Cyd Charisse has died

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Fernando, I am really jealous!!! I've always wanted to see Cyd in both The Kissing Bandit & Sombrero.... :P I hope one day I'll manage! 8)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Christine,

I re-watched "The Kissing Bandit" a couple of years ago, because I taped it off TCM in 2004-2005, while on visit in the States. I was eager to see it due to my childhood memories and it did not disappointed me, from an emotional point of view, in spite of its lackluster reviews. It's a beautiful Technicolor film, but the quality of the VHS I had was regular, so I never transferred it to DVD. Happily the film is now available on DVD at Amazon.com USA, at a very convenient price so I'd like to buy it sometime in the future. The dance sequence featuring Cyd is available in one of the "That's Entertainment" compilations though.

As for "Sombrero" I re-watched parts of it last year I think, when it was aired by TCM Latin. Sadly it has not been released on DVD.

Both films are far from being masterpieces, but they have a charm of their own, and are certainly worthwhile, especially "The Kissing Bandit".
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

No one here -- or any obituaries that I read -- has mentioned PARTY GIRL. Her performance provided me with a new approach in viewing her as more than beautiful dancing legs (though that's there, too) and in watching Nicholas Ray movies.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

You are absolutely right, Chio! Party Girl is also my favourite. :D
I actually had started a thread on that film a while back:
http://www.silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/ ... php?t=1962

I was only discussing lesser known Charisse pictures I wanted to revisit as I must have seen Party Girl about a dozen times on a big screen and at least 100 on DVD or VHS.... :wink:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The names Cyd Charisse and Nicholas Ray in the same sentence is
more than enough to snap me to attention...
PARTY GIRL
[youtube][/youtube]
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Having scene the scenes shot of Somethings Got To Give, it was sad the film was shelved, not only because of Marilyn Monroe, but also Cyd Charisse. Rightly thought of as one of the screens great lady dancers, in SGTG she showed real potential as an actress, giving a performance to more than rival IMO Gail Patrick in the original version My Favourite Wife.

I thought Cyd looked terrific in the 1990s when she co-hosted That's Entertainment Part 3
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm glad you're back Stuart :D

Party Girl
gave Cyd a chance to show what an actress she was, she was very good and it's a very good movie.

She was such a fabulous dancer, I think some producers forgot she was a good actress too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I finally saw the TCM tribute to Cyd Charisse tonight.
It was very well done and presented her at her spectacular best in some very great dance sequences.

Brava!!

Larry