ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Post by CineMaven »

I was waxing on about a film recommended by Michigan J, that you enjoyed as well Miss G.: "MAN BAIT." It made me peruse YouTube for more clips of Diana Dors, who has a big role in that film. And to be sure I don't go off-topic, I found this episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock" show which prominently features Ms. Dors. (Aaaaah...two birds with one stone).

Enjoy. Well...enjoy as much as one can enjoy the macabre sense of humor of Sir Alfred. Here is.......

"THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE"

[youtube][/youtube]
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, T! I don't recognize the title so maybe this is one I haven't seen yet.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I hope you haven't. It won't be hard to figure out...but I so love Hitchcock. Better than any reality tv, any day. Enjoy!

Oh, and by the way...I love your new avatar. You're always classy.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks, T...love your, too, so cute!
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

If you want to see the restored version of Hitchcock's fourth film, the silent boxing drama The Ring (1927), there will be a live streaming at http://thespace.org/items/e0000ecg this Saturday, July 14, 2012. The catch for those living Stateside is the timing: it airs at 20:00 GMT on Friday, July 13th, that means it's actually airing at 6:00am EST/3:00am PT on Saturday over here.

I've only seen the un-restored version of this movie, which is based on Hitchcock's own original screenplay (his only one) and while I doubt I'll be awake to see it this time, I hope it will get released on DVD eventually.

-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Went to a big screen showing of "North By Northwest." Hitchcock still seems quite popular. For a Wednesday night there was a pretty good crowd. I figure between 80-100 people were there. They all laughed in the right spots. There were no groans or sighs of disbelief so it must have been a loyal group.

There were about 8 films in the series. I'm hoping it has proved popular enough that we'll get more next year.

On a related note someone told me that if you can guarantee a certain number of attendees can try and arrange a showing of a film for you. Hadn't heard about it to know. Any idea if it's true anywhere else?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

( Photo courtesy of MongoII's CANDIDS thread )

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh, cute doggie! I love German Shepherds. Too bad about the one on the right. :P
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ack!!! Meanie. :evil:

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

:twisted:
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

<< ( Spit Take!! )) >> :lol:

File those magazines your avatar is carrying. And listen, don't you have some typing or filing or faxing or dictation or coffee-making to do? I'm calling your boss. 8)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CineMaven wrote:<< ( Spit Take!! )) >> :lol:

File those magazines your avatar is carrying. And listen, don't you have some typing or filing or faxing or dictation or coffee-making to do? I'm calling your boss. 8)
HEEE! I'm living dangerously, that's for sure. If they're monitoring my internet surfing I'm on the "pink slip" list!
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I've just added this to my favorites list on YouTube. Check this out. It has been excellently and expertly done:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow, that was great, Maven!

One thing I did get from this mashup is the sense of movement that Hitch has. My god the camera is always moving, and when there are moments of stillness (Cary in the middle of the dirt road in NbyNW, Anthony Perkins in the padded cell in Psycho), it's only the calm before the storm. Perkins eyes just POP out at you when they do move to look straight at the audience. I am now wondering if the camera in Vertigo always moves to the right, in a never ending spiral? I suddenly realized watching this video that the camera moves continually to the right, around Kim Novak or Kim and Jimmy, or around Cary in NbyNW. In Vertigo, it gives the impression of peering around a corner, discovering something just outside the frame at every turn.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

MissGoddess wrote:Oh, cute doggie! I love German Shepherds. Too bad about the one on the right. :P
I've just watched Saboteur, am I missing something? Something my British sense has missed? It's a cute doggie but quite a cute man too :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin