Post by CineMaven »

:)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Re: ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Post by ChiO »

Knitty wrote:
ChiO, if you have to force yourself to view something over and over again, what's the point?
I don't know what to say...other than:

I didn't marry the most wonderful woman in the world after the first date.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Had to work to get her attention, did you? persistent rascal, aintcha?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Discovered more about her the more you dated her, huh?

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

And SHE discovered more about him...must be an absolute angel. No wonder he calls her 'wonderful'..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Love...ain't it grand.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Lucky In Kentucky." Lucky we don't have to agree on everything!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#008000]CineMaven[/color][/u] wrote:...Think I'll bring "VERTIGO" with me to my bar this rainy day. All they care about there is that the movie is in color. Ha! They'll get Kim Novak and won't know what hit 'em.
[u][color=#0000BF]JACK FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:Naughty girl! You know even with the sound down it's impossible NIOT to watch a Hitchcock film.
:-) HA! You thinK? Why you don't know the "girls" in Upper Sandusky!
Any bets on how long it takes them to figure out its a Hitchcock?
I'll take that bet. But I've got to warn you, they'll be drinking and talking. They won't even pay attention to Jimmy and Kim. Well...I'm headin' in now. Like I said, with me and movies...three's a crowd, much less a bar full o' people.
Well...I took my DVD of “VERTIGO” to my Friday night watering hole. I recorded ninety-seconds of the movie to show what it’s like to watch a movie at the bar. I repeated those ninety-seconds...w/ subtitles here:

Don’t drink and drive.
Don’t text and drive.
...And don’t watch Alfred Hitchcock at a bar.

Signed,

"Tipsy in Poughkeepsie"....by way of NYC.

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

"Re : ALFRED HITCHCOCK
by knitwit45 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:24 pm

VERTIGO took a lot of viewings...plus Chris Marker's essay.ChiO, if you have to force yourself to view something over and over again, what's the point? I'd rather watch something I enjoy than that! I'll be knocking on your door soon....thanks, Jacks, for the invitation."

Knitwit: I agree with your ressponse to ChiO, but sometimes curiosity takes over. When loads of people say a certain movie is exceptional, you just feel kind of urged to rewatch and see what everyone else sees. That's me with Citizen Kane. I'll never understand what people see in it. I've watched it numerous times but have never had a 'lightbulb' moment with it. I've now given up and will probably never see it again, and still think it's just a badly directed, badly edited, and terribly lighted movie.

Also, my two cents regarding Vertigo is that as much as I love Jimmy Stewart, even he could not bring this movie up out of the doldrums. It's too long, and too predictable in many ways.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What's your favorite movie... or movies Anne? What movies do you really hold close to your heart?

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Cinemaven:

I know this is off topic, so I'll just list them. I tried to do just 5 but that is impossible, so I went to 10. They are in no particular order such as a scale of from 1 to 10.

1. Casablanca
2. Steel Magnolias
3. The Enemy Below
4. Fort Apache
5. Two Rode Together
6. Ride Lonesome
7. The Women
8. Westward the Women
9. Stars in my Crown
10. Stagecoach

It's a rather eclectic list with some 'chick flicks' and some man movies, but I have to really like a movie to recommend it for someone to watch, and I would stand behind any one of these and the 15 or so more I could add.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thats hilarious T! I'm dizzy just trying to keep up with these ladies conversation.... maybe I need a drink and then I'll watch it again. :D

Anne, I'm with you on several of your picks, Westward the Women, Fort Apache, Casablanca, and Stars in My Crown. I think Maven will really appreciate Westward the Women, Casablanca and The Women, as well. She's a big fan.

Are you a Hitch fan? Which of his are your faves?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I can't even imagine watching Vertigo in a bar, you are intrepid, T-Mave. But if I ever opened a bar or restaurant, I'd definitely show classic films ALL the time. And I might not be in business long. :D

I tend to avoid polls like "Sight and Sound" but it's always interesting to read reactions to them, and what others would choose instead. I'm happy about Vertigo though I have no real opinion about what is the "best" film of all time. I'll leave that to the so-called experts. I couldn't really say what was Hitch's best film. I think you, Theresa, covered two of them in your splendid "Movie Chats": Shadow of a Doubt and of course, Vertigo.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope that no one minds, but if you like Hitchcock, I thought that this featurette, The Hitchcocks on Hitch (2004), which was included on the DVD of Strangers on a Train issued 8 years ago, might interest someone else. I really enjoyed this engaging mini-doc "demystifying" the Hitchcock family after several years of critical biographies emphasizing the director's dark side. I suspect that the stable home and happiness he knew with his wife, daughter and grandchildren helped to free him to express himself on screen, shining a light on the many faces of human nature (even his own).

It's a lovely tribute to their playful patriarch (who just happened to be a giant in world cinema).

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks