I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Didn't Connie pop up for about five minutes in HOME FROM THE HILL, trying to pick up George Hamilton in a bar?
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: October 12th, 2023, 1:27 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 12th, 2023, 1:21 pm Didn't Connie pop up for about five minutes in HOME FROM THE HILL, trying to pick up George Hamilton in a bar?
In ALL FALL DOWN she tries to pick up Warren Beatty, and does, while Brandon deWilde looks on goggle-eyed.
Yea, that is a classic Connie Ford type character. Note that Ford does have a similar scene is Home from the Hills as pointed out by Bronxgirl.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

BAD FOR EACH OTHER (1953) Should be called BAD FOR EVERYONE.

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Allhallowsday wrote: October 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm BAD FOR EACH OTHER (1953) Should be called BAD FOR EVERYONE.

I see that the poster says "Life in his Hands": Well I wish there was life in this movie!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 12th, 2023, 2:30 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: October 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm BAD FOR EACH OTHER (1953) Should be called BAD FOR EVERYONE.

I see that the poster says "Life in his Hands": Well I wish there was life in this movie!
It sure is CONSTIPATED. BAD FOR EVERYONE
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Sleepy Hollow is not upstate.

(Real upstate NY only begins when you get to the 518 area code, although some might argue it begins at I-84.)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Attack of the 50 Foot CamGirl (2022)

A narcissist flounces her gazongas on camera for paying subscribers. Her impatience and greed leads her to eat some untested faux meat which she hopes to market to her followers. Hilarity ensues.

There are actually a few moments of tepid brilliance in this movie. It is a shame that a person can see them only if they watch an hour of bland and predictable dialogue, a complete lack of acting talent, cinematography devoid of any detectable trace of atmosphere and a complete absence of humour.

The positive points are that it contains a nearly-plausible explanation for her growth, it contains a nearly-plausible reason for her clothes to grow with her and it has a happy ending. I found the miniature sets surprising. They range from cut-out colored cardboard glued together to detailed houses which any model railroader would be proud to have in their setup.

An edited version is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV and an unedited version is available for viewing for free on: Filmrise.

3.8/14 in a good way

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) TCM-7/10

In 17th century France, a witty swordsman (Jose Ferrer) with a huge nose helps a inarticulate friend woo a beautiful woman.

First time viewing for me. It is worth seeing for Ferrer, who give a bravura, Oscar winning performance in the lead. The supporting players are not in his league and he blows them off the screen. It was based on a play and looks a bit stagey.
I was familiar with the story and thought it was more of a romantic comedy but it has elements of drama and tragedy as well. The sword fighting scenes are also well done.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Is Secret Beyond the Door on at midnight tonight? It's on my cable schedule, but I notice there's a gaping hole for midnight on the monthly/daily TCM schedule! Does anyone know?????

This was the last collaboration between Fritz Lang and Walter Wanger/Joan Bennett. I've never seen this one for some reason and would really like to. Hope I don't end up disappointed (not being shown). It's rarely ever shown on TCM.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw Constance in yet another episode of Perry Mason a few nights ago. The one with Billy Mumy finding
and hiding the murder gun. Constance is his aunt or some relative. Before I really knew who she was, I remember
her in Another World, which my mother watched. Her character always seemed to be inviting people into
her kitchen for a cup of coffee, where she would solve all their personal problems. Life was easier in those days.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Fedya, I always thought Sleepy Hollow was part of upstate New York, the Adirondack region.

I didn't intend falling asleep in the middle of BAD FOR EACH OTHER but did. Judging from the comments here, this was a good thing. I did think Liz looked marvelous in those chic outfits.

Ah, Jose Ferrer in CYRANO! I find him very sexy in this role, even with the nose, lol. Go figure! I was hoping THE SHRIKE would be included but no such luck. Adore Jose in MOULIN ROUGE -- another outstanding performance.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: October 12th, 2023, 1:27 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 12th, 2023, 1:21 pm Didn't Connie pop up for about five minutes in HOME FROM THE HILL, trying to pick up George Hamilton in a bar?
In ALL FALL DOWN she tries to pick up Warren Beatty, and does, while Brandon deWilde looks on goggle-eyed.
Yeah, I remember Connie there -- Beri-Beri is of course very eager to take her up on the offer.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 13th, 2023, 9:28 am Image

Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) TCM-7/10

In 17th century France, a witty swordsman (Jose Ferrer) with a huge nose helps a inarticulate friend woo a beautiful woman.

First time viewing for me. It is worth seeing for Ferrer, who give a bravura, Oscar winning performance in the lead. The supporting players are not in his league and he blows them off the screen. It was based on a play and looks a bit stagey.
I was familiar with the story and thought it was more of a romantic comedy but it has elements of drama and tragedy as well. The sword fighting scenes are also well done.

And I always find it amusing that the actor who plays Roxanne's sweetheart coincidentally looks like another Ferrer -- Mel.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 13th, 2023, 5:24 pm ...And I always find it amusing that the actor who plays Roxanne's sweetheart coincidentally looks like another Ferrer -- Mel.
It's WILLIAM PRINCE who is soldier and friend of ERROL FLYNN in OBJECTIVE BURMA! ERROL winces at the injuries inflicted by the enemy as soldier lay dying, begging ERROL to kill him.

A small but important role, WILLIAM PRINCE also played George Ruddy in NETWORK (1976).