To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by JackFavell »

Here are some pictures of GCH Foxcliffe Hickory Wind, this year's Westminster winner that Klondike posted above:

Definitely Scottish.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote: Definitely Scottish.
OCH AYE!
She's a treve fine lassie, sa she be'n!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

A Scotchman in the Highlands with his Lurchers
klondike

Post by klondike »

From a dedicated Dog Owner, a special appeal to all Cat Owners:

Please make sure all your cats are up-to-date with their feline distemper vaccinations!
This should be an annual shot for all cats over 5 mos. of age, who are not only at risk to contract/suffer/even die from this devastating viral killer, but while carrying it, can infect DOGS with it, wherein it manifests as canine parvo virus.
{Remember the great 'parvo' epidemic among dogs in the early 80's? I sure do - I lost two dogs over a year & 1/2 to it.}
In early January, my Alaskan Malamute boy Flint picked-up a tiny nose-scratch from a trespassing neighborhood tom, which I disregarded as "spoils of war" . . until two days later, when he was feverish & lethargic & nauseous & trembling . .
Long story short . . the vet informed me that the two reasons Flint survived were: 1) his cast-iron Malamute constitution, and 2) last Summer, the 5-way shot she gave him included an innoculant vs. parvo . . . but nevertheless, he did suffer a minimal amount of liver failure - which might never entirely heal, which in turn might end up paring a year or two off his potential life expectancy. :cry:
So . . . cat owners: have all your animals vaccinated for feline distemper - if your family vet prefers do a 'multiple' shot', make sure it includes the distemper innoculant - this is critical. Kittens can be vaccinated as early as 100 days of age.
Dog owners - don't let this metamorphic killer take your best friend away - if your dog is NOT protected by the correct vaccine, or innoculant, the result of infection is 90% fatal.
If your vet relies on a '5-Way' shot, make sure it guards against rabies, canine distemper, leptospirosis, brucelosis & canine parvo virus. Pregnant bitches should receive a parvo booster between their 2nd & 5th weeks of gestation, pups should get their first vaccine between weaning & 5 months.

I've also posted this in the "Domestic Cat" thread.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Image
:wink: In the spirit of the season...it's usually a lion lying down with a lamb, I know, but won't this do?
I spent 20 minutes today in the CATS Thread - now another 20 minutes in the DOGS Thread - Boy, members in the SSO world love (including me) their dogs and cats, kittens and puppies, and all animals in between! It is nice to have threads like this to reminds ourselves the joys of owning a pet. I had a pet dog - a mongrol a breed between a hound and dashhund and he was with me from 6 to 21 - I literally cried when my beloved pet died when he passed away ... he always have a special place in my heart. His name was POGO.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moraldo R. posted this on Facebook, it is so moving, and I hope, if you are a tad guilty, this is a gentle reminder to be a little kinder.

http://thebark.com/content/be-gentle-i-know-my-dog-old
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

You are absolutely correct!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Neat Pictures of Dogs Here
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS PET DOG

Isn't this picture insane. The costume is so elaborate - the owner of this adorable beagle put a lot of effort into this.
Its reminded me of Xena Warrior Princess Show - starring Lucy Lawless.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Got these from a dear friend of mine

Unreal Photos
Attachments
Real Funny Folks
Real Funny Folks
Dogs Lining Up.jpg (102.96 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Great Photo Here
Great Photo Here
Round Head Dogs.jpg (23.33 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, that one of the dogs queuing up cracks me up!

I don't usually like anything marked funny dog picture because usually, it's something set up by an owner that looks uncomfortable - or they really aren't funny. But I found a couple that made me smile because they looked like real things dogs would do.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JF, the second photo you posted reminds me of a collie named Teddy that we had in our family for many years. On hot summer days Teddy could usually be found in the bathroom wrapped right around the base of the commode like a furry letter U, since he found the porcelain remained relatively cool thanks to the cold water that flowed through the base. It was pretty tricky trying to use the facilities without disturbing Ted, who resented having to move from his perch during those "dog days." I can still see that hurt look Teddy would give me when I made him move.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha! My dog also used to like to sleep in the bathroom, but not around the commode... yours must have been a pretty smart puppy to realize he could get cool all over instead of just on the part that touched the floor. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was checking the school closings this morning when I saw this. These dogs were on Good Morning America today.

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I saw this cute yellow lab dog with her owners on GMA too. I love the squint and the half grimace, half grin that Denver the dog had when caught being bad. That older golden retriever looks deceptively innocent, don't you think? No word on what the cats in the household think of it all. Of course, they may have been the ones who squealed on the dog.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks