Big House, USA

ken123

Big House, USA

Post by ken123 »

Was on TCM today as part of their Broderick Crawford salute. It was lousy. The acting was bad, particularity by the small part players. :cry:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

BIG HOUSE USA? One of the toughtest, meanest and least appreciated noir films of the 1950s. A superb example of Hollywood dealing with thoroughly unpleasant characters and material in a way that properly honors the true spirit of the pulp noir sensibility. FOUR STARS (for those who can take it).
vallo

Post by vallo »

While I don't want to offend anyone (Sorry Dewey) I didn't like it either. Ben Mankiewicz from TCM spoke of the (**spoilers-Blow Torch)scene., So I was waiting for something special. But was disappointed. (Maybe Horror films and working in a Hospital for 30 yrs. hardened me.) I usually love these like of films. I'll skip this and wait for 1930 "The Big House" with Wallace Berry instead.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
ken123

Post by ken123 »

" Brute Force " is my all time favorite prison film. :wink:
vallo

Post by vallo »

Ken, I also add Caged
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Vallo said: "While I don't want to offend anyone (Sorry Dewey)...I didn't like it either."

No need to apologize; film, as we all know, is a totally subjective art form. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. In the case of BIG HOUSE USA, I admire the verve that is extended by an interesting cast (Meeker, Crawford, Chaney, et al) and the relentlessly grim tone that the film generates.
Personally, I enjoy my noir on the darker side; this one is one of the darkest.
By the way, I like THE BIG HOUSE, too, as well as THE LAST MILE (both versions), EACH DAWN I DIE, the previously mentioned BRUTE FORCE and CAGED. Prison films have always held a weird fascination for me!