100 Films Closer to Death

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
srowley75

Re: 100 Films Closer to Death

Post by srowley75 »

I've wanted to rent the documentary for some time. I've seen the film but (1) in pan and scan and (2) when I was far too young to appreciate it fully.

We've sidetracked a bit from the shortlist I posted a while back. After a discussion we had a day or so ago, she was curious about Carmen Jones, so I'm going to put that one in the player today. I'll report back later once we've finished it.
Last edited by srowley75 on February 7th, 2010, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

MichiganJ wrote:You should check out the documentary Hearts of Darkness--A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. The cost of the production is only the beginning of the story.

I know about Martin Sheen's heart attack and Brando's weightgain, I know the production was beset by problems, hopefully Heart of Darkness will get released in the UK one day or be part of a box set.

Carmen Jones is great, I think your sister will really like it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Thanks to a conversation on (1) musicals and (2) opera, we wound up deviating from our regularly scheduled lineup and watching Carmen Jones, which was a moderate hit. I think she liked it well enough but it's not one that I'd call a favorite of hers. She did seem to enjoy the music, though the singing style wasn't really to her liking. And I think she liked both Dandridge and Belafonte. I enjoyed seeing a very young Diahann Carroll, whom I'd forgotten had a minor role in the film.

We also started Midnight Cowboy last night. God only knows what the verdict is going to be about that one.
charliechaplinfan

I liked the leads in Carmen Jones, I thought they had great chemistry and I loved all of the numbers.

I look forward to hearing what your sister thinks of Midnight Cowboy. My husband will watch movies with me but they have to be from the late sixties onwards and my favorite time period is usually anything preceding that. Anyway, we did watch this movies together, I think I was more taken with it, I thought there was a fine use of soundtrack throughout the movie and certainly watchable but I wonder if it did so well at the box office because it was X rated? Heck, I might be cynical, I'm not really the audience the film was aimed at but for me good movie but not great.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

srowley wrote:

We also started Midnight Cowboy last night. God only knows what the verdict is going to be about that one.
If she doesn't like it, just tell her...

It's just - Know what happened? You just took a little rest stop that wasn't on the schedule!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:If she doesn't like it, just tell her...
Just tell me what? :P
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

We finished Midnight Cowboy last evening. I firmly believe this was one of those films that suffered due to our compulsion to interrupt films midway through, thanks to life constantly forcing its way into our living room - be it via my sister's homework assignments, the dog's bowels/bladder, a phone call from relatives, etc. A couple nights ago, before I had to stop the film, the story plugged along at a steady pace and Sis was interested in what was going on. She mentioned how much she liked Voight and Hoffman (we both thought Voight had a childlike face even then, and I'm sure that aspect must've contributed to his getting the part - she also kept making comments about his face in comparison with Angelina Jolie's). Then we restarted the film last night near the scene when Voight was approached in the restaurant to attend the Warhol-esque party and she wasn't really as into it (though Rizzo's worsening condition eventually drew her back in). I took the party scene as an opportunity to talk to her about Warhol (Viva is in the film, as are a couple other Warhol names I didn't recognize as we were watching). I was hoping Warhol himself would make an appearance but no luck (by the way, does anyone else know that Martin Kove - of The Karate Kid fame - appeared in one of those crazy Warhol films, in a makeout scene with a drag queen? Honestly, you just never can tell about people...)

Overall, I think she was intrigued. She thought the portion alluded to by ChiO was amusing though sad. And she complained a bit about the ending - without spoiling too much, I'll just say that she wanted to know more about what would happen to Voight's character.

I'd forgotten about Brenda Vaccaro having anything to do with this movie. I have to believe this is the film that launched her somewhat wobbly career (though despite her bad films, you have to admire a woman who managed to snag an Oscar nod for a role in a film based on a Jacqueline Susann novel).
charliechaplinfan

I'm glad it's not just me who has to take constant interruptions from film watching. Switch the dogs for kids and sister's homework for my kids homework, then there's the constant getting of kids drinks, the kids not sleeping, the phone etc. It's bliss to watch a film from one end to the other without interruption. I'm just glad I'm not alone :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hear you too about the interruptions... I have both kid and dog..... and husband, for that matter..

I really like Midnight Cowboy. First of all, I like Dustin a lot here, I do watch almost any movie he's in.

Jon Voight is a very hit or miss actor with me, but there are two performances of his that I really love - one is this one, and the other is in Conrack.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Interruptions don't bother me unless (1) they're repetitious (like, 5-6 within a half hour, and that has happened before) or (2) they're ill timed, as when a film has grabbed my attention or when the story has reached a pivotal moment. I think (2) was our problem with Midnight Cowboy. A third option still would be when a long time passes between the interruption and when we're able to rejoin the film. My memory sucks to the point that, when this happens, we may as well start the film from the beginning again.

Since Rebekah's been so busy with school lately, I've been viewing quite a few films from the late 1970s that I'd not yet seen. I think 1979 may have become one of my favorite film years. I might post some mini-reviews at the end of the week.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I used to get interrupted as family members came in and asked me what I was watching. Then they would ask who was in and what was going on. Back in the day before VCRs and DVDs they would always ask during the film and never during the commercials.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

2 cats, 2 kids, 1 husband, 1 mother who always rings when I've just sat down to watch something. I'm the same as you, it's only when the interruptions are repitious, which they can be, or when the suspense has been built up only for it to dissipate because someone wants a drink of water.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

We started The Umbrellas of Cherbourg tonight. We're about halfway through, but I think Rebekah's liked the art direction more than the music so far.
charliechaplinfan

I love Umbrellas of Cherbourg, hope Rebekah does too.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

We finally finished Umbrellas of Cherbourg tonight. Overall, Rebekah seemed to find the story interesting. One thing she pointed out (to my amusement) was how often the characters' wardrobes seemed to match the sets. But while she seemed to be taken in by the bright colors used in the set design, I don't think she was as enamored by the music/singing. From what I could tell, she viewed it as gimmicky.

We'll be trying to view Le Million and/or Young Girls of Rochefort tomorrow evening. Not only for the sake of the 1001 list, but I also want to be able to vote in the musical poll.

Discussion question: why do you think the director/screenwriter chose the title he did? The story seemed to have little to do with umbrellas. (I had my own opinion about their symbolism, but I'd like to hear from others as well, if they have any suggestions.)