Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Allhallowsday

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Allhallowsday »

DEATH CURSE OF TARTU (1966) -A Messterpiece!!!

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: July 21st, 2023, 11:58 am
jimimac71 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm ...The steering wheel bit is stupid hilarious.
LOL

Yeah, either the power steering is way over-boosted on Doris' Chrysler there, or she should have her machanic take a serious look at its tie rods. ;)

(...actually, this might be the most extreme example I've ever seen of an actor "over-steering" a car's wheel while obviously being filmed in front of a rear-projected backdrop)
Before I was old enough to drive, I thought cars must be very hard to drive and keep going straight because of too much steering wheel business employed by a lot of actors back in the day. OTOH, the wheel on my parent's mid-70s LTD could be turned a 1/4 turn without turning the wheels one bit.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: July 21st, 2023, 12:08 pm
Dargo wrote: July 21st, 2023, 11:58 am
jimimac71 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm ...The steering wheel bit is stupid hilarious.
LOL

Yeah, either the power steering is way over-boosted on Doris' Chrysler there, or she should have her machanic take a serious look at its tie rods. ;)

(...actually, this might be the most extreme example I've ever seen of an actor "over-steering" a car's wheel while obviously being filmed in front of a rear-projected backdrop)
Before I was old enough to drive, I thought cars must be very hard to drive and keep going straight because of too much steering wheel business employed by a lot of actors back in the day. OTOH, the wheel on my parent's mid-70s LTD could be turned a 1/4 turn without turning the wheels one bit.
And so and speaking of "Bad Movies We Love" here...

Your thought here Tex had reminded me of some of the driving scenes in 'Hot Rods to Hell' and how I remembered Dana Andrews driving his car in that movie. However and after just now searching out the following YouTube clip of this film, I noticed Dana's handling of his (coincidentally enough, also a MOPAR) vehicle in it, was quite restrained and especially in comparsion to how Doris Day is shown driving her car in 'Julie'...

And I also noticed that it seemed most of the driving sequences in this one appear to not be as obviously filmed in front of projected backscreen as well, and even though I'd think the interior shots of Dana, Jeanne Crain (still as hot looking as ever here, btw ;) ) and their kids attempting to flee that group of hell-raising juvenile delinquents in their souped-up cars almost surely had to have been, and due to safety concerns while filming it.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

You know Dargo, flying isn't that hard.
Push the stick forward ... the houses get bigger.
Pull the stick back ... the houses get smaller.
Here is some incredible driving:
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Masha

Post by Masha »

txfilmfan wrote: July 21st, 2023, 12:08 pm
My father cheated when teaching me to drive. There was a road approx. eight miles long which required little steering because the ruts were sufficiently deep to trap the wheels. Driving at moderate speed meant having to steer only in two places where the road branched so that you stayed in the proper set of ruts. He started teaching me when I was twelve years old by positioning the automobile at one end of the road and having me drive at low speed to the other end. He would then take over to make u-turn and I would then drive back. I was quite comfortable with all operations of the automobile except for steering by the time I turned thirteen. I had to actually steer only three times during that time. Those were when there was a vehicle coming from the other direction and we both had to climb out of the ruts and use one side of the road only while we passed. There was then a pause of nearly a year in my education because I was of a height where the top of the steering wheel blocked my view of the road ahead. The seat would not go lower and I could not sit on cushions because I could not then reach the pedals.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Winding Road-Door County Wisconsin
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

THE COBWEB -- Staff and patients at a private psychiatric clinic (for "nervous disorders") obsess over their private lives and library drapes. Ridiculous soap opera also features Oscar Levant in hydrotherapy, something you've always wanted to see. And is there anything more annoyingly self-righteous than a post-Tommy Udo Richard Widmark?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 3:12 pm ...And is there anything more annoyingly self-righteous than a post-Tommy Udo Richard Widmark?
LOL

Ya know Bronxie, now that you've mentioned this here, I think you might be right about this.

(...and which might be a subject worth "pondering" upon for a bit in that thread of yours, in fact)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hey, Dargo, you can be my press agent! (like Tony Curtis in SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, lol)

I can think of five movies off the top of my head where Richard gets on one's nerves. Thank you my friend!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: July 20th, 2023, 9:47 pm
jimimac71 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm According to the Internet, which would never lie, Airport 1975 intentionally copied Julie, which was also copied for laughs in Airplane.
I too am a big Doris Day fan.
There is a colorized version of Julie and I watched the opening scene.
I"m thinking Julie is new at this driving thing. The steering wheel bit is stupid hilarious.
She can fly a plane but not drive a car...
LOL!!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 3:12 pm THE COBWEB -- Staff and patients at a private psychiatric clinic (for "nervous disorders") obsess over their private lives and library drapes. Ridiculous soap opera also features Oscar Levant in hydrotherapy, something you've always wanted to see. And is there anything more annoyingly self-righteous than a post-Tommy Udo Richard Widmark?
Great choice, especially since TCM just showed this film. What a mess and wasted opportunity of a solid cast. The only positive for me was Gloria Grahame looked great in that lushy color (but that color didn't improve those drapes!).
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm According to the Internet, which would never lie, Airport 1975 intentionally copied Julie, which was also copied for laughs in Airplane.
I"m thinking Julie is new at this driving thing. The steering wheel bit is stupid hilarious.
JULIE is on TCM Noir Alley tomorrow night!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Allhallowsday wrote: July 21st, 2023, 5:15 pm
Thanks for the reminder. I have the DVR set for the first showing.
The first one is too late and the second one is too early.
I live in CA.
Don't remember seeing it from start to finish. That happens frequently when I don't look at the TCM schedule in advance.
I seldom do that and just click the remote control. Such a bad habit.
Eager to see Eddie Muller. I'm a Doris Day fan but not so much a Noir fan.
Mom has a birthday next month and #2 son is gifting her with "Noir Bar."
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Correct, which is why yesterday I posted this:

Next week's Noir Alley file is Julie (1956), with Doris Day, Louis Jourdan and Barry Sullivan. Posting here because I found this on Wiki:

Julie is listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book The Official Razzie Movie Guide as one of the "100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made".
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 21st, 2023, 5:46 pm
Correct, which is why yesterday I posted this:

Next week's Noir Alley file is Julie (1956), with Doris Day, Louis Jourdan and Barry Sullivan. Posting here because I found this on Wiki:

Julie is listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book The Official Razzie Movie Guide as one of the "100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made".
There’s a difference between tomorrow versus next week James.
I didn’t read your post properly, which is why I have it set on my DVR for 7/22 @ 9:30 PM tomorrow.
Allhallowsday‘s post is well received by me.
Woof! You've Got Mail!