Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

jimimac71 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 6:24 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 21st, 2023, 5:46 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: July 21st, 2023, 5:15 pm
JULIE is on TCM Noir Alley tomorrow night!
Correct, which is why yesterday I posted this:

Next week's Noir Alley file is Julie (1956), with Doris Day, Louis Jourdan and Barry Sullivan. Posting here because I found this on Wiki:

Julie is listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book The Official Razzie Movie Guide as one of the "100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made".
There’s a difference between tomorrow versus next week James.
I didn’t read your post properly, which is why I have it set on my DVR for 7/22 @ 9:30 PM tomorrow.
Allhallowsday‘s post is well received by me.
Allwallowsday's posts are always well received by me also. I did mess that one up and should have said this week.

My main reason for posting at this specific thread was the reference to the Golden Raspberry Award.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It's all good James!
I'm looking forward to the entire film.
I've seen the end.
I'm almost interested in getting the colorized DVD.
I know, most Noir is B/W.
I love the song "Julie."
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 21st, 2023, 5:10 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 3:12 pm THE COBWEB -- Staff and patients at a private psychiatric clinic (for "nervous disorders") obsess over their private lives and library drapes. Ridiculous soap opera also features Oscar Levant in hydrotherapy, something you've always wanted to see. And is there anything more annoyingly self-righteous than a post-Tommy Udo Richard Widmark?
Great choice, especially since TCM just showed this film. What a mess and wasted opportunity of a solid cast. The only positive for me was Gloria Grahame looked great in that lushy color (but that color didn't improve those drapes!).

Thanks. It's a wonderfully embarrassing movie, n'est pas? I think those stupid drapes are supposed to be some sort of metaphor for Life, lol.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 3:12 pm THE COBWEB -- Staff and patients at a private psychiatric clinic (for "nervous disorders") obsess over their private lives and library drapes. Ridiculous soap opera also features Oscar Levant in hydrotherapy, something you've always wanted to see. And is there anything more annoyingly self-righteous than a post-Tommy Udo Richard Widmark?
I prefer to think of the drapes as a macguffin, with the movie really being about administrative politics. It's not as bad as everybody likes to pick on it as being.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I prefer not to think about the drapes at all when you come right down to it, lol but you could be right, Fedya. Whenever I see Lillian Gish and Charles Boyer duking it out I'm reminded of TOOTSIE: "Miss Kimberly, there's no reason for us to be enemies. We can rule Southwest General together!"
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

JULIE (1956) Eck. We are inflicted with DORIS DAY's angst from the git-go. LOUIS JORDAN is a CREEP within seconds.
I would describe the movie JULIE as protracted. I did not love it.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Allhallowsday wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 1:41 pm JULIE (1956) Eck. We are inflicted with DORIS DAY's angst from the git-go. LOUIS JORDAN is a CREEP within seconds.
If you mean too long by "protracted," I feel the same way about Gypsy.
Watched the entire film for the first time.
Yankee Doodle Dandy is fun all the way through, even the early part.
While I love Auntie Mame, Rosalind Russell is too verbose in Gypsy.
Love/Don't love some of Natalie Woods' movies.
Julie is on my DVR.
Got a feeling watching it will not be enjoyable. That's a shame, as it is Doris Day after all.
I would laugh if Eddie Muller says Doris was a bad match for the film.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm a Doris Day fan but JULIE is awful. Poor Doris, so ill-served by all her husbands (in real life). Those lovely Carmel settings just do not jibe with the hokey Victorian "had I but known" genre of women terrorized by a homicidal spouse. Day's voiceovers do not help. "I felt strangely disturbed" No kidding. Then of course there is the incongruity of those final infamous airplane scenes. "Lift the left wing higher, honey"
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 2:02 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 1:41 pm JULIE (1956) Eck. We are inflicted with DORIS DAY's angst from the git-go. LOUIS JORDAN is a CREEP within seconds.
If you mean too long by "protracted," ...
Protracted as in tedious.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I recommended this movie (Julie) to a cousin who was a stewardess/flight attendant with both Pan AM and United.
She was born to fly. She doesn't have TCM and purchased the DVD.
Except for the end, she may :smiley_sick: the rest of the movie.
Good thing we are nice friends.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

OMG!
I have never seen THE COBWEB, but I wonder if the obsession with the drapes in that movie was the inspiration for the dinner table exchange between Dr. Richard Thorndyke, the new head of the Psycho-Neurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous and his colleagues Dr. Wentworth and Nurse Diesel about the changes that had been proposed by Thorndyke's predecessor Dr. Ashley, who died under mysterious circumstances.

DR THORNDYKE It came to my attention that just before Dr. Ashley’s untimely death, he was planning to make some very big changes here at the Institute. Do any of you know specifically what those changes might be?
DR WENTWORTH Well, for one thing he wanted to change –
NURSE DIESEL The drapes.
DR THORNDYKE The drapes?
NURSE DIESEL The drapes. He wanted to change the drapes in the psychotic game room.
DR THORNDYKE That was the extent of the big change? The drapes?
NURSE DIESEL Oh, yes. Dr. Ashley felt that color has a great deal to do with the well-being of the emotionally disturbed.

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I found another one last night, 1982's Yes Giorgio, the vehicle for Pavarotti. It got scorched earth reviews, its corny as all get out, and it is a plot that probably passed its sell by date around 1940 (when the studios largely, except for the later Mario Lanza, stopped making all those operatic musicals), but its also cute, likable,and I could not resist some fine operatic performances.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 4:52 pm
OMG!
I have never seen THE COBWEB, but I wonder if the obsession with the drapes in that movie was the inspiration for the dinner table exchange between Dr. Richard Thorndyke, the new head of the Psycho-Neurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous and his colleagues Dr. Wentworth and Nurse Diesel about the changes that had been proposed by Thorndyke's predecessor Dr. Ashley, who died under mysterious circumstances.

DR THORNDYKE It came to my attention that just before Dr. Ashley’s untimely death, he was planning to make some very big changes here at the Institute. Do any of you know specifically what those changes might be?
DR WENTWORTH Well, for one thing he wanted to change –
NURSE DIESEL The drapes.
DR THORNDYKE The drapes?
NURSE DIESEL The drapes. He wanted to change the drapes in the psychotic game room.
DR THORNDYKE That was the extent of the big change? The drapes?
NURSE DIESEL Oh, yes. Dr. Ashley felt that color has a great deal to do with the well-being of the emotionally disturbed.

OMG back at you, Holden! I should have remembered HIGH ANXIETY!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 2:30 pm I'm a Doris Day fan but JULIE is awful. Poor Doris, so ill-served by all her husbands (in real life). Those lovely Carmel settings just do not jibe with the hokey Victorian "had I but known" genre of women terrorized by a homicidal spouse. Day's voiceovers do not help. "I felt strangely disturbed" No kidding. Then of course there is the incongruity of those final infamous airplane scenes. "Lift the left wing higher, honey"
They could've done without the overheated narration. I think she says "strangely disturbing" twice in the film! The only place where it helped was explaining the apt in S.F. but they could've had her explain that in dialog. Still, the film is very entertaining and moves along at a brisk pace. I can't see Anne Francis pulling it off (Eddie mentioned it was originally intended for her) She just didn't have the star power.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

The Spirit by Frank Miller is a bad movie that I love. How can you not enjoy these silly henchmen? :D

[url][

“We was there. We was watching.” :D