DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY!

Chit-chat, current events
Dewey1960

Re: DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY!

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey DJH-Judith - The two old guys are Mark Vollman and Howard Kaylin - two of the founding members of 60s pop mega group THE TURTLES. As you probably know, they disbanded that group around 1970 and, under scenester Frank Zappa's watchful eye they became the FLOURESCENT LEECH AND EDDE (FLO & EDDIE). The shots of them in their elder years were probably taken in the past couple of years. The handful or records they put out as FLO & EDDIE between 1972 and 1976) are pure, unadulterated LA 70s power pop at its best. They still tour around, sometimes reuniting with other former Turtles.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey1960 wrote:Hey DJH-Judith - The two old guys are Mark Vollman and Howard Kaylin - two of the founding members of 60s pop mega group THE TURTLES. As you probably know, they disbanded that group around 1970 and, under scenester Frank Zappa's watchful eye they became the FLOURESCENT LEECH AND EDDE (FLO & EDDIE). The shots of them in their elder years were probably taken in the past couple of years. The handful or records they put out as FLO & EDDIE between 1972 and 1976) are pure, unadulterated LA 70s power pop at its best. They still tour around, sometimes reuniting with other former Turtles.
Oh, Dewster, you Merry Prankster. I was being sarcastic. It's always a little bit of a shock to see people one remembers from Way Back When all old and decrepit, when one has maintained such youthful dynamism and daintiness oneself. :wink: [The preceeding smiley is sarcasm, too. :wink: :wink: ] I don't know why, but the one who gives me the most pause is always Arlo Guthrie, who seems to be morphing into Dumbledorethe Wizard.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Then there was the time that Wife #1 and I were checking into the old Holiday Inn on Lake Shore Drive around 1976 and standing next to us were Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman. All I remember was Howard talking about some chick in Brooklyn who'd come to Manhattan and.... Nevermind. I just hummed Happy Together.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ChiO wrote:Then there was the time that Wife #1 and I were checking into the old Holiday Inn on Lake Shore Drive around 1976 and standing next to us were Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman. All I remember was Howard talking about some chick in Brooklyn who'd come to Manhattan and.... Nevermind. I just hummed Happy Together.
Oh, oh, my splitting sides!!

Can you hear me laughing from here?

[You dawg]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

DJ-Judith sez: I was being sarcastic.
But you did it so well!
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

HAPPY ADMINISTRATIVE PROFESSIONALS DAY! It's early yet -- about 1:30, one of my attorneys will either email me or telephone me from his office and say "Why didn't you tell me that it's Secretary's Day?????" Happens every year. They're so cute.

Here's The Typewriter, by Leroy Anderson (c. 1952) -- Did you know -- when this was to be performed by an orchestra for the first time, they lined up a speed typist to do the keyboard sounds, but he couldn't keep up with the tempo that Anderson wanted, so they had to get one of the drummers to do it (it's a drummer on this recording as well). Nowadays, most orchestras don't even bother with the pretense of a typewriter, they just have the percussion section imitate the sound. When a real typewriter is used for this piece, the tempo has to be slowed down. (I can do about 80 wpm on a typewriter, and 120 wpm on the computer, when I'm on a roll -- not too shabby. Don't know how fast I can drum 'cause I never tried.)

[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

By the way, boys, I'm beginning to regret sharing tidbits of my mildly wild youth with you. And it was all so perfectly innocent for the most part, too. Good thing I didn't tell all -- your collective little fingers would be ever so busy on this message board.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Now we in the office are happily digesting our ADMINISTRATIVE PROFESSIONALS DAY free luncheon. It's time for my moment of zen, courtesy of the great Ernie Kovacs. Please bear in mind that this stuff was all shiny and new back then (early 50s); the new medium of television took itself very seriously; we didn't know about conceptual art, there wasn't any video art and, heck, there wasn't even any video tape. This was all done live.

[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

She sez: By the way, boys, I'm beginning to regret sharing tidbits of my mildly
wild youth with you. And it was all so perfectly innocent for the most part, too.

DJ-Judith...you mean you weren't being...sarcastic? (Visualize a smiley,
winking yellow faced thing; can't quite bring myself to actually put one here)
JOHN FRED & HIS PLAYBOY BAND "Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)"
[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

In case you have any doubts, Judith...

MARC ALMOND “St. Judy”
[youtube][/youtube]
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hmmmmm ...... guess it's a good thing I couldn't understand most of Almond's words. He lost me after "She's acting like a whore."

Thanks, pal. [Yes, that was sarcasm. And don't call me Judy.]

[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Oops, I missed that. That'll teach me for posting a song with lyrics I can't make out except for a line about "a fantasy."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A Happy Yip-yip-yip 25th Anniversary to Mr. & Mrs. Movieman1957 and
to my loving Rama-lama-ding-dong. The stars must have been perfectly
aligned on April 29, 1984, for Chris and me. Hronia Polla!

The WILLOWS “Church Bells May Ring”
[youtube][/youtube]

The CRESTS “Step By Step”
[youtube][/youtube]

The QUIN-TONES “Down the Aisle of Love”
[youtube][/youtube]

The ETERNALS “Babalu’s Wedding Day”
[youtube][/youtube]

The PARAGONS “Wedding Bells”
[youtube][/youtube]

The CUBS “I Hear Wedding Bells”
[youtube][/youtube]

SHEP & the LIMELITES “Our Anniversary”
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A happy anniversary to Mr & Mrs ChiO and
Mr & Mrs. Movieman1957 from the entire
Record Party staff and crew...
LLOYD PRICE "I'm Gonna Get Married"
[youtube][/youtube]
RONNIE & THE HI-LITES "What A Pretty Bride You'd Be"
[youtube][/youtube]
BOB B. SOXX & THE BLUEJEANS "Not Too Young To Get Married"
[youtube][/youtube]