100 Films Closer to Death

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: 100 Films Closer to Death

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've never really thought of their symbolism, I thought they were chosen to highlight the bright look of the film, the mother and daughter could have run any kind of shop. Giving it more thought though, I think the umbrellas are symbolism for the shelter they provide, it's only when stepping out of the shop that Genevieve encounters love and sex, this theory falls down a little as she encounters Roland within the shop. So perhaps the umbrellas symbolise the protection of her mother, her mother being quite willing to give her in marriage to the wealthier Roland rather than the penniles, conscripted Guy.

Incidentally, Roland Cassard appears in Demy's 1961 film Lola, it will give you the back story of his character. Lola in itself is worth seeing for Anouk Aimee's performance.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Thanks for the information re: Lola. I didn't know that or else I'd forgotten it totally. We'll have to try to watch Lola soon - I think it's on the 1001 list.

Re: the symbolism, our take was similar - I wondered if perhaps it had anything to do with the song "Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella." But the gist was the same as what you're basically saying - umbrellas protect from the rain (i.e., gloom, doom) and it was interesting that, once Guy impregnates Genevieve, the umbrellas fade from view. Eventually they're gone completely. Plus, the umbrellas appear colorful, happy. Though the end of the film takes place during the holidays, it's nevertheless colder and darker.

A couple days ago, we watched Le Million (1931). Rebekah seemed fairly indifferent about it, though we agreed that the best scenes took place once the jacket fell into the hands of a pompous baritone. We both remarked that the film had to have inspired a memorable episode of The Golden Girls in which the women lose a winning lottery ticket in a jacket that ends up being acquired by Michael Jackson (the episode didn't end quite the same as the film, however).
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Last night we viewed Gimme Shelter (1970), the Maysles' fascinating documentary on the Rolling Stones' disastrous free concert at Altamont that many believe sounded the death knell for the era of peace and love.

In a sense, this film was a hit - while I doubt Rebekah will revisit it ever again, the Stones' performances and the sights of the chaos at the concert had her riveted to the screen the whole time. This was the third or fourth viewing for me, and what sticks out to me every time was just how fortunate everyone was - given the logistics and the insanity driving it all (the egos as well as the drugs and alcohol), the denouement could've been much, much worse. (Favorite moment: Grace Slick and the rest of Jefferson Airplane chiding the Hell's Angels on stage.)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My favorite Stones film was the one with the "potty mouth" title. There was a really good write up in TCM's Movie Morlocks section awhile back:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2009/01/31/tha ... nes-movie/
charliechaplinfan

I love the Stones but have never seen Gimme Shelter, I've added it onto my rental list along with Woodstock.

I watched Le Million twice, the first time I was too tired to take it in, the second time I enjoyed it so much more.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

We might try to work Woodstock in soon.

After seeing Coal Miner's Daughter recently, Sis also was interested in viewing Nashville to see Altman's (rumored) take on Loretta Lynn. (Dear God, I can only imagine what she'll think of that film.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

srowley75 wrote:We might try to work Woodstock in soon.

After seeing Coal Miner's Daughter recently, Sis also was interested in viewing Nashville to see Altman's (rumored) take on Loretta Lynn. (Dear God, I can only imagine what she'll think of that film.)
Stephen, bear in mind that Nashville has so much going on (lots of overlapping dialogue and action, in the Altman style), a newcomer really needs to watch it more than once to take it all in. A great movie, with great performances (Henry Gibson and Keenan Wynn are the best, IMO).
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I've found most of Altman's films a test of endurance, Judith, simply because they have such a random, meandering quality about them. It's been ages since I've seen one completely through to the end - I stopped Gosford Park because I kept nodding off. The only one I've yet found to be intriguing was The Player from 1992. I never much cared for M*A*S*H either. I'd like to revisit Nashville at some point to see if I'd feel the same about it. I have a private rule - until I see a film in its original aspect ratio (or as close as humanly possible), I'm always willing to give it another chance. The only copy of Nashville I've been able to view was a panned and scanned videotape.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'll second Judith's praise for Nashville. It's an interesting take on American life that vacillates between inspiring and satirical.

I don't know what Altman you've seen, but I personally consider McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) one of the great (if not the greatest) revisionist westerns, while The Long Goodbye (1973) is an incredible Neo-Noir that has never gotten its due. Both films have beautiful cinematography and superb acting.

Incidentally, this photo from McCabe was recently in my avatar. Here's a larger view of the construction of the church at sunrise, one of my favorite shots in any movie:

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

srowley75 wrote:I've found most of Altman's films a test of endurance, Judith, simply because they have such a random, meandering quality about them. It's been ages since I've seen one completely through to the end - I stopped Gosford Park because I kept nodding off. The only one I've yet found to be intriguing was The Player from 1992. I never much cared for M*A*S*H either. I'd like to revisit Nashville at some point to see if I'd feel the same about it. I have a private rule - until I see a film in its original aspect ratio (or as close as humanly possible), I'm always willing to give it another chance. The only copy of Nashville I've been able to view was a panned and scanned videotape.
I wasn't able to get through The Player, and I've never cared much for M*A*S*H the movie, either. I caught only the very beginning of Gosford Park on TV a while back, and it didn't grab me. But I do think that Altman got the cinematic stream of consciousness style right in Nashville -- the story, the dialogue and the actors are all on point in this one, and the music's good too.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Owing to my less-than-stellar experiences with most of his films, I'll admit I haven't felt compelled to check out many more. I haven't yet seen McCabe and Mrs. Miller, though I purchased the DVD for almost nothing during an Amazon.com sale about the same time I lost my job. It's now shelved with countless other DVDs and DVD-Rs I have yet to view.

I wonder if Altman is one of those directors whose films must be seen in a theater to appreciate them fully. While I realize that every film benefits from the cinematic experience, I know there are some films that simply can't be viewed on a small screen.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Altman is hit or miss with me, but when he's on his game, his best works can stand alongside any of the great directors. I think McCabe and Mrs. Miller is listed in the 1001 Films book along with Nashville.

Here's Tarantino's thoughts on the movie, which initially seem to be similar to yours (He could not get past the overlapping dialogue at the beginning for years!):

[youtube][/youtube]

Personally, I find those kinds of things add to my enjoyment on repeat viewings, as I am slowly able to decipher all the background talk and bits of business and relate them to the more obvious surface material. The result often gives the film a new dimension, or viewpoint that enhances the movie each time I see it.
charliechaplinfan

I really struggled with McCabe and Mrs Miller, I remember it as bieng one of the only movies from the book that I was dissappointed with, I can't even remember why I didn't take to it just that it didn't gel with me.

I'm always prepared to try again, I saw lots of the films from the book when my kids were babies, I'd rent and watch, watching them often as I was trying to settle the baby down. It might not have gelled because I was just too tired at the moment. I'll look forward to hearing your opinion.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Altman is hit or miss (mostly miss) with me as well. The big hits: McCABE AND MRS. MILLER, THE LONG GOODBYE, and THIEVES LIKE US.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Most of what I've seen of Altman I've liked quite a lot and I think many of his films work best on repeated viewings. The framing and colors in Vincent and Theo are almost as 3-dimensional as Van Gogh's actual paintings. Loved the cynicism in The Player, and really liked the one-shot opening sequence. (And Lyle Lovett is hysterical.) It's hard for me to assess M*A*S*H fairly because I knew the TV series so well before seeing the feature, but, unlike the series, it was nice to have the funny lines without a laugh track. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is one of Beatty's best performances. Popeye, well, that was my first "official" date movie so I don't remember a thing about it. I loved the balancing act of the multiple story lines in Gosford Park. Nashville and Short Cuts may well be my favorites of his films that I've seen.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS