I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Regarding Blade Runner, of the original film, I only saw the original 1982 cut, not one of Ridley Scott's favored cuts. Incredbily stylish, very well acted, but still a few details felt aloof. Still a decent film.

I loved Blade Runner 2049 though.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I watched Tequila Sunrise in first run,I remember saying to my friend then the movie was all ' cosmetic' ,never bothered with it again...
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I saw it first run, as well, and couldn't even tell you what it was about now. I remember Russell's greased-back hair and that's about it, although I recall that it was a big, highly-anticipated release at the time.
Watching until the end.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:34 am Titicut Follies (1967) TCM 8/10
A documentary shot at a Massachusetts institution for the criminally insane.
Once seen, it is hard to forget the raw, explicit moments shown in this film
Anyone else see this, what do you think?
I'm glad it exists for documentation sake, but I can't watch it.
I think of things like this when people talk about how they miss "the good ole days" when people treated each other more decently.Yeah.
CinemaInternational wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:54 pmDave Grusin's score sounds like discarded saxophone cues from LA Law
CinemaInternational

LawrenceA wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:06 pm I saw it first run, as well, and couldn't even tell you what it was about now. I remember Russell's greased-back hair and that's about it, although I recall that it was a big, highly-anticipated release at the time.
It does kind of slide off the screen and your brain even as you watch it. I guess the best I can muster for it is the photography, Pfeiffer, a snippet of a Duran Duran song I wasn't familiar with before (I like their music a lot), and for getting Tiki to laugh over my deadpan about the musical score. it's certainly one of the weaker films of 1988.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: December 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm Did anyone else see Night Watch last night, the thriller with Elizabeth Taylor, Laurence Harvey, and Billie Whitelaw? As in most of her post-Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf films, Taylor is loud and annoying, though this is understandable in the context of the film. Harvey, as usual, is pretty good. I did not figure out the twist. Liz gets to wear some of her most becoming colors: lavender, purple, and a very nice ruby-red outfit toward the end of the film. I wouldn't call it a must-see, though I stayed up to keep watching and see how it would turn out.
I watched Night Watch. Taylor is loud and annoying but she looks good and overall I found the film interesting.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

I saw Thorold Dickinson's The Queen of Spades (1949) with Anton Walbrook, Edith Evans and Yvonne Mitchell last night at the BFI Southbank. Apparently this was once considered a lost film but is now enjoying a 4K restoration run in London. I really enjoyed it. The notes accompanying the film said that it was panned when it was initially released as it ran against the then current neo realist grain. Both Walbook and Evans "go for it" with their highly dramatic performances, with Evans looking a bit like Quenin Crisp as Elizabeth I. For me, Anthony Dawson and Athene Seyler were two stand outs in the cast. The film has plenty of room for great bit parts performed by solid British character actors.
Last edited by Feinberg on December 30th, 2022, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

kingrat wrote: December 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm Did anyone else see Night Watch last night, the thriller with Elizabeth Taylor, Laurence Harvey, and Billie Whitelaw? As in most of her post-Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf films, Taylor is loud and annoying . . .
Check out Liz in Identikit (AKA The Driver's Seat), now showing on Tubi.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LawrenceA wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:06 pm I saw it first run, as well, and couldn't even tell you what it was about now.
I say that about everything I see lately. Either movies no longer have a plot or I'm quickly becoming senile.
Although same could be said about a Joan Blondell pre-code...all you remember is you had fun watching her.

THANKS for the comments on NIGHT WATCH. I recorded it but haven't watched it yet. I really like Liz Taylor in all her stages. She was an original. Today's stars are bland, for the most part, few standouts.

I just watched Netflix's Guillermo del Toro's PINOCCHIO '22. Sad that has to be it's title, apparently Disney now owns the name Pinocchio :evil:

I wrote my impressions in the thread of that name- but in a nutshell it was very beautiful & artistic. The story has been changed which is more interesting to me than the same old same old & would have hated a Disney copy.
The characters left me somewhat cold, but it was worth seeing once. Others may really like it.

Just for perspective, my reaction was similar to Pan's Labyrinth, so my impression is del Toro's work is consistent.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Feinberg wrote: December 30th, 2022, 1:58 am I saw Thorold Dickinson's The Queen of Spades (1949) with Anton Walbrook, Edith Evans and Yvonne Mitchell last night at the BFI Southbank. Apparently this was once considered a lost film but is now enjoying a 4K restoration run in London. I really enjoyed it. The notes accompanying the film said that it was panned when it was initially released as it ran against the then current neo realist grain. Both Walbook and Evans "go for it" with their highly dramatic performances, with Evans looking a bit like Quenin Crisp as Elizabeth I. For me, Anthony Dawson and Athene Seyler were two stand outs in the cast. The film has plenty of room for great bit parts performed by solid British character actors.
Nice to hear this. I've been wanting to see this one for a while now.
Watching until the end.
CinemaInternational

Night Watch has been showing on a fairly regular basis of recent date, once every two months, or so it seems. I knew about the twist going in, but wasn't prepared for how hair-raising it would be when it actually played on screen. There are some pretty effective scenes of camerawork in the film, and while Liz has the showy part, Billie Whitelaw really is very fine in her supporting role.

The brief mention of Lesley Manville reminds me of a film she had a supporting role in years ago that was quite good. It was 1987's High Season, a sophisticated comedy of romantic confusion set in picturesque Greece and bearing more than a passing resemblance to A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was simply fun to watch with Jacqueline Bisset in one of her best roles, Kenneth Branagh at the start of his career, and Irene Papas having great fun in a comic role. It was zesty and delightful.

As for forgetting about films seen, I get that sometimes. I use a website to keep track of what I have seen, but I have absolutely no memory of a few titles, one of which was a 1955 film called Portrait of Allison. If I hadn't logged it a few years ago, I wouldn't have known I had seen it.

Thanks for the comment about the new Pinocchio. I have heard quite a few good things about it, so, whenever I do my one month run of Netflix again, I will give it a try, along with the Knives Out sequel which , via a 5 second cameo, has the final onscreen appearance of the great Angela Lansbury. Guillermo Del Toro did a fine remake last year of the noir Nightmare Alley that was very atmospheric and had wonderful period detail. But the curious thing was that in spite of some graphic violence, the film rarely felt as shocking and perverse as the more restrained 1947 original. It was still a good film though.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: December 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm Did anyone else see Night Watch last night, the thriller with Elizabeth Taylor, Laurence Harvey, and Billie Whitelaw? As in most of her post-Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf films, Taylor is loud and annoying, though this is understandable in the context of the film.
I've been meaning to watch NIGHT WATCH for awhile now. Thanks for putting it back on my radar.

I admit that I enjoy Elizabeth Taylor when she's being loud and annoying. It's one of the reasons why I enjoy BOOM! so much.