Were they the great loves of their lives

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks to you Mel, Moira and Nancy. I appreciate the good wishes.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

movieman1957 said:
Interesting question on this my 24th wedding anniversary.
Yours, too? Today is our 24th wedding anniversary.

What little wisdom I have has taught me that one can only have one love in one's life.

(Did you read that, Honey?)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
melwalton

anniversary

Post by melwalton »

CHiO
Happy anniversary. 24? You're just starting out, hope it's a long journey. .... mel
feaito

Post by feaito »

Happy anniversary Chris!

I'd mention Bob and Dolores Hope who were married for almost 70 years; I bet they were the loves of their lives, respectively.

Also James Stewart who was married for almost 50 years to his wife Gloria, seems to have had a very happy marriage.

It always has been said that William Powell's love of his life was Jean Harlow, but he was married for some 40 something years to actress Diana Lewis, and from what I've read he was deeply in love with her.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Chio:

Congratulations! I hope your 24 have been as wonderful as mine.

Feaito:

Thanks for the thought.

I didn't think about Hope and Stewart but those are two wonderful examples. I know some people have a hard time staying married which makes people like the McCreas, Hopes and Stewarts maybe even more so considering the scrutiny and stress they had.
Chris

klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:Interesting question on this my 24th wedding anniversary.

If you talk in terms of both members being famous I would think Joel McCrea and Frances Dee belong. If my math is right they were married 56 years or awfully close to it.

That's love.
Yup, sure is, Chris.
I'm reminded, by those numbers, of Hume Cronyn & Jessica Tandy; their track record must've up somewhere in that neighborhood, eh?
Congratulations, Chris, on pulling into sight of that quarter-century mark; this coming month, my own bride will have been warming my frosty toes for 31 years . . not too shabby I guess, but my folks tallied 46 years together, and only stopped there when Death stepped between them.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

klondike wrote: this coming month, my own bride will have been warming my frosty toes for 31 years . . not too shabby I guess, but my folks tallied 46 years together, and only stopped there when Death stepped between them.
Happy early anniversary to you. A long and happy time to you and the wish that we will be like your parents. A most lovely way to put it. My parents are at 51 years and going strong.
Chris

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

James Cagney was married to Willie for 64 years. I remembering reading his biography there didn't seem to be one whiff of scandal attached to him.

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward have been married now for 50 years. He divorced his first wife to be with her. Their love has endured.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:Interesting question on this my 24th wedding anniversary.

If you talk in terms of both members being famous I would think Joel McCrea and Frances Dee belong. If my math is right they were married 56 years or awfully close to it.

That's love.
Happy Anniversary Chris!!!!!!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Happy anniversary to you too ChiO!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Happy anniversary Movieman and ChiO :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

:D Happy belated anniversary, Movieman and ChiO! I hope it was great!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thank you CCF and Synnove. It was great.
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Tuesday was wonderful and, since it was during the week, we decided to continue it this weekend.

We're a regular John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands (with the ethnicities reversed), though MrsChiO would probably prefer a comparison with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles