Christmas, Thanksgiving and other festivals

Chit-chat, current events
silentscreen

Re: Christmas, Thanksgiving and other festivals

Post by silentscreen »

My Goodness! My brother in England, whom I only found last January, sent me a little Christmas gift. I went to the post office to pick it up today, Inside a great big box were fourteen individually wrapped gifts all done up in holiday paper! He has been such a blessing in my life and makes me feel so special! My only regret is that I didn't start searching for him sooner. This has been like an "Oprah" show-trust me! :D
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
klondike

Post by klondike »

silentscreen wrote:He has been such a blessing in my life and makes me feel so special! My only regret is that I didn't start searching for him sooner. This has been like an "Oprah" show-trust me! :D
That sounds like a very intriguing story . . why not compose a thread around it, right here in General Chat maybe?
I'd sure find it interesting, and bet a lot of others would, as well! :idea:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

klondike wrote:
silentscreen wrote:He has been such a blessing in my life and makes me feel so special! My only regret is that I didn't start searching for him sooner. This has been like an "Oprah" show-trust me! :D
That sounds like a very intriguing story . . why not compose a thread around it, right here in General Chat maybe?
I'd sure find it interesting, and bet a lot of others would, as well! :idea:
If I may be forgiven for quoting Sarah Pain here, "You Betcha!" I'll do it soon. It's a really miraculous story.:D
I've kept it on the quiet except with Alison. Without realizing it, she helped me find him. I wanted it to be between he and I for awhile. No telling how many children were born to servicemen on foreign soil during war, or how many little boys and girls would like to know where they came from. It could have turned out the other way, but it has a happy ending in this case, and maybe the holiday season is a good time for a heartwarming story.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

charliechaplinfan wrote:They like quantity rather than cost, when they get older, it will be much more difficult.
Ha... they do get a little less easy to impress every year.
charliechaplinfan wrote:The things I like best about Christmas are the traditions, I love carols, especially when the school children are involved.
I love to hear a children's music program like that. It is as much fun to watch (all the wiggling and squirming and waving to parents) as it is to listen to the music. :)

And I am a "traditional" Christmas carol-er. (I know, big surprise, ha) But I just find them to be one of the better traditions in our home. And the church where we attend has a LOVELY candelight Christmas caroling service on Christmas Eve and it is always a blessing to get to sing those old standard carols in that setting.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the "fun songs" sometimes too. A couple of the radio stations in our area go "All Christmas Music" from Thanksgiving through Christmas day, and they play a nice mix of the old standard "faith" carols, AND the fun "generic" holiday songs. And they also play plenty of the "silly" songs too. So it is good to have a little bit of ALL of that from time to time. But I have to confess, ha.. by the time I have heard Grandma got ran over by a reindeer OR I want a hippopotamus for Christmas for the gazillionth time, it starts to wear on me, ha. :roll: (Did I mention I am a "traditional" carol kind of gal?) ha.
charliechaplinfan wrote:Along with that I love the tree and the lights. We are in a new house this year so I'm planning where to put everything. The tree is going to look so lovely. Like you we try to wait until the second week of December
Oh, I bet you will have great fun putting that all together for the first time. I always look forward to finding JUST the right spot for a wreath or a figurine or an ornament. Ha... I drive my husband crazy (-er than usual, ha) moving stuff around back and forth from one place to another until I get it JUST the way I want. I bet it will be very special getting to start a whole new family tradition decorating your new home for the first time. ENJOY! :D

PS: Silentscreen
silentscreen wrote:maybe the holiday season is a good time for a heartwarming story.
These days I say, the more good news the better. I will look forward to reading your story. And best wishes to you and your brother. It sounds like quite an intriguing tale already! :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Brenda, it's a heartwarming story, I'm so pleased that my little help led you such a long way. It doesn't surprise me that he's sent you so much. From what you have told me, he's a lovely man.

Rohanka, you can't beat a good carol. Before Christmas Mass we have a carol service, nothing beats those hymns. Every year we leave the church to the carol 'Hark The Herald Angels Sing' We start the service with 'O, Come All Ye Faithful' . I wonder if our carols are the same, most of them are universal here crossing over the Catholic Church and the Church of England.

Boy, when that tree goes up, it doesn't get left alone. My son constantly rearranges it or gets the ornaments off to play with them, so when they go to bed I go and fix it up all over again. It drives hubby mad, he thinks it's only a tree. Little does he know...

Charlie the kitten is going to have a GREAT Christmas with that tree.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Kathy:

I found out we are having three services on Christmas Eve. I get to play, as a friend of mine put it, the big boy piano and accompany a cellist in some pre-service music. I told the director to be careful because if you put an amateur (me) with an accomplished musician (cellist) pandemonium might result. I have yet to discover what songs we are playing. Hopefully it will be within my talent range.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, you'll be fantastic! :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You're too kind. Too bad you won't be here to judge for yourself. But your support is much appreciated.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I wish I could hear your concert, Chris. For me, the very best part of the year-end holiday season has always been the music -- popular, classical and liturgical. Bring on that "Chipmunks at Christmas" album!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Chris, does anyone ever record these concerts? Is it possible that you could post a clip of it or that it might be filmed for the news or public access? Since you have written with such enthusiasm about your adventures in music over time, I'd love to hear some of it if it were ever possible.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Yes, please do, I'd love to hear/watch one of your concerts.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

movieman1957 wrote:Kathy:

I found out we are having three services on Christmas Eve. I get to play, as a friend of mine put it, the big boy piano and accompany a cellist in some pre-service music. I told the director to be careful because if you put an amateur (me) with an accomplished musician (cellist) pandemonium might result. I have yet to discover what songs we are playing. Hopefully it will be within my talent range.
NONSENSE.... I KNOW it will be a WONDERFUL program. (oh you, kid!) ha. I hope there is a way for you to record it and post it here. I second, (or is it third, fourth, or fifth?? ha) what everyone else has said. It would be a REAL treat to get a chance to listen in. (ENJOY yourself w/ that big boy piano, my brother!) :D

PS: Ms. CCFan
charliechaplinfan wrote:Charlie the kitten is going to have a GREAT Christmas with that tree.

HA... now THAT will start a whole NEW Christmas tradition. ha. I bet it will be a chore keeping him out of there.... good luck! :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We don't often record the songs because of copyright worries. I do have a few recordings (pedestrian production) of some songs I have written. (Those I have were written to sing in church.) One I wrote for the first Sunday we were in our new building and two others I wrote for people because they liked my song. I was very nervous in my own singing and it shows. I don't know if I can link or post the recordings from my computer. I know I have sent them as an attachment as an email. It's lovely of you all to ask.

I am not aware of any webcasts of the services but I'll check.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, please try to post something here. We all love and support you, and you'll never find a more enthusiastic audience!!!!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

I can't quite figure out if an attachment can be listed but I sent you an email. Take an aspirin first.
Chris