What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
RedRiver

Re: What are you reading?

Post by RedRiver »

I really like THE GOOD EARTH as a movie. Somehow, it doesn't come up in conversation a lot. I don't even bring it up. But it's a fascinating and highly dramatic movie. The chaotic scenes, i.e. locusts and revolution, are intense. Extremely well done.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It is free, I'm re-reading it now. VF is quite a bitter book in the end, but so entertaining along the way. I imagine it would be hard to understand the ironic tone at a young age. There is a coldness that sets in after the midway point in the book, but I still find it an incredible journey with such wit, and its view of human nature is still valid today.

I should have included Jane Eyre, especially, oh what a great book! and P &P as well. Maybe we should turn it into a list of five. Then again, I could add Mark Twain's Huck Finn, I consider it the greatest American novel, if not the world's.

I've never read Madame Bovary, it's a big gap in my reading.

Pearl Buck is a really good writer, but I actually imagine her life was more interesting than her works, if that's possible. She's sort of forgotten now, but I remember my mother read everything by her and got signed copies of her last few books in the 70's.

Steinbeck has been one of my favorite authors, and ties with Fitzgerald for favorite early 20th century author.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The first couple of chapters weren't easy going but once I got through her childhood, an interesting life in an interesting place at an interesting time. Books and films set in China and Japan is one of my things, I've never read Pearl Buck, so I'll start with the most famous book. Oprah Winfrey included it in her readung club in 2004 and it was a sell out all over again. This biography only covers the first half of her life.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Well, I'm getting through The Good Earth so quickly, although I've seen the film twice there are things I have forgotten about the movie, it still feels fresh when reading it. I hadn't realised until reading about Pearl Buck just how much she knew and how much this book came from her actually experiences, although I knew she'd lived in China I hadn't realised how hands on and how close she was to the working and starving classes. I guess I'd assumed that as a foreigner abroad she'd been somewhat shielded but her family were unusual missionaries, abandoning their posts only when it was past the dangerous point, her father stopping behind on more than one occasion. So knowing this and then reading The Good Earth makes it a powerful narrative, these aren't people she'd made up and blown their life out of proportion, they were everyday people. Olan kills a new born baby girl when they are starving, I can't remember if this is in the film.

I hadn't known that MGM had gone to China to film but the footage was confiscated or ruined when they tried to get it out of China. Paul Muni and Luise Rainer are so wrong for Wang Lung and Olan, if it was made today, hopefully they'd try to get the right casting but being so wrong they did the miraculous and pulled off the two leading roles. Muni's mannerisms and way of playing Wang Lung is perfect and Luise playing Olan who is the heart of the book, she's astounding. But Olan is ugly and also she is big boned with big hands and feet, she is slow but she is loyal, hardworking and the saviour of them in so many ways. I'm glad I picked up the book and two thirds through it I can honestly say that MGM got most of it in.

I can see me reading more Pearl Buck in future. Has anyone else read any of her works, I was looking at The Pavillion of Women or her work about the last empress.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Charley Grapewin is not exactly believable as the grandfather. But it's entertaining. He's pretty much GRAPES OF WRATH all over. I kept expecting him to say, "I smell spare ribs! Why didn't I get any spare ribs?"

I just started a suspense novel that's spellbinding. It's called TRUST YOUR EYES. By a Canadian named Linwood Barclay. Psychological. Full of surprises. If it disappoints me in any way, it will probably be the length. 500 pages is pretty long for a thriller. We'll see.
charliechaplinfan

500 pages is a long book. With a kindle you can't tell unles you remember to look when you purchase the book.
charliechaplinfan

I finished The Good Earth, the film takes up the first 2 thirds of the book. I will read more Pearl Buck.

I started and have nearly finished Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, I'm so startled by it I started a thread. It came in a collection of 20 books all for under $2. The other authors and titles I know little about apart from the Mark Twain which I've read and The Turn of the Screw but I'm wondering if any of you guys and gals can recommend any of these authors Horatio Alger, Frank Norris, Theodore Dreiser (I've read Sister Carrie), Stephen Crane and William Dean Howells, here's a link for details any advice gladly welcome.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, one of the first 'grown up'books I read was Imperial Woman by Pearl S. Buck. The story stayed with me for so many years, I finally went to eBay and found a copy. It was a lot more detailed than I remembered, but it is still a good read.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
feaito

Post by feaito »

knitwit45 wrote:Alison, one of the first 'grown up'books I read was Imperial Woman by Pearl S. Buck. The story stayed with me for so many years, I finally went to eBay and found a copy. It was a lot more detailed than I remembered, but it is still a good read.
One of my all-time favorite novels. I always have thought it would make a wonderful basis for a film. Imagine Gong-Li playing Tsu-Hszi aka Cixi.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

And who would play Jung? It is a wonderful story, although I am sadly uninformed as to how accurate it is.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
feaito

Post by feaito »

Knitty, I read it many years ago, but I remember the chapters were named after the names that the character had during her life; when she was born, when she was made one of the emperor's concubines, one of his wives, etc. I recall the name "Yehonala". There are at least one or two bios on Cixi, but I'd guess that Buck's book, although an historical novel should be pretty accurate.

Who could play Jung? Mmmm...Could it be Chow-Yun Fat?
charliechaplinfan

I think you've just chosen my next book. Thank you both :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I think you've just chosen my next book. Thank you both :D
You are very welcome! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

But of course! He of the dark, brooding eyes would be perfect. I just pulled that book off my shelf, I think I am going to revisit Cixi soon.
Happy Valentine's day, 'Nando!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Knitty, Happy Valentine's Day to you too :D