'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Partly sunny, high of 49, low in the mid 30's. No severe weather forecast, it's been quite cold but clear. I'll stand outside and wave as they go by!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks - he's been gone over the rainbow for about 8 weeks and we can't wait to get him home.

It's windy again so I have to pick which side of the house I can stand to sleep in!

B
Birdy

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by Birdy »

Last Saturday it was so cold in the house we had to use space heaters to make life tolerable (and even then I had to work up the guts to change clothes). Today it was over 70 degrees and hot enough to sweat and burn in the sunshine! They had predicted rain in today but it held off till after dark. Knitty, I heard you had a foot of snow last week; we were freezing cold but no actual accumulation. Judith, are you people melted out yet?

I hope everyone got a little taste of spring this weekend. Here, trees and bushes are budding, bulbs are pushing up, robins are everywhere and tonight I heard crickets and tree frogs. The world has come alive!
B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

We've had 3 glorious days of Spring. Shortest one on record....it's raining, the temps are going for a high of 38 for the week, and ol man Winter just won't leave. Some folks just don't know when to leave a party. Like Mark Twain of Hannibal Missouri said, "Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Birdy wrote: Judith, are you people melted out yet?

I hope everyone got a little taste of spring this weekend. Here, trees and bushes are budding, bulbs are pushing up, robins are everywhere and tonight I heard crickets and tree frogs. The world has come alive!
B
Haven't seen/heard any robins yet, but we do have a family or two of them in residence in the Spring/Summer and I expect they will be showing up soon. We had a very mild weekend, and some parts of NYC hit 70 degrees. There's just a hint of solid slush left here and there on parts of the pavement that don't get any direct sun. Most trees are budding, at least where I live in Brooklyn, and many gardens are starting to show crocus and snowdrop shoots. Mild and rainy today, just like Spring. And Evil Monty the Cat is shedding like mad and hacking up hairballs, a sure sign of the approach of warmer weather.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

75 degrees f and sunny here, anyone else?
Better enjoy it, 50's for the next several days.
B
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Baltimore. Spring. What spring?

cc: Whiny Thread.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

LOL!
I'm so sorry - what do you people do - just launch into full blown summer on the 4th of July?
I have to say I've never been to your fair state but would love to visit someday.
B
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We hope for a gradual warming by the first week in April. August can be pretty hot here. WIth the humidity is can be pretty uncomfortable. We have, it seems, in the past gone from winter to summer. As reference it was in the upper 60's last Sunday and when I left for work this morning it was 30. All in all it beats being in South Dakota this week.

There is plenty to see here if you like history and it's about 40 minutes to DC where they have some pretty good history too. Let us know if you ever get the chance.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Winter came back to NYC yesterday, and last night was one of cold temperatures and howling winds. However, although it's still chilly and windy today, it's dry and sunny and not at all unpleasant. There are new flowers and tiny leaves all over the City, and I've seen a few yellow forsythia leaves here and there. No robins yet, however, but that may be because they've gone to a new neighborhood this year -- our Brooklyn birds like to change residence from time to time. All of our parrots seemed to leave us last summer, and their huge twig nests are by now falling apart (most were built on telephone poles, under the switch boxes). They can still be seen flying around Sheepshead Bay, but they spend their evenings somewhere else.

By the way, Chris, I have very nice memories of my last visit to Balto., some years ago. I enjoyed riding the little boats in the Inner Harbor, and I really liked the National Aquarium, which I found lots better than the more highly-touted New England Aquarium. I also liked the food I had in various places around town. The seafood was really good.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:
By the way, Chris, I have very nice memories of my last visit to Balto., some years ago. I enjoyed riding the little boats in the Inner Harbor, and I really liked the National Aquarium, which I found lots better than the more highly-touted New England Aquarium. I also liked the food I had in various places around town. The seafood was really good.

Hey, Brooklyn Gal;

The best thing about the NE Aquarium is it's hidden claim-to-fame for being where "missing person" Jimmy Hoffa was fed to a tankful of hungry tiger sharks by Kennedy family goons, as wheelchair-bound matriarch Rose & her baby-boy Teddy watched, in a private midnight ceremony on 8/16/84; it's all supposed to be a Big Secret, just like Jimmy having set-up the RFK hit, so don't spread it around. :wink:
As for Atlantic seafood, I'm sure Baltimore offers some succulent faves, but do make sure your bucket list covers Salisbury Beach fried clams, & a fresh-caught Kittery lobstah (ask for a "spider" or a "bull", you'll get more for your cash).
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jdb1 wrote: By the way, Chris, I have very nice memories of my last visit to Balto., some years ago. I enjoyed riding the little boats in the Inner Harbor, and I really liked the National Aquarium, which I found lots better than the more highly-touted New England Aquarium. I also liked the food I had in various places around town. The seafood was really good.
We may not be able to field a baseball team to remotely compete with anyone else but do we know how to do crabcakes.
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Crabcakes are nice, but the Maryland delicacy is a sack (or is it a bag?) full of softshelled crab, so spicy that you're required by law to drink several beers.

Oh...and the lobster is fine in Maine.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Re: Seafood.
My husband's family lived on more than one coast and travels to the ocean any chance they get. They love seafood - me, not so much. Whenever they try to eat oysters or lobster or whatever around here, I always tease them 'Too far inland for seafood!' I can't tell you the number of times they've gotten sick after taking such a risk. I try to wait a couple of days before they see me laughing!
(You can get good seafood in St. Louis and Chicago, but Terre Haute? I wouldn't try it.)

B
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

C'mon Birdy.... I had sushi (SUSHI, for goodness sake) in Springfield, IL once. The sushi chef treated me as if I were a visiting dignitary and the first person to order his delicacies...which did make me wonder just how long it had been in inventory. On the other hand, the Director of the IL Department of Public Health, after I told him, wanted to have me found "a danger to self or others." But I survived.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles