The Royals!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: The Royals!

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't know how he would have dealt with the Second World War, it's impossible to say, the fact he met Hitler shows a distinct lack of judgement, then there are those that say if we had fallen he would have come back as King which I doubt, I like to believe he was patriotic but niave, that's the best way to explain away his actions. It was a terribly empty life afterwards, for his first 40 years he was the man expected to be King treated with decorum, then he still goes out and about but with celebrities and away from most of the crowd that he would have grown up with. I wonder if he had to live his life again what he would have chosen?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I wonder that too, but I suspect with something as big as that, he wouldn't have changed his mind. The human brain would never want to admit it was the wrong thing to do, after such a ruckus, and he might have rationalized the outcome to have been better than the alternative.
charliechaplinfan

No, perhaps it was his way out, it was one thing being Prince of Wales another being King. We'll never know but there will be endless speculation.

I think Madonna's film was panned here, a pity seeing as the subject matter is so fascinating.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll have to look and see what it's all about. I never heard of it.
charliechaplinfan

Perhaps it was that bad it didn't make it's way to America.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

W.E. (2011) was released in America, received a critical drubbing, and disappeared. It is already on DVD, though since I am neither a Madonna fan nor a Wallis Simpson sympathizer, I don't think I'll be rushing to see it.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Moira! Golly I am LOVING your avatar photo - It's so vivid and gorgeous! I have a black and white picture from that same photo shoot. There are a whole series of photos of Ella in different sporting guises, but I've never seen any in color!
charliechaplinfan

Whilst I have a bit of sympathy with Wallis, it is only a tiny amount and from what I've read Madonna treats her in a very sympathetic light which would probably annoy me enormously, so I haven't added it to my rental list.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Americans always saw the whole romance differently... my mother always thought it was the most romantic thing in the world.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Thanks Moira! Golly I am LOVING your avatar photo - It's so vivid and gorgeous! I have a black and white picture from that same photo shoot. There are a whole series of photos of Ella in different sporting guises, but I've never seen any in color!
me too!
charliechaplinfan

That is very different from here, Edward VIII is like a stain on our history, I understood more when I was a teenager, to abdicate for love but now I think it's a selfish act, especially the way it was done, if there is any blame I leave it firmly at Edward's door.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Americans always saw the whole romance differently... my mother always thought it was the most romantic thing in the world.
Yes...giving up the throne for the woman he loved. Quite romantic for my mother, too.

On the other hand, my father taught me that Grace Kelly married down.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha!
charliechaplinfan

Naughty Prince Harry, we haven't got the pictures on our media but it is him. What was he thinking?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

He obviously wasn't thinking with his brain! :shock: