*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Western Guy

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Western Guy »

Love the following:

In 1942, Charlotte Greenwood participated in the famed Hollywood Victory Caravan, in which over fifty film stars traveled by train across the country to Washington D.C. to raise funds for the war effort. The trip culminated with a visit to Eleanor Roosevelt at the White House, where Charlotte made one of her signature high kicks over the First Lady’s head, prompting Groucho Marx to comment to Mrs. Roosevelt, “You could do that, too, if you put your mind to it.”

Leave it to the irrepressible Groucho.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

That is funny, Stone. I could just picture Groucho blurting that out to the first lady.
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You had to love Groucho, Joe. Nothing was off limits to his unique brand of humor. Just LOVE Grouch and The Boys!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Marlene Dietrich keeps an eye on her luggage (wow)
Joseph Goodheart
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Wow indeed, Joe. :o Reminds me of photos I've seen of Judy and her luggage, such as:
. . .but I think Marlene's got her beat. :)

Here's Vic Damone rehearsing for Hit the Deck, with Debbie Reynolds:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

Oh no, neither Marlene nor Judy would have beaten my grandmother nor Dolores Gray..

I count only count 5 steamer trunks ( and small ones!) with Marlene and 5 hat boxes and 2 trunks and 3 boxes. And, where's her jewel case?
Nell had at least 17 steamer trunks and 20 hat boxes and a very large jewel case...
Dolores once topped her with 19 steamer trunks!!!
Judy is just a picker - luggage wise....

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

mongoII wrote:Image
Marlene Dietrich keeps an eye on her luggage (wow)
Wow, this is an understatement of the year ...
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

That's amazing, Larry. What on earth did they bring with them, other than clean underwear?
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Now, this brings back memories. I could just hear the intro music.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ELEANOR PARKER is 91 today

JUNE PREISSER (1920 - 1984)

PETER LORRE (1904 - 1964)

JEANNE EAGELS (1890 - 1929)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A special remembrance of Universal Studios costume designer Vera West on her birthday today
VERA WEST (1900 - 1947)

You must have seen the name of Vera West in the credits of numerous Universal films. She was a costume designer who specialized in gowns etc. for their leading ladies. I was impressed by a silk night gown she designed for lovely Ramsay Ames in "The Mummy's Ghost" after which she ended up an aged old lady in the swamp.
In any event in researching Miss West I came across an outrageous account on how the talented lady died at the age of 47.

Vera West. It's a name you see almost every time you watch a Universal horror flick. Just who the heck was Vera West anyways? Little information comes up with internet searches. What we do know is that Vera West was the head costume designer for almost every Universal horror film during the golden age. I didn't realize just how fruitful she was until I recently checked her credentials over at the IMDB. Wow! This woman provided gowns and costumes from the late 20s starting with The Man Who Laughs (1928) all the way up until the time of her untimely death in 1947. That's a helluva a lot of gowns! Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man, Mummy, .. on and on it goes. She was there for all of it.

What I did find during my internet search was a bit alarming if not entirely sad. Vera West died by her own hand much in the same way James Whale had; death by intentional drowning. Vera seemed to believe she was a victim of extortion and blackmail. In 1947 she had left behind a suicide note stating, “This is the only way. I am tired of being blackmailed.” Also in the note Vera states a fortune teller had told her that death was her only escape from this tortuous blackmail. Oddly enough, her husband at the time acknowledged no case of blackmail ever having taken place with Vera! Was Vera suffering from delusional paranoia? Police found her floating in the pool behind her home on June 29, 1947. Just as James Whale had grown weary of life's woes, so had Vera West. One is reminded of the fast paced way of life in Hollywood. It's sink or swim, and in this case two very talented individuals made their unfortunate decisions all too clear.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The makeup artist of "House of Frankenstein", Jack Pierce, is attacked by Boris Karloff and J. Carrol Naish
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
GARY CROSBY (1933 - 1995)

RAY McDONALD (1920 - 1959)

SKELTON KNAGGS (1911 - 1955)

BILLY CURTIS (1909 - 1988)

MORONI OLSEN (1889 - 1954)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Sergeants Martin Painkin and Reginald White have a dream dinner with Anne Baxter at the Waldorf Astoria. January, 1945
Joseph Goodheart
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Walter Huston rehearses a song with AM for their new MGM musical Summer Holiday.