MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CinemaInternational

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by CinemaInternational »

laffite wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:24 pm Maybe Hitch was expanding his horizons to keep up with the times. Time to get grisly. Psycho was a passage in this respect but less graphic. And was it after the rape, murder, and maiming, that the camera eye ever so slowly backs out of the building, from the door, down the stairs, out the front door, and unto the street, or was that before?
The camera shot came later in the film as the killer offscreen was claiming another victim. That second death was definitely not shown as much as the grisly first one. You're probably right, Hitch wanted to show he could still shock in the permissive early 70s. That said, I think the scene in Deliverance stole the thunder for the biggest screen shock of horror in 1972.
laffite

Post by laffite »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:27 pm
laffite wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:24 pm Maybe Hitch was expanding his horizons to keep up with the times. Time to get grisly. Psycho was a passage in this respect but less graphic. And was it after the rape, murder, and maiming, that the camera eye ever so slowly backs out of the building, from the door, down the stairs, out the front door, and unto the street, or was that before?
The camera shot came later in the film as the killer offscreen was claiming another victim. That second death was definitely not shown as much as the grisly first one. You're probably right, Hitch wanted to show he could still shock in the permissive early 70s. That said, I think the scene in Deliverance stole the thunder for the biggest screen shock of horror in 1972.
I don't readily remember the film but I do recall a scene that was so disturbing I couldn't get it out my mind, and had trouble falling asleep. The fallen branch that pinned a character underwater. I'm guessing, however, that this is not the scene you have in mind. If you are referring to something more in the vein of Frenzy, some dreadful deed thrust upon one human being by another, I don't remember it. I was still drowning.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hitch was always straining at the bit. What were his directorial instructions during that marital rape scene in 1964's MARNIE -- (I have to clean it up) "I want a close-up of her face when he does it"
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:19 pm I wonder if Missy screams in FLESH AND FANTASY. She does have a knack for raising her voice extremely well in many films although not sure they rise to shriek levels.
"...have a knack for raising her voice..." is a start (for proving my thesis). I am still holding out for full-throated screams but now I waver. What if I am insisting on what may be closer to your idea. It's dawning on me that the business of the scream factor may not be all that :shock: important. No comment, I am ready to drop the whole thing. :smiley_cheer:

By the way, Lady of the Bronx, you elicited a kind word on my new avatar somewhere recently and I can't find it now. It's San Diego, taken from the longest pier on the West Coast (1,971 feet) and with a few touches of Adobe Elements to make it look the beginning of a dark and gloomy night. The title mentioned in the signature section is mine. It seems so Hitch.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite, you are fickle with Hank!

But that new avatar is wonderfully surreal.

Stanwyck I do believe reaches near-shriek levels while simultaneously yelling and blubbering at her Golden Boy in EXECUTIVE SUITE.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:19 pm Hitch was always straining at the bit. What were his directorial instructions during that marital rape scene in 1964's MARNIE -- (I have to clean it up) "I want a close-up of her face when he does it"
My teacher -- Donald Spoto -- felt that Psycho/The Birds/Marnie comprised a trilogy, with Marnie being the conclusion/resolution. But it was a long time ago, I don't remember his rationale. I have my notes somewhere... I did see the new opera Marnie a few years ago.

Hitchcock is all about vision, whether in Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds, etc. I remember Donald compared the mother's eyes in Psycho with the pecked out eyes of the farmer in The Birds.

And vision, of course, is how we watch movies.

Last edited by Swithin on January 28th, 2023, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Delete duplicate (why do I always do this?)
Last edited by Swithin on January 27th, 2023, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Very, very interesting, Swithin!

Hitchcock was the original Peeping Tom. (wonder what he thought of that movie)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Deleted triplicate post! (I think I've been clicking the "quote" button instead of the "edit" button.)
Last edited by Swithin on January 27th, 2023, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: January 26th, 2023, 8:30 pm . . . While in Stratford-upon-Avon, we happened upon a street performer with a strong Cockney accent whose routine consisted of juggling and jokes.

When he got to his grand finale, an escape from a straitjacket, he told the crowd surrounding him that he needed an assistant to help buckle all its buckles and straps and to make sure he was actually secured within it . . .
I detest entertainers like that! But then, I'm not the easy-going, affable fellow that you are, Dargo.

Were an entertainer to ask me to be a volunteer in his/her act, I'd snap, "If I'm going to be part of your act, slice me off a cut of the box office action! No free lunch! And for the record: You am De Entertainer! I am De Entertainee!"
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: January 27th, 2023, 3:44 pm
Dargo wrote: January 26th, 2023, 8:30 pm . . . While in Stratford-upon-Avon, we happened upon a street performer with a strong Cockney accent whose routine consisted of juggling and jokes.

When he got to his grand finale, an escape from a straitjacket, he told the crowd surrounding him that he needed an assistant to help buckle all its buckles and straps and to make sure he was actually secured within it . . .
I detest entertainers like that! But then, I'm not the easy-going, affable fellow that you are, Dargo.

Were an entertainer to ask me to be a volunteer in his/her act, I'd snap, "If I'm going to be part of your act, slice me off a cut of the box office action! No free lunch! And for the record: You am De Entertainer! I am De Entertainee!"
When living NYC they were annoying on account of being so ubiquitous. Then one day walking Bleeker Street I ran across a fellow who was playing Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, sans orchestra, first movement beginning to end. That didn't change anything in street entertaining chez moi but it was certainly a refreshing change of fare.
The Shining Hour (1938)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: January 27th, 2023, 4:24 pm When living NYC they were annoying on account of being so ubiquitous. Then one day walking Bleeker Street I ran across a fellow who was playing Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, sans orchestra, first movement beginning to end. That didn't change anything in street entertaining chez moi but it was certainly a refreshing change of fare.
Do street musicians in NYC often recruit passersby to accompany them? I might be willing to swing Beethoven's Fifth on the kazoo -- but, again, only for a piece of the action ($$$), Yehudi!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:52 am

Then of course we have Al Pacino. ("She can't even be a mother because her womb is so POLLUTED!")
Yes, Al has played his share of gangsters of various descriptions. Al, try to find out from "Big Boy" Caprice where
Jimmy Hoffa is buried, even if it would be anachronistic.

I try not to think of Frenzy whenever someone says lovely. Lovely........lovely.........looovvveeellllyyyy. :smiley_sick:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: January 27th, 2023, 5:00 pm
laffite wrote: January 27th, 2023, 4:24 pm When living NYC they were annoying on account of being so ubiquitous. Then one day walking Bleeker Street I ran across a fellow who was playing Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, sans orchestra, first movement beginning to end. That didn't change anything in street entertaining chez moi but it was certainly a refreshing change of fare.
Do street musicians in NYC often recruit passersby to accompany them? I might be willing to swing Beethoven's Fifth on the kazoo -- but, again, only for a piece of the action ($$$), Yehudi!
LOL

(...wasn't his name used for a Jerry Colonna catchphrase?) ;)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I wonder if Michael Caine was considered for FRENZY.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on January 27th, 2023, 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.