Me-TV

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
RedRiver

Re: Me-TV

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! What a first episode. I refer to Dr. Kimble's first stop on his five year road trip. This is exceptional TV. Fast, efficient exposition. Heartfelt drama, not to mention fear. So suspenseful it would have made Hitchcock proud. I'm glad they've started the cycle over. Fans of this well written drama are in for a thrilling ride.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wasn't that first episode of The Fugitive a corker!? Brian Keith and Vera Miles were completely believable as the tormented couple with the monstrously jealous Keith chasing down poor Vera and son. Janssen really hit it out of the box in his characterization of the furtive Kimble, whose every eloquent wince and attempts to blend into the woodwork are doomed to failure. "Fear in the Desert City," which was almost entirely photographed at night, captured the lonely Kimble vibe as a rootless witness on the outskirts of the real world with a painfully sharper sense of the shape of things. This episode can be viewed on youtube here.
RedRiver wrote:According to ME TV's website, THE FUGITIVE starts over tonight, with Episode One. I wonder what this channel will do for Christmas. Last year, on the 24th, they ran a mini-marathon of THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW. Some, if not all of them, were seasonal episodes. When you live alone, as I do, entertainment of that nature adds a lot to a holiday!
I was looking forward to seeing these again too, Red. However, their schedule that day doesn't include Loretta's shows on Christmas, but Christmas-themed programs from their usual lineup, which you can see listed in detail here: http://metvnetwork.com/schedule/2013-12-25

The good news is that some of The Loretta Young Show episodes are available online at Me-TV here: http://metvnetwork.com/videos/#loretta-young
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I saw that first episode about four or five years ago, I really need to see it again. What a cast!

Interestingly, Vera was in the first episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", too.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Kimble, whose every eloquent wince and attempts to blend into the woodwork are doomed to failure.

At times, it's almost terrifying. Something always goes wrong!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This is pretty impressive. Me-TV will not only be airing some episodes of "The Doris Day Show" for the holidays, but they even got the reclusive lady herself to record a voice-over promo for them!

http://www.metvnetwork.com/monitor/doris-day-on-me-tv
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Maricatrin, who posts here occasionally, has a new and evocative video using images from The Fugitive and a haunting song sung by Tim O'Brien:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

:pve that video! Maricatrin really knows how to pick a perfect song, and how to use lingering shots to make the lyrics come forward.

Thanks for posting the youtube link to the premiere of The Fugitive, as I forgot again about Me-TV's Sunday lineup. Brian Keith? I'm there! I see Harry Townes was also in that first episode, I'll have to check it out. I just posted about him in the favorite character actors thread because he was on Alfred Hitchcock Presents last night.

Last night's third Fugitive episode was quite scary and suspenseful too - you know you're in trouble when Bruce Dern shows up as the deputy sheriff! :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Brilliant job, Maricatrin, you are so good at this (thanks for posting that, Moira). I confess I teared up a couple of times.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Bruce Dern is almost always trouble!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And in this case it was no different. He was a member of the law, but so corrupt, as was obvious from his entrance.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

anyone who'd shoot john wayne in the back is always trouble! :D
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll say! Most reviled supporting actor in the world! :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

He's in the new film, NEBRASKA. I wonder what that's like.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anyone who can go from the fun of "Support Your Local Sheriff" to "The Cowboys" in a few years was someone to watch. At the time of "The Cowboys" I thought he was the meanest SOB I could imagine in a movie. I had no idea at the time he could be a mean SOB with a sense of humor in 'Sheriff."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's funny, I always liked him. But I didn't see that John Wayne movie till about 4 years ago. :D Nebraska sounds like his best role since Silent Running, where he got the whole movie, along with three robots. :D