WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Re: The Angel Levine (1970)

Unfortunately, SPTO, I missed about the first half hour of this movie, but didn't find it depressing as you did. I thought that one of the strengths of the film was that Zero Mostel (who was splendid) gave a good dramatic performance as a man who will not give up his right to his own despair. He's willful, spiteful, and at times very obnoxious, but truly interesting. Harry Belafonte (perfect casting for an angel), gave a good performance, but the oh, so cool dialogue he had to spout, has become very old fashioned since this film was made. Ida Kaminska as Mostel's very ill wife was wonderful, particularly in the almost silent scene in which she tells her husband to go to the store to get her some soda after she has explained to the doctor (Milo O'Shea) that this was one moment in her life she chooses not to share with her husband.

It was interesting to hear Robert Osborne mention that Edward G. Robinson had planned on performing the Zero Mostel part but had to bow out due to illness. How fascinatingly different Mr. R.'s performance might have been.

It was a joy to me to see the humor that runs through all of Bernard Malamud's writing on film. One of the things that has irked me about other film adaptations--even when they are well done, as in The Natural and The Fixer, is that little of Malamud's humor is retained on screen. Nevertheless, I agree that The Angel Levine is a minor, flawed gem.

Btw, SPTO, Yes, you were missed. Glad to see ya around!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last night I watched Minnelli's "Two Weeks in Another Town" for the first time ever.

It's a good film, but sadly, the print aired by TCM Latin was blurry, with washed-out colors and in that terrible Pan&Scan format. I am sure that these issues prevented me of enjoying the film more than I did.

The movie has a lot of connections with Minnelli's superior "The Bad and the Beautiful"; it's even showed -as a film within a film- as an example of the excellent quality of the films has-been director Maurice Kruger (expertly played by Edward G. Robinson) used to make.

Of the all-star cast: Kirk Douglas, Edward G. Robinson, Cyd Charisse, Claire Trevor, George Hamilton, George Macready, Rossana Schiaffino, Daliah Lavi et al, G. Robinson and Claire Trevor stand out.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well I watched some movies lately. None of which were exactly classics but oh well. The first thoughts are a reposting of something I said in another forum.

I, THE JURY (1982)

It's a Mike Hammer movie starring Armand Assante. So I guess I should've known how bad it was going to be just based on the guy playing Hammer but i've always liked Mike Hammer so I had to see how they did it. Every actor in the movie was stiff and couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. (except for Paul Sorvino) Assante mumbled his way through the role and Barbara Carrera was damn sexy but then again every woman in the movie got naked at some point.

Honestly, it was an excuse for poorly executed action scenes and sleazy sex scenes. It was just TERRIBLE.

I then saw a pretty weird Sci-Fi movie released by MGM called THE WILD, WILD PLANET. It's an Italian sci-fi cheapie movie that was released through MGM. The movie was just plain weird with a mad scientist trying to create a perfect race of humans. The SFX left a lot to be desired but at the same time it was highly watchable. Nonetheless it held my attention probably because of the hour I watched the movie at.

Late last night I watched the delightful animated movie CHICKEN LITTLE. Now that was some fun stuff. The inventive take on the old Chicken Little story was cute and Chicken and his pals had great interaction with each other. I especially liked the jokes having to do with Runt of the Litter (the big fat pig) as he was always going crazy or nervously eating LOL

I normally am more of a fan of cell animation but the CGI stuff was done quite well in this film. You really got the emotion of the characters and Chicken Little was very expressive from happy to sad to downright angry. It was very lifelike in terms of how they conveyed the emotions.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Over the weekend I watched some films:

"Evan Almighty" (2007). The less said about this particular film, the better.

"Passion Flower" (1930). An interesting curio and an OK melodrama. In my personal opinion, the lovely Kay Johnson is the player who shines the most in this early talkie, giving a sincere, luminous performance as a society girl who falls for her family chauffer (played by Charles Bickford) and leaves everything (comfort, social standing, etc.) to follow her heart. Kay Francis plays her sexy cousin, who stands by her side. Lewis Stone impersonates Miss Francis' much older rich husband and ZaSu Pitts is amusing as Kay Johnson's ever complaining and depressive landlady and later, maid. Dickie Moore is cute as Johnson's and Bickford's small son. Ray Milland has very small role as a society lad in London. Except for Miss Johnson's performance the other portrayals seemed rather stiff to me.

"Teacher's Pet" (1958). A good comedy. Gable and Day make a good match, battling over their ideas about journalism: he's an old, seasoned pro who does not care for formal education and she's just the opposite, a college professor. Gig Young has a very sympathetic role as down-to-earth, friendly intellectual. Mamie Van Doren has little to do.

"Satan Met a Lady" (1936). A strange film that never took off. I had hopes when it began, but they were lost almost immediately. In spite of Warren William's undeniable charm and charisma, the film in my opinion is a flop and I guess that the problem is the script. The screen writers did not make their mind if they were making a thriller, a mystery, a comedy, a spoof or what? From a comedic point of view the timing is just not right. Bette Davis is wasted. I really felt embarrassed for her. Arthur Treacher and Alison Skipworth at least have some moments. Marie Wilson is OK as a rather featherbrained secretary. Loosely based upon "The Maltese Falcon"

"Love Me or Leave Me" (1955). Not much real fact in this Ruth Etting biopic, but powerful performances by James Cagney and Doris Day and some awesome renditions of timeless standards like "Ten Cents a Dance", "You Made Me love You", "Shakin' the Blues Away"...
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've seen a mixed bag of stuff recently. First, I watched "Animal Farm," the British animated version from the Fifties. It was good. It had a grim mood that made me wish that the Disney style hadn't dominated animated features for so long. The ending disappoints. It isn't really Orwell, but, as the documentary on the DVD pointed out, the movie's ending ended up being more historically accurate than Orwell's ending.

Next, I watched "Watership Down," a British animated film from the late Seventies. It was enjoyable. (I've never read the novel, so I don't know how much it compressed or deleted.) The "myth" parts of the movie were very striking.

Today, I watched "The Fantastic Night," a French comedy from the Forties. I could almost picture it with Red Skelton or Danny Kaye. Either it was ripped off entire or in part by Hollywood. This was a very charming movie about a man who thinks he is in a dream when he meets the woman of his dreams. A lot of fun.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Hm let's see what have i watched lately?

THE AFRICAN QUEEN: I FINALLY got to see this great movie and it was worth the long wait. I really like the odd couple dynamic between Bogart and Hepburn and it was truly an acting Tour De Force!

MONSTER HOUSE: Interesting animated movie that takes the old haunted house idea and makes it fresh. Basically the house is possessed by the dead wife of the cranky, mean old neighbor.

AIRPORT '75: I finally saw the film that is truly the basis of AIRPLANE! in terms of some of the jokes such as the nun singing a crazy song to sick kid etc etc etc. Oh and some of the "dramatic" scenes in this movie were hilarious when taken out of context, especially when Charlton Heston's character is trying to get the stewardess to fly the plane.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I think "Chicken Little" and "Monster House" were some of the best children's movies released recently. "Chicken Little" was very, very funny, and "Monster House" actually had a very clever plot that mixed humor, scares, and character development.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I watched Lady for a Night from 1942 with John Wayne and Joan Blondell. This was all Joan's movie, John was only around for a little support once in a while. Joan is a riverboat gambling queen who longs to be a 'lady'. Through financial circumstances she finally gets her chance with a blue-blood but soon learns that money doesn't buy the way through those almighty old family doorways.

Through her screwups, John usually is able to pull her out without her knowing he fixed it, but finally the day comes when she finds out and of course she tells him she can go it alone. Foolish girl. The day after watching, I looked it up on a couple of different sites and found there were several opposing critiques. Two ladies, Blanche Yurka, and Edith Barrett, play Joan's two sisters in law, one nice, one caustic, but both quite well. There is a black lady (Joan's maid) who seemed to be trying to be Hattie McDaniels twin from GWTW, but in all, for something to see on a boring Saturday afternoon, or 2:30 a.m. as I did, it's not a bad one to check out, at least John is still his tall, trim, very handsome self.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I've been on Fall break this week and caught up (partly) with my movie watching.

Saw

"Easy Living" with Jean Arthur and Ray Milland--a little silly, but fun
Jean Arthur is just so darn cute. Like Meg Ryan in romantic comedy mode.

"Trouble In Paradise"--wonderful! The scene at the beginning, where they steal from each other and then when they repeat it at the end...yep, Lubitsch is a genius. And I totally revise my opinion of Herbert Marshall--they only movies I'd seen him in were "Blonde Venus" "Angel", "The Letter" and "The Little Foxes" (though the death scene was excellent) and he's a bit lackluster in them, but he sparkles in this. Makes me want to go out and find more of his movies to see if it's a fluke.

"Professional Sweetheart"--very funny! I" want a playboy! All the girls have 'em and I think they're cute!" LOL

"Sleuth"--Vair, vair creepy. Reminded me of "Mousetrap" a little. I liked the plot twists and turns and Michael Caine more than holds his own with Olivier. Interesting to note that Mankiewicz uses fake characters to trick the audience and one is "Eve Channing." (Robert O said "Margot Channing" but the jokes good either way)

"Pick-up on South Street"- not sure it lived up to it's reputation, but very enjoyable, especially Thelma Ritter.

In the queue, waiting to be viewed:

"The Story of Temple Drake"
"Girls About Town"
"Carmen Jones"
"Holiday" w/Ann Harding (Thanks Fealito/Fernando!)
"Show People"
"M"
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

SPTO: I love Wild Wild Planet. Goofy as hell, but fun all the way.

Tracey: Trouble in Paradise is one of my all time favorites. It's just a brilliant movie all the way through.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I watched the KINO DVD edition of "Queen Kelly" (1928).

I had wanted to see this film with a fame of flawed masterpiece, for quite a long time and I wasn't disappointed. I found it to be quite a beautiful film, with gorgeous cinematography and suggestive sets -before the story reaches the point when Kelly travels to Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania.

Miss Swanson did look older than 17 or 18 of course (many reviewers have complained about this), but I feel she was able to convey the purity and innocence the part required. I hadn't seen Walter Byron in a leading role before -I had only seen him in a supporting role in "The Last Flight"- and I think he did a very fine job as the Royal Prince who falls for Kelly. The love story between both of them plays like a fairy-tale romance, rather unbelievable, but that's all right with me.

Seena Owen is fantastic as the decadent queen. Her character is pure Von Stroheim! BTW, I found some connections between this film and "The Wedding March".

The portion of this film that developed in Tanzania, was truly creepy. And Tully Marshall's character utterly despicable. The wedding scene played like a horror movie. It really had nothing to do with first two thirds of the film.

I appreciate the efforts made by the restorers to try to put this film together with all the existing footage, stills and title cards that survived.

And the Extras were a treat. The filmed/videotaped introduction of Gloria during the 1960s or 1970s... How old was she? She looked so young! What a charming lady. She didn't seem to age. She also sounded so young. Such a beautiful voice. I was in awe of her.

The Swanson ending was also interesting to watch.

All the written memos, excerpts, documents, outtakes, the audio interviews with Wilder, Dwan et al, superb!

And above all that, a highly entertaining episode of a 1952 TV Series with Von Stroheim as Private Investigator and almost all the excerpts of the 1922 film "Merry-Go-Round", that were filmed by Von Stroheim, before Rupert Julien took over. The opening scenes of this film that show the Count played by Norman Kerry in his private apartments, uncannily predate similar scenes of "The Wedding March". Can anyone tell me if the Rupert Julien version of this film is any good?

Another thing that struck me while watching this 1928 film is that the main character, an Irish girl, is named Patricia Kelly and that same year Grace Patricia Kelly, daughter of a wealthy Irishman from the East Coast, was born. Joseph Kennedy, another wealthy Irishman backed financially this film. Any connections there?

Today I watched "1408", a highly atmospheric horror-thriller based upon a Stephen King story, with John Cusack. Well done.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

tracey wrote:"Sleuth"--Vair, vair creepy. Reminded me of "Mousetrap" a little. I liked the plot twists and turns and Michael Caine more than holds his own with Olivier. Interesting to note that Mankiewicz uses fake characters to trick the audience and one is "Eve Channing." (Robert O said "Margot Channing" but the jokes good either way)...
"Show People"
"M"
I love that Caine is now starring in the Olivier role for the remake. Jude Law is in Caine's old role. It's like passing the baton... They can make this every 20 years, bringing in a new male ingenue and retiring the elder statesman...

I saw Show People at 2006 Silent Film Festival. It's a delight! You'll recognize shots from the opening of TCM's Sunday Night Silents. Marion Davies and Billy Haines are a joy to watch, and you'll see many cameos from others on the lot. I found Paul Ralli to be a curiousity. Who was he? Where did he come from and whatever happened to him? Great fun!

M is chilling and disturbing. A good Hallowe'en season treat!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched "The Roaring Twenties" last night on DVD. It had been over twenty years since I'd seen it, but it is a terrific movie. Cagney has the viewer in his pocket through the whole film. I liked the fact that he was madly in love with one girl while oblivious to the fact that another girl was madly in love with him.

Raoul Walsh had a knack for making funny sequences that didn't break the overall mood of the film.

The final shootout between Cagney and Bogart and Cagney's death scene on the church stairs is justifiably a classic.

It reminded me of a comment by Walsh that you could kill Cagney but people would still like the movie, but if that wasn't true of other male stars. Other than Tom Hanks in "Saving Private Ryan," when was the last time a male lead died in a film lately?
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
tracey wrote:"Sleuth"--Vair, vair creepy. Reminded me of "Mousetrap" a little. I liked the plot twists and turns and Michael Caine more than holds his own with Olivier. Interesting to note that Mankiewicz uses fake characters to trick the audience and one is "Eve Channing." (Robert O said "Margot Channing" but the jokes good either way)...
"Show People"
"M"
I love that Caine is now starring in the Olivier role for the remake. Jude Law is in Caine's old role. It's like passing the baton... They can make this every 20 years, bringing in a new male ingenue and retiring the elder statesman...

I saw Show People at 2006 Silent Film Festival. It's a delight! You'll recognize shots from the opening of TCM's Sunday Night Silents. Marion Davies and Billy Haines are a joy to watch, and you'll see many cameos from others on the lot. I found Paul Ralli to be a curiousity. Who was he? Where did he come from and whatever happened to him? Great fun!

M is chilling and disturbing. A good Hallowe'en season treat!

Are they remaking it? Usually I don't care for modern remakes (though there are some exceptions, of course) but I think I'll check this one out.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
Moraldo Rubini

Popcorn!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

tracey wrote:Are they remaking it [Sleuth]? Usually I don't care for modern remakes (though there are some exceptions, of course) but I think I'll check this one out.
It was released to theatres last Friday... Enjoy!