Post by Allhallowsday »

CONNIE CONVERSE How Sad, How Lovely

Intrepid37

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Intrepid37 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: April 11th, 2023, 2:27 pm

You have genuine insight. However, we are on a forum. We can call it conversation, but it's really correspondence. Ignore junk mail. I for one have liked your music choices. I also can be emphatic about music I love... and dislike...
Me too. I like and dislike certain songs.

What I don't do is personally attack other members. I leave that to bullies and report it when I see it. Hopefully, administration puts an end to it.
I don't see where anyone attacked anyone, but I believe this post by you is what started cause EP and I to reply: I think Mr. Zimmerman is a brilliant songwriter/lyricist. How anyone who has heard "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" or "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or "Tight Connection" could disagree baffles me. Each to their own, I guess.
Why would someone whose POV is that Zimmerman wasn't so brilliant, and thus disagrees with your opinion, baffle you?

Note that while I'm not much of a fan of Dylan, I'm not baffled or confused as to what others see in him. Why are you baffled others don't view Dylan like you do?

I.e. to each their own, FOR SURE. (and not I guess).
Why does my not understanding how people can disagree that the writer of such songs as mentioned is a brilliant lyricist (when that's clearly self-evident if one is actually aware of those lyrics), justify a personal accusation of me - not being baffled, but actually refusing to accept - that this is the case and then doubling down by telling me to get over it not register with you as an attack?

It most certainly is a personal attack and can only be an attempt to start a flame. And considering the perpetrators history, represents just one more example of that behavior in a line of examples.

My opinion as to the writing talent of Bob Dylan was in no way a response to any particular person here. You'll not find me accusing any specific person of not being able to get over something. I'm not a bully.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Sepiatone wrote: April 11th, 2023, 12:00 pm EP, you mentioned in the post before the one I quoted that you've reached a stage in your life and also something about speaking freely and not worrying about what people think about you. I reached that stage by my 20's. The sad thing is that most people, if they reach that stage at all, reach it way later in life than they should . . .

. . . So like you, I had to remind them(in my own way) "Life's too short for me to worry what a bunch of dumb azzes think about me."
From one "troll" to another: I like the way you think, Sepiatone.

As I recall from our exchanges on the TCM Message Boards, you also grew up with family members who had an "edge." Growing up in such an environment causes one to either be naturally skittish or develop a coarsened, calloused temperament (a "hard bark" to quote Cicero Grimes). I'd never declare "I was raised by a toothless, bearded hag, I was schooled with a strap right across my back." Childhood wasn't that extreme. But I get the impression that some SSO members could not have survived the type of household in which I grew up.

I'm still in The Rat Race, which, annoyingly, requires me to not entirely be myself while "on the clock." Because, unfortunately for me, not everyone has the "hard bark" that I have, and I must watch what I say lest a sensitive soul gets offended or hurt. I grew up with a mother who routinely told me to "let it out" and not "keep things bottled up" . . . which I tend to do. Then after I explode, people get upset and start crying and cowering and screaming for Security.

"Keep things bottled up," Ma would say, "and you'll develop an ulcer."

Thus, on the matter of ulcers, I've come to the conclusion that 'tis better to give than to receive.

Ulcers: the gift that keeps on giving.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

So I looked up Zimmerman only to find that's Dylan's true name.
He is from Duluth, Minnesota.
It gets colder than 40° below zero, but that's as low as the thermometer goes.
I can't call him brilliant if I don't "get" his music. It isn't worthy of an argument or disagreement. My taste in music is far from mainstream. I care not if some disagree.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

ROBERT PALMER Double Fun

Masha

Post by Masha »

FILKING!
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 1:26 pm As for overrated and underrated: Yes we disagree about how one uses these two terms. If I understand your POV, you believe that when a person say, Dan Duryea is underrated they are just saying "I think Dan is great!". When I hear underrated, I hear "I think Dan is great, but the overall consensus is that Dan is not-that-great, and that consensus is misguided, if not downright wrong" . . .
When you put it that way, it seems to me that we almost hear "underrated" the same way (ditto "overrated"), with one qualification. I think Dan is great, but the overall consensus is that Dan is not-that-great . . . and I really don't care about the overall consensus.
jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 1:26 pm
. . . PS: I liked how when someone said a film was the best of its kind, you asked have you seen every film. You don't hold back and I find that refreshing.
Another example of how someone can come off as arrogant when all they are trying to communicate is how much they enjoy something.
Nailed it!

I genuinely do not understand why some folks hyperbolically express their opinions. I honestly don't understand why some folks seem to think that saying "Many people agree [with me] about such and such" is a convincing argument. I seriously don't understand why some folks feel "left out" if they're not following "The In Crowd" (running with the herd).

I'll never understand why some folks give a damn about -- and put so much stock in -- other peoples' opinions.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Haha, this thread has turned into a general thoughts/musings one.

Funny it's taken such an esoteric bend, but I too lament the loss of smoking. It was a ritual I enjoyed, but gave it up at age 30 so not to add wrinkles but maybe years instead.
I took up cigars in the 2000's or so, but no guy wanted to kiss a woman with cigar breath. I have a photo of my great grandmother smoking a pipe & if I ever own a Meerschaum would take it up in a second.

I'm a Scotch drinker and currently enjoying Ardbeg, Peat Monster & my all time favorite Talisker Storm.

And I also agree song lyrics aren't poetry, although some can work well for both like Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do".

I like debate and don't care what your argument is as long as you're arguing about a subject, not another poster.
C'mon, we all make mistakes and our intended meanings can be misconstrued, but we dob't need to resort to name calling or singling anyone out.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

ROBERT PALMER Addictions, Vol. 1

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

EP Millstone wrote: April 11th, 2023, 4:04 pm ...

I genuinely do not understand why some folks hyperbolically express their opinions. I honestly don't understand why some folks seem to think that saying "Many people agree [with me] about such and such" is a convincing argument...
It isn't.
EP Millstone wrote: April 11th, 2023, 4:04 pm I'll never understand why some folks give a damn about -- and put so much stock in -- other peoples' opinions.
I understand influence, good and bad. One has to be confident that their own opinion has value. But first ownership is paramount.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I sorta remember "All I Wanna Do." I enjoyed her vocal and the tune itself.
Even in California, a pack the smokes costs more than a gallon of gasoline.
I like low cost alcohol. J&B is nice but the wrong price. I use to drink Black Velvet Canadian Whiskey. Cost $13 for the 1.75 liter before the pandemic. Could get cheap beer for 50¢ a can in the 30 pack.
Now Ma & I drink the same stuff where J&B is the priciest.
Barefoot Pinot Grigio is cheap but good.
(They are now owned by Gallo).
Speaking of Canadian Black Velvet:

Now I have a hankering for some Sheena Easton:

Sheena is from Scotland. Amazing how I can tie it all together.
Here is one more tune just because it was so much fun in 1995!
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

ESQUIVEL! More of Other Worlds, Other Sounds

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 3:25 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 2:33 pm

Me too. I like and dislike certain songs.

What I don't do is personally attack other members. I leave that to bullies and report it when I see it. Hopefully, administration puts an end to it.
I don't see where anyone attacked anyone, but I believe this post by you is what started cause EP and I to reply: I think Mr. Zimmerman is a brilliant songwriter/lyricist. How anyone who has heard "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" or "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or "Tight Connection" could disagree baffles me. Each to their own, I guess.
Why would someone whose POV is that Zimmerman wasn't so brilliant, and thus disagrees with your opinion, baffle you?

Note that while I'm not much of a fan of Dylan, I'm not baffled or confused as to what others see in him. Why are you baffled others don't view Dylan like you do?

I.e. to each their own, FOR SURE. (and not I guess).
Why does my not understanding how people can disagree that the writer of such songs as mentioned is a brilliant lyricist (when that's clearly self-evident if one is actually aware of those lyrics), justify a personal accusation of me - not being baffled, but actually refusing to accept - that this is the case and then doubling down by telling me to get over it not register with you as an attack?

It most certainly is a personal attack and can only be an attempt to start a flame. And considering the perpetrators history, represents just one more example of that behavior in a line of examples.

My opinion as to the writing talent of Bob Dylan was in no way a response to any particular person here. You'll not find me accusing any specific person of not being able to get over something. I'm not a bully.
Come on, can't you see that saying your opinion is self-evident is way over the top? Anyhow carry on. I'm going to listen to a truly brilliant lyricist and songwriter, John Lennon.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 6:41 pm
Lenny there is like a cross between BEACH BOYS Wild Honey and VELVET UNDERGROUND Loaded ...