Noir Films

JackFavell

Re: Noir Films

Post by JackFavell »

Burt BURT! FOURTEEN YEARS!

It's hard to imagine Burt being old enough at this point to have been anywhere for fourteen years.

Thank goodness the nickname Dink has gone out of fashion. My Joe Calleia got labeled with that in Public Hero No. 1.... I can't think of a person more ill suited for the name.

You know, Lizabeth Scott may not be the best actress in the world, but she does mangled better than anyone.

Wendell really does look ten years older than Burt. I don't know if that's good acting or bad genes.

I am putting a plug in for Marc Lawrence. he's really caught my eye the last few movies - in Oxbow, he's the only one of the men to show genuine remorse, and here, he really made the difference for me between an OK movie and a good one. He tipped the scales in that "corporation" scene. That scene felt sooooo modern didn't it? Frighteningly so.

I LOVED Criss Cross, by the way. I just watched it for the first time Sunday night. I couldn't stop - stayed up till 3 in the morning to find out what happened. I think you are right Red, it does slow down in the second half, but what a ride! I love Burt in this one, almost as much as in Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (I just like saying that title). What woman in her right mind would doublecross Burt Lancaster to be with Dan Duryea (though he has his charms)? But it's so great for us watching Burt get his teeth kicked in by a dame. I love Burt all masochistic.

P.S. Don't you hate it when everyone can see that you're going down to the corner bar to see your ex, but you insist that it's just to have a look around? Even I was annoyed at the family for seeing the truth written all over Burt's face. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

CineMaven wrote:Red...I know that LuLu told Sir, that girls go from "crayons to perfume" but what makes a woman go from Burt Lancaster to Herman Munster?
"It isn't easy, but I'll try!"

Don Murray was the go-to all American for a few years there. BUS STOP, THE BACHELOR PARTY, ADVISE AND CONSENT, even a ridiculous remake of THE PLAINSMAN! Had he looked like Walter Matthau, who knows what roles he might have been granted. But he played Guy Next Door admirably. His presence served the story well.

So, Michael Anderson...We all remember Michael Anderson, Jr. Might the director have been his father?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:So, Michael Anderson...We all remember Michael Anderson, Jr. Might the director have been his father?
Yes, and they worked together on Logan's Run and The Martian Chronicles. The last I heard, Michael Anderson, Jr. was writing his memoirs. I hope he publishes it soon! He was very appealing in The Sundowners, and he certainly worked with some of the best over the years.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]RedRiver[/u] wrote: Don Murray was the go-to all American for a few years there. BUS STOP, THE BACHELOR PARTY, ADVISE AND CONSENT, even a ridiculous remake of THE PLAINSMAN! Had he looked like Walter Matthau, who knows what roles he might have been granted. But he played Guy Next Door admirably. His presence served the story well.
I enjoyed him in “KNOTS LANDING” and loved his boyish looks; glad he didn't have the Matthau look.
[u]moirafinnie[/u] wrote:...The last I heard, Michael Anderson, Jr. was writing his memoirs. I hope he publishes it soon! He was very appealing in The Sundowners, and he certainly worked with some of the best over the years.
First time I fell for Michael Anderson Jr. was in his tv show, "THE MONROES."

MICHAEL ANDERSON Jr.

I remember feeling Deborah Kerr was so harsh in "THE SUNDOWNERS" when she told Anderson that if she had to choose between him and husband Mitchum (Anderson's father in the film), she'd choose his father every time. I thought she was a mean mother and I felt bad b'cuz I thought he was such a cutie pie. But what did I know. I was only eight.

[u]kingrat[/u] wrote:NIAGARA is an odd film, isn't it? Now that I've seen it twice, it finally struck me that there's no real reason for the wife to want to kill her husband. It's not like he has a double indemnity policy. Marilyn gets the big star buildup, red dress, wiggle, and all. We're encouraged to believe that she's actually naked when she's under the towel or under the covers, and she certainly plays it that way. Yet the big scene at the falls occurs after she's no longer in the picture. Jean Peters gets deglamorized; after I saw the film a number of years ago, I wrongly remembered the part as being played by Jeanne Crain.

I like "NIAGARA." Marilyn might not have had a double indemnity policy out on her crazy ol' coot of a husband, Joseph Cotten, but he was just too wacky. And besides, did you see that handsome hunk she was two-timing Cotten with? Oh yeah, that's enough to kill for. I thought her great scene was her reaction in the morgue. Whoa! I also remember feeling a little shocked that maybe Marilyn was in the altogether in that scene back in 1953. I thought they were s'posed to be so prudish back in the 50's. AND they certainly did deglamorize Jean Peters, didn't they? I totally believed her housewife persona. Even believed her with that vanilla husband of hers. But listen, ‘less anyone not remember... she was no slouch in the looks department. The eyes have it, every time. See here:

JEAN PETERS
A deliciously wicked and knowing look.

I was at TCM's recent film festival when they screened "NIAGARA." On the big screen...wow...the color is luscious!!! It’s funny that you remembered wrong about Peters and Crain. They played sisters in “VICKI” the tepid re-make of “I WAKE UP SCREAMING.” “...SCREAMING” had the two blonde bombshells of the day: GRABLE and LANDIS. Oh, and let’s not leave out beefcake VICTOR MATURE. Let’s not...that'd be a crime.

And if any of you need a Marilyn reminder...

[youtube][/youtube]

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote: Burt BURT! FOURTEEN YEARS! It's hard to imagine Burt being old enough at this point to have been anywhere for fourteen years.
You’re right. You know why you're right? Because back then, young men looked like MEN. Today young men look like boys. Wasn’t there a discussion once about boyish looking men we didn’t care for?
You know, Lizabeth Scott may not be the best actress in the world, but she does mangled better than anyone.
HA! That she does. I must confess, I prefer her as the Victim, rather than the Beeyotch. ( So un-p.c. of me! )
Wendell really does look ten years older than Burt. I don't know if that's good acting or bad genes.
The tale of the tape:

Burt Lancaster - D.O.B.: 11 - 2 - 1913
Wendell Corey - D.O.B.: 3 -20 - 1914

Uhmmmm...the genes have it. And I don’t mean ooh la la Sasoon.
I LOVED Criss Cross, by the way. I just watched it for the first time Sunday night. I couldn't stop - stayed up till 3 in the morning to find out what happened. I think you are right Red, it does slow down in the second half, but what a ride! I love Burt in this one, almost as much as in Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (I just like saying that title). What woman in her right mind would doublecross Burt Lancaster to be with Dan Duryea (though he has his charms)? But it's so great for us watching Burt get his teeth kicked in by a dame. I love Burt all masochistic.
Hmmmmm...I think you struck a chord with me re: Burt’s masochism. He was so expressive with it too. Remember in “The Killers” his plaintive cry: “SHE’S GONE!!!” Whatever he felt...you felt. You stayed up until three, JackaaaAaaay? What a trooper!! Yeah buddy, that’s what I’m talkin' about!!! I don’t think DeCarlo was in her right mind. What might’ve made it more interesting instead of soooo black hat / white hat, were if we had a scene showing how Duryea was nuts about her. You know, he loves her but she doesn't love him. Yes, we’d have rooted for our buffed t-shirted hero, but we could be in conflict seeing her have to choose between the two men...and really just playing them both for suckers and going for the cash. ( Too complicated? Well, I’m trying my argument out here, gearing for a ramble with “The Grey One” ). I’m glad you liked the movie.
P.S. Don't you hate it when everyone can see that you're going down to the corner bar to see your ex, but you insist that it's just to have a look around? Even I was annoyed at the family for seeing the truth written all over Burt's face. :D
HAAAAAAA!!! Family has broken up more relationships telling the truth...than lies.

Oh...and I love that bloody title too. Its imagery gives me goosebumps. A title can help make or break a movie...and that’s a great title. Still love KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE" too.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There is something sick, obsessive and twisted inside Burt and I LOVE it when it comes out. This is what makes him so compelling later in SSOS. He's always going to get taken down, and maybe he wants someone to...
feaito

Post by feaito »

So I finally revisited (so many revisits lately...I love watching films many times) "Out of the Past" (1947), and I must admit that I remembered little of the plot, thus it was like watching the film for the first time -in a way. Theresa, I also noticed this time about the earrings!...

Well, indeed Jane Greer as Kathie is one of the most cold-blooded, deadliest femme fatales ever to appear on screen, a true praying mantis...her icy features, full lips, and cold eyes are incredible to behold...and her apparently fragile figure... what a wrapping! Her chemistry with laconic Bob Mitchum is grand. Mitchum and Douglas are superb in this film, and Douglas' role reminded me in some way of his character in TSLOMI.

This film has some many vignettes...the wonderful location filming, Dickie Moore's endearing character as Mitchum's kind of foster son; lovely Virginia Huston as Ann, a good natured, sweet, unsentimental, sensible woman, honestly in love with our hero Bob (did anyone mention her)...a very brave lady who does not care about small town's gossip. What a luminous character she is...I can't understand why this wonderful actress did not have a bigger career, she was very talented. She's just the antithesis of Kathie, but then some men are attracted to deadly ladies like Kathie as moths to the light...My friend loved the film, the dialogue, the location shooting, Jane Greer, Bob and Kirk....but we agreed on something, there hasn't been any deadlier femme fatale as evil, scheming, bitchy Regina Giddens in "The Little Foxes", the black widow per se!

With this same friend we recalled having watched "The Big Steal" last year, a later pairing of Greer and Mitchum, in which the Noir-Thriller elements of the film are counterbalanced by exceptionally witty dialogue and humorous exchanges between the two leads. Another film beautifully filmed on location -by Don Siegel-. The rapport between Mitchum and Greer is very apparent in this one.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm adding The Big Steal to my list....
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

feaito wrote:So I finally revisited (so many revisits lately...I love watching films many times) "Out of the Past" (1947), and I must admit that I remembered little of the plot, thus it was like watching the film for the first time -in a way. Theresa, I also noticed this time about the earrings!...
A-Ha Fer...the earrings. Isn't that wild not to have noticed that before. I'm glad you re-watched it. And as you say, it's almost like watching the movie for the first time. I like it that movies can be renewed over and over.

"Well, indeed Jane Greer as Kathie is one of the most cold-blooded, deadliest femme fatales ever to appear on screen, a true praying mantis...her icy features, full lips, and cold eyes are incredible to behold...and her apparently fragile figure... what a wrapping!" - Feaito

Your description of Jane Greer was great to roll around in my neurons. De-lec-ta-ble! There have been lethal ladies...and there have been lethal ladies. To be a successful lethal lady, one has to make the hero DESIRE her. And that she does.
This film has some many vignettes...the wonderful location filming, Dickie Moore's endearing character as Mitchum's kind of foster son; lovely Virginia Huston as Ann, a good natured, sweet, unsentimental, sensible woman, honestly in love with our hero Bob (did anyone mention her)...a very brave lady who does not care about small town's gossip. What a luminous character she is...I can't understand why this wonderful actress did not have a bigger career, she was very talented. She's just the antithesis of Kathie...
I've just been so taken by Jane Greer, and the showy role of Kathie Moffet, that I sort of over-look Virginia Huston. (Sorry Ginny). But you are so right with your description (and nicely written by the by) of her. She was so straight and true in her relating to Mitchum. But look at her face as Jeff tells his tale (in flashback) and the hurtful things he's got to tell her. As for Virginia Huston, Hollywood is littered with lovely actors and actresses who just weren't "enough" to make the grade to the "A" list.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Ann is the most honorable character in the story. It's a wonderfully written role, and Huston does play it well.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I agree with you about Ann, Red. I've shortchanged her for my past three million viewings. The next time I watch "OUT OF THE PAST" I'll really focus on Ann's scenes. I imagined she and Jeff would have had a nice life together. She had a nice way about her.

feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your further insight Theresa...I failed to mention this...Did you notice that Theresa Harris (the beautiful and talented black actress who played Chico, Stanwyck's pal in "Baby Face" (1933)) appears unbilled as Greer's maid who gives information about her whereabouts to Mitchum? Theresa Harris and Mildred Washington are two rather unknown black actresses from the early thirties who would have become big actresses in less prejudiced and racist times and who haved intrigued me and became favorites of mine... Mildred Washinton played Colbert's maid in "Torch Singer" (1933) and died while very young that same year. Both actresses were beautiful, talented and played unstereotyped characters during the Pre Code Era.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Going back to "Niagara" for a moment:-
This is the movie that clued me into films having people in them that I knew in real life. Before this, I prized only Roy Rogers as a 'movie star' (I was 11).... But, when I saw this in the theater in 1953, I suddenly recognized Richard Allan (the hunk Marilyn is kissing at the Falls); he was my grandmother's lover at the time and subsequently, I found out she got him that role and some others too... He didn't go far though and was gone from LA after 1955.
He was a very nice person and I've always thought well of him.

After this movie, I started seeing others on TV and in old movie on TV that I recognized.

I am not a good judge of acting or good or bad movies, but I think this is one of Marilyn Monroes best performances. That closeup in the hospital of her and that perfect creamy skin is just awe inspiring!! The camera loved her!!!!

Larry
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]feaito[/color][/u] wrote:Thanks for your further insight Theresa...I failed to mention this...Did you notice that Theresa Harris (the beautiful and talented black actress who played Chico, Stanwyck's pal in "Baby Face" (1933) appears unbilled as Greer's maid who gives information about her whereabouts to Mitchum?
Did I notice? I'll say I did. That's the scene I wait for. Mitchum enters this Black night club and is totally comfortable. The Maitre 'D says that Jeff "is a friend of mine." Jeff was not condescending and the Black folks weren't stereotyped with a crazy dialect. And more importantly, Mitchum's back is to the camera and Tourneur lets Theresa Harris have the whole scene. Here's another bit of trivia for you, Feaito...in "The Company She Keeps" Jane Greer is thrown into jail...and Theresa Harris has a scene as a fellow jailbird.

[u][color=#800000]Vecchiolarry[/color][/u] wrote:Hi, Going back to "Niagara" for a moment:-This is the movie that clued me into films having people in them that I knew in real life. Before this, I prized only Roy Rogers as a 'movie star' (I was 11).... But, when I saw this in the theater in 1953, I suddenly recognized Richard Allan (the hunk Marilyn is kissing at the Falls); he was my grandmother's lover at the time and subsequently, I found out she got him that role and some others too...He didn't go far though and was gone from LA after 1955.
Whoaaaaaa! Way to go, Grandma!!! I, for one, am impressed. Richard Allan was gorgeous and put his all into his kiss with Marilyn at the Maid of the Mist site. And you're right, Marilyn looked gorgeous in that closeup of her in the hospital bed.

feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for that piece of info Theresa! I'll look for that film ;)