Happy Thanksgiving

Chit-chat, current events
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

A Happy to Thanksgiving to all!

I know some of us have had some very tough challenges this year and I hope that everyone is able to celebrate and give thanks for the tender mercies that came our way this year.

I want to thank everyone who has joined our merry band here. When Moira and I first set up the Refugee Camp at yahoogroups, this is the kind of forum that we dreamed it would evolve into.

We have become quite a community this year and I thank all of you for making that happen.

Happy Thursday! May it be a day of fun, love and good blessings for all!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Happy Thanksgiving to all! One of the many things that I have to be thankful for this year is this little site, all of you, and our shared enthusiasm for old movies. I hope that your hearts and dinner plates are full of good cheer throughout the coming holiday season and new year.

How do you like that "evil" grin on Cagney's pan as he approaches Tom Turkey, eh?
klondike

Post by klondike »

CharlieT wrote:I'd just like to add my wishes for a joyful and safe holiday to all here. And for those of you who live where a celebration of Thanksgiving falls elsewhere on the calendar, may you have a happy Thursday. :D
Thanks, Charlie, that's a great point; our Canadian neighbors & co-members have already celebrated their Thanksgivings, and I believe for many Asian & Hispanic communities here in the Americas, the date falls differently, as well.
But however our compasses point, I wish everybody a Day of Family, and Love, and Being Joyously Grateful for Life's Great Bounty.

Judith-

My sincere condolences on the passing of Maggie; as a musher, breeder & canine enthusiast for over 35 years, I fear I now need to remove both shoes to count the beloved 4-leggeds that I've ushered into graves, and the Lands of Memory (yep, old eye sockets are gettin' warm & wet!), and I can offer you only these two small coins of wisdom:
1) Despite how often you endure this hurdle in a single lifetime, it never gets easier, or less wrenching.
2) Contrary to commonly-heard euphemizing & "rules of thumb", it's been my hard-won experience that it's never a good, or even workable, idea to re-fill that gap in your life until you feel you are absolutely ready - whether that means 8 months, or 5 years, or whenever . . . and should a well-meaning 2-legged try to "surprise" you with a puppy as a gift - tough though it might be, do the right thing and send them packing! All real kennels, and all community shelters & pounds, really DO have return policies: seldom a pleasant experience, but the alternatives are far worse, and tend to ruin lives!
OK, down off my soap-box:
Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Honor thy ancestors and be tolerant of the family drunks! :o
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I have been quite ill for the past 2 months, and reading the posts on this site have been the best medicine ever.

Judith, I lost 5 members of my extended family in 2004-2005, and the worst was losing my beloved Dobie. I finally felt ready to have that special love back in my life this past January, and share my home with a wonderful little guy named Murphy. I hope you and your family have a blessed day.

Jon, sometimes spending a special day by yourself makes you realize how important your loved ones are to you, and the times you get to spend with them are even better. (at least today you don't have to "share" the remote!)
Thank you so much for this site.

Nancy
klondike

Post by klondike »

Moira wrote:
How do you like that "evil" grin on Cagney's pan as he approaches Tom Turkey, eh?
quote]

Moira!
Thanks for that great old capture; wherever did you find it?!
Wherever it came from, I've stolen it now for my pic files; yep that's one Brooklyn-mischievous leer on Jimmy's puss, probably similar to the one he wore while composing that tattling stanza r.e. Bogie's traffic-light diversion! :twisted:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A HAPPY THANKSGIVING to one and all on the wonderful SSO site.
We are about to enjoy our bounty. AMEN
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thanks to everyone for their warm and comforting messages.

We had a very nice meal today, but there was definitely something (someone) missing.

Because my daughter will be finishing college soon and, with luck, will find a full-time job in the near future, having another dog will not be feasible for me for the next few years. I am generally out of the house myself for more than 12 hours a day. Maybe when I retire, which event is now a lot closer than it used to be . . . . . .

We still have our cat, Evil Monty (named for J. Montgomery Burns of The Simpsons), who we also like to call Nando, because he is like the spirited little boy of that name in It Started in Naples. He is the man of the house now, and I assure you he is perfectly suited for the job.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, we seem to be down to our last bowl of post-Holiday Turkey Soup in my house. Is anyone else still looking for imaginative ways to re-use those leftovers?
klondike wrote:Moira wrote:
quote]

Moira!
Thanks for that great old capture; wherever did you find it?!
Wherever it came from, I've stolen it now for my pic files; yep that's one Brooklyn-mischievous leer on Jimmy's puss, probably similar to the one he wore while composing that tattling stanza r.e. Bogie's traffic-light diversion! :twisted:
Klondike,
Sorry to be so lax in replying to your query. I actually came across the picture of Cagney eagerly about to carve up Tom Turkey during a Google Image search for the recent Ruth Donnelly article on the TCM blog. I thought it was highly amusing too. Here's another nice leer from their co-starring movie I was researching at the time:

For those who might wonder what "stanza" Klondike is referring to above, it relates to the teasing that the two Warner Brothers actors engaged in during their movies. On one memorable occasion, Bogart had mentioned that Cagney looked like a "mushroom" in the hat that he wore in one of their most unfortunate vehicles in the late '30s, The Oklahoma Kid (see below for accuracy of this jibe).

Cagney may have gotten his own back a bit when he spotted Mr. Bogart in his snazzy convertible at a stop light in Hollywood one day. Feeling creative, James wrote the poem below and sent it to his co-worker. No reply has been recorded by posterity, but one can imagine...

In this silly town of ours,
One sees odd primps and poses.
But movie stars in fancy cars--
Shouldn't pick their noses.

Mr. Cagney, looking decidedly like an aggressive fungus with legs in The Oklahoma Kid (1939), sharing a scene with a nonchalant Bogie and some bad 'uns.

Speaking of Cagney and Poultry...
I once came across a story that Frank McHugh liked to tell about his tender-hearted friend and city boy, Mr. Cagney. It seems that in his enthusiasm to learn as much about country living as possible, Jim took a liking to the idea of becoming a chicken farmer. He ordered some lovely hens and when he was advised to also invest in a healthy rooster to keep them happy and productive, he got to thinking that it just didn't seem fair that each hen didn't have her own special rooster to keep her company, but had to share him with the other gals in the coop. Long story short, Cagney purchased one rooster for every hen, assuming that happiness and fresh eggs might result for all.

Nature being what it is, Mr. C. returned to his chicken coop to find that all the males had decimated one another in their frenzy to be top rooster, so to speak. Live and learn: Even rich movie stars who mean well must abide by the laws of nature.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

moira, how could you!! You had to post the mushroom hat Cagney photo! I just can't buy him as an evil turkey-carving gangster, now...

Thanks for the chuckle!

I just read through all of the posts on this thread. I don't post as much as I read, so I may feel that I know most of you better than you know me. Between this wonderful site and the TCM boards (which I joined in late 2001), I have learned so much about classic films. It's been wonderful to connect with so many others who share that love. I really do consider so many of you here and at TCM to be friends, and for that, I am thankful. Here's to many more years of the oasis.

Judith, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dog. Our family dog had to be put down 10 years ago and I still miss her deeply. Our pets give so much and ask so little in return--only our love. Hang in there.

My own Thanksgiving story--my sister tripped and fell while running to catch the bus home from work the Monday before Thanksgiving. She put out both of her arms to break her fall and shattered BOTH of her elbows. She had surgery and is doing quite well, except that she can't feed, bathe, or dress herself! Both of her arms are in casts. It was a subdued Thanksgiving this year.

Sandy K