Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
RedRiver

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by RedRiver »

Wow. This one hurts. This is a loss. I don't believe I've seen the Siodmak film mentioned. And I don't think I'd forget it!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Mike! You have finally given me a good explanation regarding why Russian language youtube channels so often have Deanna Durbin tributes all over the place in English and Russian. I only discovered this performer a few years ago with the DVD release of the Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack with six of her best movies. I had never seen her before, and was delighted to discover this charming and talented girl, who had such a great career--and, I'm glad to see, a long life in the real world too. R.I.P. and here's hoping that many people will continue to discover her cinematic legacy for years to come.

If anyone would like to see this performer at her height, I would recommend It Started With Eve (1941), which is a delightful screwball comedy with music. It features a great supporting cast including a (relatively) skinny Charles Laughton and a likable Robert Cummings, (and you don't often hear me endorsing ol' Bob, who's really good here). This movie can be seen beginning below:

[youtube][/youtube]

I second Redriver's mention of Robert Siodmak's Christmas Holiday (1944) which showcased a very different Durbin and the dark side of Gene Kelly (who was more than a dancer, even at the beginning of his legendary career):

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

thanks for posting Christmas Holiday, Moira. I was going to look for it because it sounded very intriguing, but I got sidetracked with other things. Can't wait to watch it!

I've been thinking a lot lately about films that were not big hits in their time, and performers who changed or tried to do something different with apparently lackluster results. There are a lot of films I love that were not popular or critical successes. I think of the people who sat in theaters back in the classic film era who appreciated someone like Deanna Durbin taking a risk, or growing up before their eyes. You know it's not always about the general public, and I hope this gave heart to those performers who were working back then. Think of all the opinions we have here at the SSO, and how different they can be (except about Geraldine Page) and then you realize how a performer or a movie that isn't the darling of the entire free world could still have meaning to one person, or even many without ever making any 'best of' list. I hope Ms. Durbin knew that her films from the later period in her career were also loved by many people even if the reviews or stats on sales didn't reflect it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Think of all the opinions we have here at the SSO, and how different they can be (except about Geraldine Page) and then you realize how a performer or a movie that isn't the darling of the entire free world could still have meaning to one person, or even many without ever making any 'best of' list. I hope Ms. Durbin knew that her films from the later period in her career were also loved by many people even if the reviews or stats on sales didn't reflect it.
I often find myself "discovering" a performer who seemed all too familiar to me at one time, but who may have had one or two great roles that haven't been widely viewed (part of the reason why Durbin was so obscure for many of us was the lack of television distribution of her films when many of us were kids). I guess the other thing to remember is that we are changing all the time too--and there are a wealth of undiscovered cinematic worlds yet to explore, much less understand and enjoy.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Echoing Mikes post about Deanna Durbin's picture in a Moscow theater:-
In 1958, Elizabeth Taylor and her then husband MIke Todd went to Russia and when Miss Taylor was mis-identified on Russian TV as "the American movie star, Deanna Durbin"..
Apparently, Miss Taylor thought that was a "hoot".......

Deanna Durbin was a beautiful lady, a wonderful singer and a great STAR...

R.I.P. Miss Durbin

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:Mike! You have finally given me a good explanation regarding why Russian language youtube channels so often have Deanna Durbin tributes all over the place in English and Russian. I only discovered this performer a few years ago with the DVD release of the Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack with six of her best movies. I had never seen her before, and was delighted to discover this charming and talented girl, who had such a great career--and, I'm glad to see, a long life in the real world too. R.I.P. and here's hoping that many people will continue to discover her cinematic legacy for years to come.

If anyone would like to see this performer at her height, I would recommend It Started With Eve (1941), which is a delightful screwball comedy with music. It features a great supporting cast including a (relatively) skinny Charles Laughton and a likable Robert Cummings, (and you don't often hear me endorsing ol' Bob, who's really good here).
Absolutely likewise Moira. Never had seen her before purchasing the Sweetheart Pack DVD Collection and I was hooked by her; especially by "It Started with Eve" (1941) and "First Love" (1939). And the former is the first film I'd recommend anyone to get introduced to this fabulous and charming star.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Appreciate the "Christmas Holiday" movie, Moira. Been wanting to see that again for a long time.
A bonus is Gladys George.
Joseph Goodheart
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I have the Sweetheart Pack, too. I bought it because it was so hard to see her films anywhere! I knew who she was for years, but I had never seen any of her films until I was in my 20's and AMC showed Three Smart Girls (the old AMC! when it used to be good).

A lovely woman with a beautiful voice.

Sandy K
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I heard the news this morning, how sad. Christmas Holiday is a fitting tribute to her Moira, thanks for posting.

I think it quite amazing that she could just turn her back on the pizzaz of Hollywood but she did, what a woman.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"George Jones' voice was a rowdy Saturday night uproar at a back-street beer joint, the heartbroken wail of the one who wakes up to find the other side of the bed empty, the far-off lonesome whistle of the midnight train, the look in the eyes of a young bride as that ring is placed on her finger, the memories of a half-asleep old man dreaming about the good old days."

Charlie Daniels
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Virginia Gibson, who played one of the smitten brides in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, has passed away:

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Virginia Gibson, a singer, dancer and actress who played one of the smitten girls in the classic MGM musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, died April 25 in Newtown, Pa. She was 88.

A regular on Broadway for more than decade starting in the 1940s, Gibson received a Tony Award nomination in 1957 for best featured actress in a musical for her work in Happy Hunting opposite Ethel Merman.

She later co-hosted the Emmy Award-winning children’s documentary series Discovery for ABC News that aired from 1962-70.

In director Stanley Donen’s Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954), Gibson plays Liza, the dark-haired beauty who winds up with Ephraim (Jacques d’Amboise) and leads the girls in the musical number “June Bride.” The film, one of the most beloved movie musicals in Hollywood history, was nominated for best picture, losing out to On the Waterfront.

The St. Louis native made her Broadway debut in 1943 as a dancing girl in Richard Rodgers’ A Connecticut Yankee and went on to appear in the musicals Laffing Room Only (1944), Billion Dollar Baby (1945), Hugh Button Shoes (1947), Look, Ma, I’m Dancing (1948) and Along Fifth Avenue (1949).

For more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ies-451646
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I just saw a headline that Ray Harryhausen has died. This is from USA Today but someone should have more soon.

Ray Harryhausen, the legendary special-effects master whose influence was felt both in his sci-fi and fantasy movies as well as in the works of later filmmakers such as George Lucas and Peter Jackson has died at the age of 92.

His family announced his death in London Tuesday via The Ray and Diana Harryhausen Foundation Facebook page.

Inspired by the original 1930s King Kong, Harryhausen made monsters come alive and thrilled audiences in the 20th century with a variety of movies such as Mighty Joe Young, Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I loved Ray Harryhausen's creations, which had an individuality and warmth of humanity missing from most CGI effects. He even made me feel compassion for Medusa in his last film, Clash of the Titans. I was so pleasantly surprised that TCM is already airing a TCM Remembers Ray Harryhausen tribute on the network. (This hasn't shown up on youtube yet). Of course, for many of us, two of the most memorable projects bearing Mr. H.'s stamp of fantastic creativity are these sequences:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

In the 80's while vacationing and getting 20-30 pictures of Rita Hayworth for my collections - I wanted to find something to do in the evening and there it was an evening seminar - either at UCLA and/or USC Campus that Ray Harryhausen will be sharing his experiences of animation, special effects, and at the same time they will be showing Mighty Joe Young at the same time and he explained to all of us of how he made it. It was an education that I never forget ... it was a spur of the moment decision and I thanked the Hotel Manager in getting a van service for me in getting there and back to my hotel later on.

He was fascinating man and I watched countless documentaries of how he pioneered special effects ... he is a true legend and a remarkable man with a vision of filmmaking. He explained things to us - so simple it blows our minds apart. He was a great speaker.

The seminar was 4 hours long and I did not get back to my hotel at 1am in the morning and realized that I only have 5 hours of sleep before meeting my friends that picking me up so we can go to Disneyland that day.

He is admired by many in his profession ...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here is the TCM Remembers Ray Harryhausen spot, beautifully made by Scott McGee:

[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks