MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 6th, 2023, 11:58 am So nobody is going to watch THE GODDESS "live" with me tonight? I am crushed.
Past my bedtime! Sorry!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: December 6th, 2023, 7:44 pm MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT is one of those films that is "coded Jewish." No one is identified as Jewish, but the father is an immigrant from Eastern Europe who works in the garment industry in New York. Replacing Edward G. Robinson, who played the lead on Broadway, with Fredric March is a step away from the authentic Jewish background. However, Joan Copeland as March's daughter brings the accent and flavor that the story needs.
So, does this mean Joan speaks with a nasally voice in this thing?

(...HEY, don't blame ME for this question here...TIKI in that Cary Grant thread just told me today that EVERYBODY in New York City talks through their nose!!!)

LOL
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: December 6th, 2023, 8:41 pm TIKI in that Cary Grant thread just told me today that EVERYBODY in New York City talks through their nose!!!
Don't jump to conclusions....I was referring to regional accents which are quickly homogenizing.
NYC had it's own distinct "borough" accents, quickly disappearing save for some gangsta affectations.

New York State is the beginning of the "midwest rustbelt" nasal-ish accent: starting here, morphing & culminating to the upper peninsula "Fargo" accent, dontcha know?

(not related to New England regional accent, all it's own)
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I am from Queens and I never noticed my own accent very much since I never really heard the Queens accent in movies and TV, Brooklyn accents always seemed to be the norm for most NY screen characters.

George Carlin did a routine about the Irish immigrants who later became cops in NYC, mostly that "Ok da show's ova, move along" type of talk.

Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker in All In The Family gave us some of the Queens accent on TV.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: December 7th, 2023, 7:41 am
Dargo wrote: December 6th, 2023, 8:41 pm TIKI in that Cary Grant thread just told me today that EVERYBODY in New York City talks through their nose!!!
Don't jump to conclusions....I was referring to regional accents which are quickly homogenizing.
NYC had it's own distinct "borough" accents, quickly disappearing save for some gangsta affectations.

New York State is the beginning of the "midwest rustbelt" nasal-ish accent: starting here, morphing & culminating to the upper peninsula "Fargo" accent, dontcha know?

(not related to New England regional accent, all it's own)
Yes, and with the further north up the Atlantic coast one goes, the locals generally becoming even more non-rhotic speakers.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

further north up the Atlantic coast one goes, the locals generally becoming even more non-rhotic speakers.
Yup the R starts here. And it's a HARD R. While everyone else pronounces tire "tye-er" we say "ti-ARR" like a pirate.
"Flat tire" is one of the phrases I use to illustrate the rustbelt accent. We say "flat" funny too. Extra syllables. "Fla-ay-at"

I once made videos just speaking to illustrate my accent. It's really funny, you used to be able to pick out what City someone lived in by their regional accents. These days not so much.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: December 7th, 2023, 11:45 am
further north up the Atlantic coast one goes, the locals generally becoming even more non-rhotic speakers.
Yup the R starts here. And it's a HARD R. While everyone else pronounces tire "tye-er" we say "ti-ARR" like a pirate.
"Flat tire" is one of the phrases I use to illustrate the rustbelt accent. We say "flat" funny too. Extra syllables. "Fla-ay-at"

I once made videos just speaking to illustrate my accent. It's really funny, you used to be able to pick out what City someone lived in by their regional accents. These days not so much.
I can't stand British accents that DON'T pronounce the R! It seems fairly common. HEAH. THEHA. WTH? Pronounce your Rs!!!!
Last edited by Hibi on December 7th, 2023, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 6th, 2023, 11:58 am So nobody is going to watch THE GODDESS "live" with me tonight? I am crushed.
How'd it go, Bronxie?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2023, 11:58 am

I can't stand British accents that can't pronounce the R! It seems fairly common. HEAH. THEHA. WTH? Pronounce your Rs!!!!
British accents have become largely non-rhotic over the centuries. The southwest accents (Cornwall, Devon, etc) are still largely rhotic. But most of the population is now non-rhotic. You hear it a lot here because London accents are non-rhotic, and that's what you'll hear most often in the media.
The southern US used to have non-rhotic accents as well, but those have largely faded away.

I find it humorous that non-rhotic speakers (those who drop their R's after vowels), often insert R's where there are none. Think of JFK's exaggerated "Cuber." "Castro pahks the cah in Cuber." This is also happening in the UK, where non-rhotic speakers will insert a slight R sound after a schwa vowel. As an example, you'll hear "idear" for idea, or "drawring" for drawing, etc...
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

And with coffee, I always say caw-fee and chocolate is chawk-lit.
Masha

Post by Masha »

In: Doctor Who (2005–) Season One: Episode One: "Rose"

Rose Tyler: If you are an alien how come you sound like you're from the North?
The Doctor: Lots of planets have a North!
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:12 pm

I can't stand British accents that can't pronounce the R! It seems fairly common. HEAH. THEHA. WTH? Pronounce your Rs!!!!
British accents have become largely non-rhotic over the centuries. The southwest accents (Cornwall, Devon, etc) are still largely rhotic. But most of the population is now non-rhotic. You hear it a lot here because London accents are non-rhotic, and that's what you'll hear most often in the media.
The southern US used to have non-rhotic accents as well, but those have largely faded away.

I find it humorous that non-rhotic speakers (those who drop their R's after vowels), often insert R's where there are none. Think of JFK's exaggerated "Cuber." "Castro pahks the cah in Cuber." This is also happening in the UK, where non-rhotic speakers will insert a slight R sound after a schwa vowel. As an example, you'll hear "idear" for idea, or "drawring" for drawing, etc...
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why have the R consonant at all if you won't pronounce it? Waste of time!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2023, 6:03 pm
Past my bedtime! Sorry!

Aww, it's okay, I still love you, lol. Listen, good refreshing restorative sleep is definitely needed more than ever in this crazy world!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I can't stand British accents that DON'T pronounce the R! It seems fairly common. HEAH. THEHA. WTH? Pronounce your Rs!!!!
It's not that they don't pronounce r's. That letter denotes a different sound for rhotic speakers of English than it does for non-rhotic speakers.

For example, if you compare the words "bird" and "bid."
A non-rhotic speaker does not prnounce those words the same way.
The "r" in "bird" denotes a different sound for a non-rhotc speaker than it does for a rhotic speaker.