Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by jdb1 »

ChiO wrote:Thank you, Judith, for the reminder. It was my first time seeing the three Morris Engel films and to say I was floored would be an understatement. Each, especially THE LITTLE FUGITIVE, was a revelation. It is fascinating, and unfortunately rare, to watch a director who treats children as young persons with dignity rather than as primitive innocents or little adults. Like Jacques Tourneur and Charles Burnett, he captured children as children and with respect. Fabulous movies.

I saw more Kubrick and Burnett, rather than Cassavetes, in these films and there were certainly roots in Italian Neo-Realism. What a joy. Thanks again, Judith (and TCM), for helping me wander into these.
I most definitely saw Neo-Realism, and Breathless, in Engel, especially in Little Fugitive. It hadn't really struck me quite as much before, because I've been so caught up in the setting, and in recognizing everything I knew as a child. You might say that Engel's works are the nicer, optimistic side of Neo-Realism. I liked Lovers and Lollipops more this time than the last time I saw it, which was some time ago, but I still can't warm to Viveca Lindfors (in the third Engel movie), and I think she's a lousy actress.

The children were remarkable, weren't they?
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Very enjoyable, and I wish I'd recorded it. I was really surprised by the fact that it would be something I'd want to watch again. A couple of times I forgot it wasn't a silent movie.

B
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I want to recommend forgotten flick All Of Me that TCM will broadcast April 24 at midnight eastern time.

If you like kooky angel/ghost sentimental type films like Here Comes Mr Jordon, most likely you'll enjoy this similar themed flick too.
This film simply would not have worked without such super talented actors/comedians. Both Lily Tomlin and Steve Martin are fantastic, if you can suspend your belief enough to swallow the idea Tomlin is controlling one half of Martin's body!

I bought this DVD in the used $5 bin solely based on Reiner's reputation and it's become one of my favorites, I was so glad to see it included on TCM's schedule.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Tomorrow, April 20, there is a lot of Harold Lloyd. Some shorts in the AM haven't been on in some time if ever.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm going to be recording SPORTING BLOOD (1931) tomorrow morning, having been alerted to it by a fellow member at TCM. It's an early appearance by Clark Gable, a movie I've never seen nor is the title familiar to me. Madge Evans is the leading lady and she has become a favorite with me, especially after seeing her paired with that other attractive man at MGM, Robert Montgomery and in a few other interesting early 30s films. The film's director, Charles Brabin, is also unfamiliar to me.

While I don't expect this movie to set the Thames on fire, my pusle races just watching Clark Gable cross a room so getting to see a super rare film when he was cutting his (new) teeth as a movie star is always a welcome treat. :D

Sporting Blood airs at 6:00 a.m. EST. as the first of a series of movies centered on the sport of Kings (so how apt is it that Gable gets off the starting shot?)

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have mixed feelings about Madge Evans, while I liked her in "Sporting Blood" (1931), which I found surprisingly good -I did not expect much of it- and in "Fast Life" (1932), I did not like her performances in "Son of India" (1931) and "Dinner at Eight" (1933).

I do have expectations about "Hallelujah I'm a Bum" (1933) which I have yet to see.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I agree Madge was not very inspiring in Dinner at Eight. See her at her best in Beauty for Sale or Fugitive Lovers, she's MUCH better in both. She reminds me a little of Norma Shearer, with her air of class.
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree April, Madge Evans was very classy and beautiful too, even more beautiful than Norma, although I can see the resemblance you point out with her. "The Fugitive Lovers" (1934) is a film that has always intrigued me, as "Lovers Courageous" (1932) -those early Bob Montgomery's hook me :wink:

In the case of "Son of India", besides Madge's sort of colorless performance, the racial aspects of the unfulfillment of Novarro's and Evan's romantic relationship also bothered me.

Talking about early 1930s actresses, Helen Chandler is another lesser known actress who in my case has been a discovery and a sort of an acquired taste -I did not warm to her at first, she annoyed me a little bit. She's wonderful in "Daybreak" (1931) opposite Ramón Novarro; she has an elfin, otherwordly quality. She's good too in "The Last Flight" (1931)and "The Worst Woman in Paris?"(1933).
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:I agree April, Madge Evans was very classy and beautiful too, even more beautiful than Norma, although I can see the resemblance you point out with her. "The Fugitive Lovers" (1934) is a film that has always intrigued me, as "Lovers Courageous" (1932) -those early Bob Montgomery's hook me :wink:

Early or late, Bobby M. has me permanently HOOKED.

In the case of "Son of India", besides Madge's sort of colorless performance, the racial aspects of the unfulfillment of Novarro's and Evan's romantic relationship also bothered me.

Sounds like one I'd enjoy, though I'm not big on Novarro. Valentino is the only one of those dark,
suave types I can appreciate so far. I probably haven't seen enough of his movies.

Talking about early 1930s actresses, Helen Chandler is another lesser known actress who in my case has been a discovery and a sort of an acquired taste -I did not warm to her at first, she annoyed me a little bit. She's wonderful in "Daybreak" (1931) opposite Ramón Novarro; she has an elfin, otherwordly quality. She's good too in "The Last Flight" (1931)and "The Worst Woman in Paris?"(1933).

That's a new name to me, as are all those film titles. Fugitive Lovers is the movie that made me see Madge's charm and beauty. She's a trifle less mannered than Norma and I feel she has more chemistry with Bobby. I can't believe Madge was around since the beginning of Hollywood, acting since she was 12.
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your feedback April. BTW, for instance, you have never seen "The Barbarian" (1933) with Novarro and beautiful Myrna Loy? That's a wonderful Pre-Code! You should see it.

Today I intend to enjoy a lot of films, since it's a National Holiday in my country and we are celebrating Labor Day. I know that in the US you celebrate it later in the year.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:Thanks for your feedback April. BTW, for instance, you have never seen "The Barbarian" (1933) with Novarro and beautiful Myrna Loy? That's a wonderful Pre-Code! You should see it.

Oh my goodness, Feo, I LOVE that movie! It's my favorite Myrna precode!!!! Novarro is very good in that one, although a wee bit "undefined" for my tastes. I want MORE from him, more charisma, more something, I don't know. Still, it's a terrific movie, one that possesses a subtle eroticism that makes it stand out. It reminds me of Son of the Sheik and Wild Orchids---you know, that going "native" sort of exoticism that was all the rage back then. I have posted several gorgeous still photos from The Barbarian at TCM.

Today I intend to enjoy a lot of films, since it's a National Holiday in my country and we are celebrating Labor Day. I know that in the US you celebrate it later in the year.

Oh, how lovely for you! I hope you enjoy yourself to the full! :D
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I caught Sporting Blood (1931) this morning and thought that Madge Evans' performance as the jaded cookie with an eye on Gable and the ponies was the best I'd ever seen her in this movie. I mainly watched it initially because it was such an early Clark Gable movie, but stuck around to see it when her character came along. (Btw, Did you know that Sporting Blood was directed by Charles Brabin, aka Mr. Theda Bara?)

It was one of the few times that she had a character with some spine to play. All I really know about Evans other than her movies is that she may have stopped acting in part because she married Sidney Kingsley (the playwright who wrote Men in White, Dead End and Detective Story) and may have moved to NYC as a result. She also had been a model and actress since infancy, and had been an early movie star in the teens as a child, so she was probably as sick of Hollywood as they were careless of her talent. She appeared in several Broadway plays between 1927 and 1943 as well later roles on live tv in the '50s.

I tried to watch Son of India awhile ago, but I guess I wasn't in the mood for the British Raj at the time and gave up after about the 3rd elephant rode by on screen. I have only seen Evans in Dinner at Eight in which her bland character was annoyingly self-absorbed and dense, David Copperfield, playing one of Dickens' sappier women and What Every Woman Knows, as the society dish after Brian Aherne, but she never really impressed me at all until I saw her as the social worker in Pennies From Heaven (1936). I'd love to see her again in Hallelujah, I'm a Bum (1933), which I think I saw as a kid on tv, but which is now mouldering away somewhere. She played a suicidal woman who encounters Al Jolson in Central Park in that movie, which my hazy memory tells me was really interesting.

In any case, here she is in Sporting Blood, looking as though she has spent too much time at the race track and not enough time in the high clover.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Mr Theda Bara, hmmm? No wonder I never heard of him as "Charles Brabin", ha!

I've never seen Hallelujah, I'm a Bum! but have heard lots about it (in regard to Jolsen,
not so much about Madge).

Can't wait to see Sporting Blood, maybe tonight I'll get some time.
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

Oh my goodness, Feo, I LOVE that movie! It's my favorite Myrna precode!!!! Novarro is very good in that one, although a wee bit "undefined" for my tastes. I want MORE from him, more charisma, more something, I don't know. Still, it's a terrific movie, one that possesses a subtle eroticism that makes it stand out. It reminds me of Son of the Sheik and Wild Orchids---you know, that going "native" sort of exoticism that was all the rage back then. I have posted several gorgeous still photos from The Barbarian at TCM.
That's a huge coincidence April and I'm enjoying myself completely! I've just watched "Murder at the Vanities" (1934). I'm on a Pre-Code binge just now! :wink:

Moira,

That's a wonderful sexy still of lovely Madge Evans. It's by Hurrell, isn't it?

I had forgotten about her being in "David Copperfield" and "What Every Woman Knows?", two very fine films. But you are right Moira, she stands out in "Pennies From Heaven" (1936).
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That's a wonderful sexy still of lovely Madge Evans. It's by Hurrell, isn't it?
I'm not sure if it is Hurrell, Fernando. It definitely has that "up all night" look that Madge had for part of the movie, Sporting Blood. Did you purchase Murder At the Vanities as part of that newly issued Pre-Code Hollywood Collection (The Cheat / Merrily We Go to Hell / Hot Saturday / Torch Singer / Murder at the Vanities / Search for Beauty)? Will you please post about any other pre-codes you've seen from this collection?
Thanks,
Moira

P.S. Does anyone, anywhere name their child Madge anymore?? I'm sure it's probably a nickname for Margaret, but boy, there really are no Madges or Ethels or even Glendas anymore.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks