What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I actually really have a fondness for the movie, Night Unto Night. LIke Moira says, it does capture a certain haunting quality, and I do like Brod in this offbeat role.

Just finished Server's Ava Gardner bio, Love is Nothing, and How the West Was Sung: Music in John Ford's Westerns. I'm not sure what is up next, I have quite a few books waiting.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Because of Moira and this forum's insistence on giving us access to writers, I've been trapped into getting two of Eve Golden's books and I've started reading PLATINUM GIRL and 41 ESSAYS.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ollie wrote:Because of Moira and this forum's insistence on giving us access to writers, I've been trapped into getting two of Eve Golden's books and I've started reading PLATINUM GIRL and 41 ESSAYS.
I'm in a similar situation---I think my next book will be Scott Eyman's biography of Louis B. Mayer!

I've read Platinum Girl, it's great!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm almost through with Jerry Lewis' "Dean and Me (A Love Story)." It's really fascinating - when did Jerry Lewis get so introspective? Wonder how much of the book is really his - there's a co-writer credited; the text doesn't really sound like Lewis talking, but who knows?

In any event, "Love Story" is right. His description of the first time he met Dino sure sounds like love at first sight to me. His descriptions of Martin's importance to the act jibe with other works I've read about Martin and his importance in keeping the Rat Pack focused when they entertained in Las Vegas. Lewis' description of the difference in chracter between Sinatra and Martin actually sounds pretty insightful (Dino emerges the winner in terms of character).

Yes, time does do wonders for putting things into perspective.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

JDB, this book too always made me wish John would have lived and he and Paul could have kept me MORE entertained with their newer music! Alas...

No one would mistake me for a Jerry fan, but that book and his small role in the most excellent FUNNY BONES gave me more interest in the Martin & Lewis films - well, at least I watch 'em once!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ollie wrote:JDB, this book too always made me wish John would have lived and he and Paul could have kept me MORE entertained with their newer music! Alas...
I watched a documentary on BBC America last night about The Beatles. Most of the info any casual fan might know but one thing did get my interest. May Pang, the young woman Yoko encouraged to have an affair with John during their spilt, said that John had told her he was thinking about writing with Paul again. That maybe a get together would be worth thinking about. (Paul and Ringo had visited him in CA.) Then he went back to Yoko and that killed the idea.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Judith, I saw Jerry Lewis at a motivational seminar 3 years ago in Kansas City. He was witty, and funny, and not over the top. He talked a lot about Dean Martin, and was extremely moving in his description of their time together. I don't think there was anyone who was not moved by his talk. He really choked up at one point, and so did all of us.

A friend has a child with MD, and sent him, after much hesitation, to one of the Jerry Lewis summer camps. She and her son can't say enough about how wonderful it was, and how it lived up to ALL of the promises made by the promotional materials.

He may not be the greatest movie star, and I guess he was a real pain in his earlier glory days, but he has come out a real winner for me.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's amazing what the Muscular Dystrophy Association has done for children and their families; and I read not too long ago that some major research breakthrough has been made. That, too, would have been funded by the MDA.

If you haven't read Jerry's book yet, Knitty, I recommend you do - you'll like it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What I know about Jerry Lewis came through a Dino biography. At the time I read the book I thought Jerry was still smarting a little because Dino had all the success obviously he's either mellowed with the passing years or it was never true.

As a Brit I wasn't fimiliar with all the charity work Jerry Lewis did, only through reading that bio. What a good guy to use his fame for doing good for others.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have two Lewis books. One is "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime (Especially Himself.) by Arthur Marx (Groucho's son.) It was back when they were still estranged. That take on the whole thing wasn't so flattering of their situation. I don't hink either of them were interviewed but a great many people around them were.

The other is "Jerry Lewis - In Person." It's been a long time. I'll have to pull it off of my shelf.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

One of the things that makes me think that Jerry has mellowed is his inclusion of his first wife, Patti, in the story ("Dean and Me"). For years after the breakup of their very long marriage, he treated her as if she didn't exist.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I've finished Ringo and John from the box set and started on the final one, George (of course.) Haven't been able to get much farther in Duma Key due to the bad weather we had this past weekend. Between being called in to work to cover for someone who was snowed in and shoveling myself out, little time has been left for anything but relaxing and letting the muscles rest.

O' Spring, where art thou? :roll:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
charliechaplinfan

I've just finished reading Laundry Man's Daughter a biogrpahy of Anna May Wong. As far as I know it's the only book available about her and I'm a fan of all the films I've seen.

This biography was really frustrating. It told me nothing really of her private life and it presumed what she was thinking. It had no family input and kept quoting letters from one set of friends. I still feel in the dark about her but I have a better understanding of her movie career and travels.

An example of how frustrating was in the naming of Anna's lovers Mickey Neilan and Tod Browning who dissappointed her, why just because they left her. The author didn't explore this and put it down to race difference and the problems such a relationship would encounter. But there were no further details....... a frustrating experience.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Charlie, LOVE your new avatar!
charliechaplinfan

Why thank you :D

I found the picture in a book of James Abbe pictures. It's one of the nicest pictures of Chaplin. He had such an interesting face. This picture makes him look quite distinguished and a silver fox :D . He's about 40 in this picture. I think this picture shows what all his leading ladies saw in him :D

I thought I'd better make the effort. I tried a few times and got a massive picture. I was tempted to ask my husband who can solve all my computer queries but I worked it out myself. I won't say how long it took as it would be too embarassing but I'm proud of myself for working it out.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin