Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Great points Anne. Here are some observations from an article I did:

We first meet Charles Chipping when he is 83 years old. He is late to the first school assembly of the new year as he has had a cold and been ordered to bed. In his tender handling of a new student (who is also late), we are struck by his candor, but he also commands respect as we soon see when the returning schoolboys greet him with genuine affection. It’s with surprise that when we jump back into his past via flashback, we discover a very different man who is easily intimidated and in fact, not respected by his class.

Disheartened when passed over for Headmaster despite his seniority, Chipping and a friend go on holiday where he discovers a beautiful woman on a mountain climb (Greer Garson in her first role) who sees all the goodness and ability that exist within him. It is she who gives him his nickname, “Chips” and brings him out of his shell. They marry and although she dies in childbirth, his life is forever altered by her presence.

Goodbye Mr. Chips is a remarkable lesson in our potentiality. Like Chips we all face fears and doubts in life, but it’s only in testing the waters or chancing the unknown that we actually begin to live life it was intended to be. As we tour Chips life we see him befriend his students as well as discipline them. He also learns to stand up for himself and not take guff from the headmaster when following his convictions about his boys and what they should learn.

Donat shifts so easily in this role from old to young, middle aged, and old again that he never appears to be acting. It’s so amazing to listen to the rhythm and texture of his voice as he ages before our eyes. As a younger man, he speaks faster and he is more hesitant in his body movement (a sign of his insecurity). When he gets older, he speaks slower (a sign he is more relaxed and at ease with himself) and has a grace of moment where at times he almost seems to be skipping or dancing. Above all, Gooodbye Mr. Chips, although sentimental--never loses it’s step and falls into sentimentality. Viewed from the outside, his life is filled with tragedy and disappointments, but his resounding spirit triumphs over all these things, even his own death.

If we should wonder how this man’s life which has touched and nurtured so many others found the secret of contentment, it is Chips that provides us with the answer: “I didn’t find it myself—it was given to me.” His pupils would say the same.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Mr Arkadin,

Thanks for a beautifully written response. Whether the article you wrote was in the distant past or rather recently penned doesn't matter. It was well conceived and well written. You not only know film to a degree I could only dream about achieving, you're very well spoken and convey your thoughts better than most. I don't think I have to fear contradiction in stating that. Thanks again.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thanks Hollis, it was a rush job actually. I write at a little website where people make custom signatures or tags. Most of these people are not as familar with classic films as SSO or TCM, so I really can't discuss too much without ruining it for some people. My work there at this point is just to try to motivate people to see some of these great films instead of SawIII. :roll: If you're interested in more of my ramblings I can PM the link to you. I just did one on The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) for tonight.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Mr Arkadin,

Yes, by all means, please do. I always enjoy reading good writing. I discovered John Grisham at Xmas last and have just finished the 19th of his 19 books. If you haven't read him, let me recommend two in particular. "A Painted House" which is a major departure from the vein he normally writes in (no intrigue or courtroom drama, just excellent writing) and "The Innocent Man" which is his 19th book and 1st to be non-fiction. It is quite good and scary in a sense. It's well worth the time it takes to read it.

As always,

Hollis