Orson Welles and The War Of The Worlds Radio Play

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: Orson Welles and The War Of The Worlds Radio Play

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think so too. Whenever I come to a thread or film of Welles's I always wonder why I haven't yet managed to tackle a book about him. I suppose I don't want to be dissappointed, I prefer to think of him in his glory days.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hardly ever read books about filmmakers. I generally hole up with a novel.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

CCF wrote:
I prefer to think of him in his glory days.
For some us that would extend to 1985 (his death) when he was still working -- or trying to work -- in and on film and inspiring others.

And two of his greatest films were shot and completed in the '70s. In some respects, CITIZEN KANE (1941) and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942) were the bane of his career because some think everything after that pales in comparison. Although they are (or, perhaps, in the case of the latter, could have been) masterpieces, TOUCH OF EVIL (1958), THE TRIAL (1962), CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (1968) and F FOR FAKE (1974) are just as fascinating. Just because he was a Boy Genius doesn't mean he wasn't an Older Genius as well.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You know what? I'm OK with AMBERSONS just as it is. The book is more complex. I suspect an unimpeded Welles film would have been too. But the finished product tells a good story; tells it efficiently. It's inriguing and satisfying; atmospheric and dramatic. Orson Welles' "other masterpiece" deserves some credit.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

That other one is a masterpiece...right up to the ending, which turns it all upside down. It's that ending, reshot without Welles, that keeps it from full "masterpiece" status for me.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I relate to your frustration. For a magnificent movie with a tagged on ending, just see my user name.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

ChiO wrote:
CCF wrote:
I prefer to think of him in his glory days.
For some us that would extend to 1985 (his death) when he was still working -- or trying to work -- in and on film and inspiring others.

And two of his greatest films were shot and completed in the '70s. In some respects, CITIZEN KANE (1941) and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942) were the bane of his career because some think everything after that pales in comparison. Although they are (or, perhaps, in the case of the latter, could have been) masterpieces, TOUCH OF EVIL (1958), THE TRIAL (1962), CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (1968) and F FOR FAKE (1974) are just as fascinating. Just because he was a Boy Genius doesn't mean he wasn't an Older Genius as well.
I'm glad, I've been reading too many books about others who take this line with Welles. I think too I want to really appreciate how great his work is. It's been a long while since I watched Citizen Kane, I can see it's innovative and he is larger than life, one of the screen most charismatic performers but I wouldn't list it as one of my favorites. I watched The Trial and it struck a wrong note with me, yet I love his Shakespeare films. I love Lady From Shanghai, so I've come to the conclusion that I love Welles the actor and don't always 'get' Welles the director.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin