*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Western Guy

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Western Guy »

Joe, there were noted physical discrepancies between the man shot outside the Biograph on July 22, 1934 and John Dillinger: including height and weight (the dead man was shorter and heavier), eye color (Dillinger's eyes were blue, the dead man's were brown), an appendix scar on the corpse although Dillinger had never had such an operation. There also was evidence that the dead man had a congenital rheumatic condition, which would have precluded Dillinger's famed athletic abilities, like vaulting over teller's cages. There's also a lot of internal intrigue that went on as well involving the Chicago police, that I write about in my book "Dustbowl Desperados" (where I also explode some other myths about 30s public enemies).

One other point: Given Dillinger's character it seems highly improbable that he would have attempted to draw on the G-men (especially in the company of two women) knowing that he was probably cornered. It seems more likely that he would have surrendered, as he had on past occasions when he knew he had virtually no chance of escape. The exception was the Bohemia Lodge shootout, but Dillinger was in the company of other hoods, like Baby Face Nelson, somewhat evening the odds.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Very interesting, Stone. I've got to get a copy of your book. So, where was Dillinger actually done in?
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

That's the mystery, Joe. In later years Chicago newspapers apparently received letters from a fellow living in California claiming to be Dillinger. He even included a photograph which, from my recollection, did resemble an aged Dillinger.

Dillinger was no dummy and I really believe after Little Bohemia he realized that it was time for him to "retire". He underwent plastic surgery in Chicago and outside of whatever really happened at the Biograph Theater in 1934, he kept an unusually low profile. Would be interesting to have a DNA analysis performed on the body in the Indiana grave. The trouble is a good three feet of concrete was poured on top of the casket -- apparently to discourage ghoulish souvenir hunters.

Strange, though, how such extremes were not used on the graves of other public enemies -- or even Al Capone, for that matter. So IMO that also raises some suspicions about who was really killed that July night.

Anyhoo, it's fun to speculate. There's questions surrounding Jesse James, Billy the Kid and Butch Cassidy's demises, too.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks, Stone.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Greer Garson with her mother, Nina, and cat, Rama Dhipati, at her Beverly Hills cottage. June, 1939
Joseph Goodheart
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Stone, that's fascinating! I want a copy of that book, too! :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
PATRICIA HITCHCOCK is 85 today

RICHARD GARLAND (1927 - 1969)

RAYMOND HATTON (1887 - 1971)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Zany Martha Raye at her home in 1938
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Studio chief Jack Warner doesn't seem to amused with an unkempt Humphrey Bogart at a luncheon at Warner Bros. Studios
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Another classic shot, Joe!

And Bogie doesn't exactly look as if he's having the time of his life either.

Picture is worth a thousand words. Looks to sum up the feelings of both men towards one another during Bogart's Warner days.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, I think it's safe to say that both men didn't get along with one another.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
MARTY FELDMAN (1933 - 1982) I miss this guy

CRAIG STEVENS (1918 - 2000)

FAYE EMERSON (1917 - 1983)

GLENN LANGAN (1917 - 1991)

EUGENE PALLETTE (1889 - 1954)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A still from the set of "Tomorrow, the World!" with Skip Homeier (brilliant as a cruel Nazi youth), and the talented Joan Carroll
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Janet Leigh and hubby Tony Curtis take a spin on the floor
Joseph Goodheart
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Candids is a great place to learn. For instance Eugene Pallette was born and died 1889 and 1954, the same as my Dad. They were a different shape.

The still from Tomorrow The World (1944) is also something to reminisce over. Skip went on to become a hard worker in the industry, appearing in some 133 movies and TV. Joan retired at age 18, and seems to have disappeared. While other juveniles may still be found. She was not even mentioned in Dick Moore`s book.