Errol Flynn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Western Guy

Re: Errol Flynn

Post by Western Guy »

You're more than welcome. Blessings to you and yours, Fernando.

Wow Alison, I don't know of anyone who didn't enjoy Cagney. I know some who weren't particularly fond of Bogart but Cagney, in my experience, always generated a feeling of warmth among his fans. In fact, a pal of mine . . . his sister named her daughter Cagney because she was so fond of Jimmy.

Well, as the song goes: You can't please everyone. Or: To each his/her own. I'm sure your mom had her reasons for disliking Jimmy.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Dean was emaciated enough to looked hardly better than a concentration camp survivor

I used to be so thin people teased me about it. All the standard "You could walk between rain drops" jokes. I had a hearty appetite. I was in perfect health. I was just scrawny. Sadly, that's no longer the case. I've gained thirty pounds in the last decade. What was once a spare tire has become a full set of Michelins!

How could I regret seeing Dean Martin in Vegas?

There's never been a singer whose sound appealed to me quite like this man. Not Sinatra, Not Ella nor the great Jim Reeves. Nobody poured a smooth shot of music like Dean Martin.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Thanks for the chuckle, RedRiver. Good line!

Yes, but to remember the more robust Dino and see him walk - feebly - out onto the stage at The Sands really almost looking like an ambulatory skeleton was very sad. His voice no longer held the magic; his speaking voice, in fact, was so weak as to be inaudible when he told his jokes. Honestly, you just didn't know what he was doing there. But one thing I remember: The audience loved him. Despite all else, that man Martin possessed a magic that people embraced.

There's only one singer I prefer to Dean - just barely, and that's Al Martino. Had coffee with him at the SunCoast when I was in Vegas, and a nicer, friendlier man you could not hope to meet. Gave me tickets to his show, which I attended with both Philip and Dolores. A night to remember; only wish my wife had been in Vegas at the time. Could not attend an Al Martino show without a date, so (confession) had a gal pal fly in from Glendora. Strictly platonic, y'understand.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's funny you should mention Al Martino, I've just been listening to a couple of songs of his and although dated, he has a beautiful voice. I think Dean still has it for me in terms of his voice but Martino's is very nice. In my younger years I collected Frank Sinatra, then I discovered Dean, Sinatra is the better known and more successful recording artist (although I can't see what all those girls screamed about) but Dean's voice has the edge. Did Frank care more about his recorded work? Was Dean just playing at singing like he seemed to take life in a every days a holiday kind of way. Frank undoubtedly controlled the whole package and had the better arrangements. I would have loved to have seen the Rat pack, allt he stars that visit Las Vegas these days pale in comparison.

Yes Mum hates James Cagney and there is no reason for it, she's never said why apart from the fact that he shouts. She also doesn't like Errol Flynn, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Humphrey Bogart and Cary Grant. She loves Bette Davis. If she was solely to watch a film for the looks of the leading man it would be Charles Bronson or Jack Palance. Preferring all the stars she doesn't like, I really am nothing like my mother. Her saving grace is she loves Laurel and Hardy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You know Alison, I suppose Jimmy's rapid vocal delivery and kinetic movements could make one uneasy. Maybe even a bit nervous. To me, though, that's his charm. When one thinks about most of his early 30s work, the films would have been pretty darn dull if not for him. Post-"The Public Enemy", much of his stuff was pretty forgettable - and even Jim himself admitted this. Outside of "G-Men" and arguably "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Jimmy's best work at Warners did not occur until he returned to the studio following his brief time at Grand National in 1938. Then came the true Cagney classics.

Interesting that on appearances your mum would choose Bronson and Palance. I say this because both are of Ukrainian heritage, as am I. As was my pal Mike Mazurki and the late John Hodiak. All, except possibly for Hodiak, were known for their tough guy roles. As I said in an earlier post, Mike Mazurki was a pussycat. An educated and highly intelligent gentleman. I was privileged to have known him. Our shared ethnic heritage didn't hurt. Slavs have a tendency to stick together, even though Mike jokingly commented that there had to be more German (my mom's side) than Ukrainian in me since outside of cabbage rolls I despise Ukrainian food.

I've been to Vegas a number of times. If God is good and my next series of books do well, I plan to move there permanently. Just love that city! But some years back my first wife and I went there on a Christmas vacation. I kid you not. The key headliner was Gallagher!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

mmm. John Hodiak. :D
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Always enjoyed Mike Mazurki, and just watched him in Dick Tracy this morning. He always seems approachable in most all of his roles, and found it intersting that he was also in the 1990 version.

Also enjoyed his performance as "Moose Malloy" in Murder, My Sweet, and in Blood Alley and Donovan's Reef with John Wayne, as well as his many television appearances like The Untouchables, Gilligan's Island, Bonanza, It's About Time and Have Gun Will Travel.

He does seem like a big, cuddly, teddy bear of a guy.

My son is also 6'5", and I know he must have had all those suits he wore in the gangster films specially made! I'll bet you must have had at least a few steak dinners together. I'd love to hear more about Mike Mazurki...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Watched Dick Tracy myself this morning on TCM, Sue, and watching Mike did bring back memories of our meeting. Of your Mazurki film list you forget to mention Some Like It Hot.

I became acquainted with Mike when he came to Winnipeg as the guest of the Ukrainian Professional Businessman's Club, an organization to which my dad belonged. My wonderful dad, bless him, brought me to all of these annual dinners and besides Mike Mazurki, I also met Werner von Braun, whom my dad, who served in the air force during WW2, was thrilled to meet, but me as a lad of 13 had no idea who von Braun was. In truth, really had no idea who Mike Mazurki was either, though I certainly knew who the following year's guest, Jack Palance, was, who unfortunately never made it to the dinner due to a previous commitment.

Hope this makes sense.

Skip ahead several years and I was in California en route to Juarez, Mexico with some buddies, dropping in on Lloyd Nolan, on whom I much later wrote an interview published in Filmfax, and with whom I had corresponded for some time previously. Having become much more entertainment savvy by that point I also arranged meetings with Mike and Jack LaRue - couldn't, much to my regret, connect with the one guy I really wanted to meet: George Raft (though Lew Yablonski told me it really would not have been difficult).

Met with Jack at his apartment, where he was living with his sister. Met with a most obliging Mike at some coffee shop in L.A. where we had lunch. He remembered coming to Winnipeg for the UPBC dinner and really seemed appreciative that he'd made enough of an an impression on me that I'd seek him out on this trip - though my aversion to Ukrainian food puzzled him. He was intelligent, soft-spoken and modest and today I can't help thinking how approachable these great actors were. So much more, but that would take almost a whole book.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

mmm. Jack LaRue. :D
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Very nice guy, Jack. Suffered from poor eyesight and hearing at the time of our meeting but very happy to speak about his career. Still doubt his version of the "Scarface" LaRue-to-George Raft tradeoff, though.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Was that the story of his height being why they chose Raft instead?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

No, the story that Jack told was that Howard Hawks felt he commanded too much authority to be accepted as Paul Muni's henchman. Howard let Jack go, but asked him if he knew of an actor who could replace him. Jack suggested his old Broadway pal and shared Mae West paramour George Raft.

As I mention in my Raft bio, I really liked J.LaRue but just have a hard time accepting this story. Though it IS true that Raft's latter refusal of Popeye/Trigger did provide Jack with hisbest role in "The Story of Temple Drake".
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks, Stone! I did forget to mention how much I like Mike Mazurski in Some Like It Hot. He always had some of the more comedic lines.

Did George Raft enjoy working with a young Ava Gardner in Whistle Stop? I haven't read your George Raft biography, so I hope you don't mind my asking.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hi Sue:

Not only did George enjoy working with Ava, he was instrumental in helping her land the part. Ava was very fond of George, too, but when she suspected George wanted to pursue a romance with her, she backed him off by saying she'd been watching him in films since she was a little girl and admitted that she looked at him as more of a father figure. George, ever the gentleman, may have had his ego punctured a bit but he respected Ava's decision and the two enjoyed a smooth working relationship. Too bad Whistle Stop was not a better showcase for the two.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Ava Gardner was gorgeous, I think Whistle Stop must have be a film just to be watched for the stars. She was a lot younger than him but any red blooded man is going to be interested in her, much is made of Elizabeth Taylor being the most beautiful brunette but for me it's Ava.

Yes, Mum likes Jack Palance and Charles Bronson although she wouldn't know the shared heritage. She wouldn't know Mike Mazurki although she has watched for the first time Some Like It Hot at 73, how do you manage to miss it for so long? Thinks it's the funniest film she's ever seen and she generally dislikes Tony Curtis (he acts better as a woman in her opinion) doesn't like MM but thinks Jack Lemmon is adorable (who doesn't). I've come across someone who has met Charles Bronson and they say he was a really funny guy, quite a comedian.

I love Jimmy's quick delivery, one film from the early thirites with Jimmy that I love is Footlight Parade. I've always wondered why Jack Warner didn't capitalise more on Jimmy's hoofing talents.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin