Best and Worst Lines in Movie History

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Re: Best and Worst Lines in Movie History

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:
Raymond: I'll show you the way.

Anne: I can see the way, Raymond. Straight down.
David Niven and Deborah Kerr - Bonjour Tristesse

Oh wow, for the first time I see that line of Deborah's as foreshadowing her fate...
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“QUAI DES ORFEVRES”

Inspector Antoine to Dora, the Photographer:

“Besides I have to admit I’ve taken a liking to you Miss Dora Monnier. Because you and I are
two of a kind. When it comes to women, we’ll never have a chance.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh wow, for the first time I see that line of Deborah's as foreshadowing her fate...
I know! it absolutely LEAPED out of the film at me this time.
“Besides I have to admit I’ve taken a liking to you Miss Dora Monnier. Because you and I are
two of a kind. When it comes to women, we’ll never have a chance.”
Brilliant! :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Yes Jack. That single line has the weightiness of a Greek tragedy.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maven, I can't stop thinking about that movie! If I were picking a movie as a guest programmer, this is the one I would choose. Thanks for sending it my direction.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

That movie lingers and lingers. Your thoughts in your review said it -- about how the music hall and police station still live on. And your description of the tomb Brignon lived in was vivid. The Inspector with his son just killed me; getting hit in the face with the snowball... - - the warmth and sensitivity of the movie... and taking its time to show us these worlds...and not condemning the Inspector or Dora or Jenny or Maurice was very humane. Bad guys were one thing. But these good folks were another.

I'm glad you were receptive to it. And by the by...my avatar is the lovely Cathy O'Donnell.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! Incredible! That's the best picture of her I've ever seen! Beautiful.
The small mailman smells like chocolate.
- Up
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Nasty things, these shootings. -- Detective Davis (Don Nagel) in JAIL BAIT
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"We, the monkey people, are the greatest folk in the jungle. We know it is true...because we always say it!"

The Jungle Book
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My two favorite lines in Patton Movie back in 1970.

[last lines]
Patton: [voiceover] For over a thousand years, Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph - a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot, or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.

Capt. Oskar Steiger played by Siegfried Rauch
The pure warrior... a magnificent anachronism.

I get goose bumps hearing this ... perfect description of General Patton!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I hope I'm not repeating anybody because I haven't been able to read this thread in several weeks, so I'm not up to date with it. I was reminded of this today when Angie Harmon was on The View and she and Whoopi Goldberg were in agreement that this was a great movie line, and I certainly agree. Just before the end of the second Aliens movie, Ripley says to the alien "Get away from her, you b__ch!" I look forward to that line whenever I see the movie, it, like Them is one of my favorite sci-fi movies.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image

What a GREAT line you picked Mrs. L!!! I remember it so clearly in the theatre. The crowd cheered when Sigourney Weaver came out in that gear to save Newt. ( It was foreshadowed earlier in the movie...but we had NO IDEA how it would be used later ---- smart! ) And when she DOES come out...and walks forwards...and spits out that line like a mama bear protecting her cub, the audience ERUPTED with SCREAMS and CHEERS. ( The last time I saw that type of reaction will be my next post on "Best & Worst LInes in Movie History." ) That moment with Weaver was one of the most perfect moments in Movies. Glad you thought of it.

Anyone wanting to hear Sigourney for herself need only click onto the first picture. The thing with Weaver in this movie...and in "ALIEN" is that she's no superhero. She's no Wonder Woman or Emma Peel. She's an astronaut, sent to do a job, left to be the last "man" standing and terrified to face this monster. She fought through her terror to face the alien. And became a hero to a lot of moviegoers.

What a GREAT scene!

hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Here's a line that I'm surprised hasn't made it onto this thread yet.

"As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill, as God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Weather conditions have improved tremendously over the mainland, so you won't have any trouble at all seeing the target. Of course, we mustn't forget, that means that they won't have any trouble at all seeing you.

-- Major Danby (Richard Benjamin) in CATCH-22
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka: There's a CATCH.
Yossarian: A catch?
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka: Sure. Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get out of combat isn't really crazy, so I can't ground him.
Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka: You got it, that's Catch-22.
Yossarian: Whoo... That's some catch, that Catch-22.
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka: It's the best there is.