Oh boy, I can hardly wait

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

was thinking if The Gunfighter had been made a decade later that James Garner might have been a good Johnny Ringo. he was brilliant in Duel At Diablo

musn't forget the actor Michael Biehn who played Ringo in Tombstone and Chris in the short lived tv series The Magnificent Seven
ken123

Post by ken123 »

MissGoddess wrote:Sorry, Kenny, but GoE is my Man O' War, but I'm used to being alone in the winner's circle. :P

OMG - lol ! :wink:

Stuart,
Sorry that I can't agree with about James Garner, Peck, who could also being very boring IMHO at times, was perfect in the role of the remorseful gunfighter. :wink:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

One of the extra's included on The Gunfighter's DVD is a featurette entile The Western Grows Up which actually is ( virtually ) all about The Gunfighter & the " fact " that is was " the first adult Western ". The wife of co - author William Bowers ( with Andre deToth ) relates that her husband was about to sell the film rights to John Wayne, until Twentieth Century - Fox came up with a better offer. Fox head of production Darryl F. Zanuck greatly disliked Gregory Peck attire & moustache and worried what this new look would have on Mr. Peck's female fans. Apparently it had no ill effects Alas The Gunfighter has no audio commentary, the only film of the three films included in Fox Western Classics that has a commentary is the film that I am least interested in Garden of Evil starring Gary Cooper, Susan Hayward, and Richard Widmark. The third western is Rawhide ( in no way related to the TV series ) starring Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward, being held prisoner by badman Hugh Marlowe and his gang George Tobias, Dean Jagger, and the especially evil Jack Elam, at a stagecoach relay station. :wink:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I love "The Gunfighter" and think that "High Noon" borrowed a lot from it.

Anyway, I have read in several places that Zanuck hated Peck's mustache in the film and believed that it cost about $1 million in lost ticket sales because women didn't want to see Peck with a mustache.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I heard or read somewhere a long time ago that in 1949 Peck played General Savage in 12 O'Clock High and felt he didn't look old enough to be playing a general so when he agreed to the Gunfighter, he grew the mustache because he was supposed to be at the end of his career and wanted to look more tired and aged.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************