Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Hibi »

I liked her lips also.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: June 15th, 2023, 4:25 pm I liked her lips also.
Yep, so did I.

Ms. Jackson was a very fine looking woman in her younger days, alright.

In fact, she always reminded me of the second woman I ever co-habitated with back when I was a young buck in my twenties.

(...FWIW...the first one I "shacked-up with" always reminded me of another British actress...Samantha Eggar)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Not one mention on all 3 network news last night. Not even a 30 second blip that she died! A double Oscar winner! CBS ended the show with a story about NY police cars! (Big news!) JUST PATHETIC.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Swithin wrote: June 15th, 2023, 2:09 pm When Margaret Thatcher died in 2013, Parliament, in which Glenda Jackson was still an MP, was not in session but reconvened for tributes to Mrs. T. Mostly Tories showed up to give adulatory speeches in memory of Mrs. T. Glenda Jackson attended to do the opposite: to talk about how Mrs. T. hurt the country. This is one of the great political speeches.

I recall when this happened, because at the end of 2013, one user at the classic film board at IMDb gave her the designation of Best Actress of 2013 for "Margaret Thatcher Memorial Tribute"
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: June 16th, 2023, 7:51 am Not one mention on all 3 network news last night. Not even a 30 second blip that she died! A double Oscar winner! CBS ended the show with a story about NY police cars! (Big news!) JUST PATHETIC.
In a way, it is surprising (she did win two Oscars and steadily appeared in films in the 70s and 80s), but in a way not, since she was in politics for over 25 years and only recently returned to acting (her last film, a leading role opposite Michael Caine, is still awaiting release). I wasn't online much of yesterday, so I have to say that I was very shocked by the news of her passing. She was a very fine actress, especially in Sunday Bloody Sunday, Hopscotch, House Calls, and Turtle Diary.

I was also fond of her in the wild and wooly political satire Health, which was barely released in 1980, two years after it was actually filmed. Although set concerning an election for the president of a health food position, it is actually a scathing satire of presidential elections, well directed by Robert Altman, and containing a wonderful cast including Glenda, Carol Burnett, Lauren Bacall, James Garner, Henry Gibson, Dick Cavett, Paul Dooley, and Alfre Woodard.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I never saw Health but I wanted to. It barely got a release and didn't play locally.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:45 am I never saw Health but I wanted to. It barely got a release and didn't play locally.
Now you have your chance with the link above. :) I found it to be very amusing
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:51 am
Hibi wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:45 am I never saw Health but I wanted to. It barely got a release and didn't play locally.
Now you have your chance with the link above. :) I found it to be very amusing
Thanks!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Glenda Jackson camping it up in a sendup of Antony and Cleopatra on the Morcambe and Wise television show. Very low brow and British and quite wonderful

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Seems there is no love for Glenda on TCM either. I've yet to see a TCM REMEMBERS and they would have done so by now. Do they stop with 50s stars?
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: June 21st, 2023, 8:46 am Seems there is no love for Glenda on TCM either. I've yet to see a TCM REMEMBERS and they would have done so by now. Do they stop with 50s stars?
Well I view Jackson more as a late 60s actress, thus her film roles fall outside of the studio-era and TCM's main focus. Also Jackson is British.

It will be interesting to see what TCM does (or doesn't do), when Ellen Burstyn passes, who made it in films around the same time as Jackson, but was in a lot of US TV shows prior to making films and, of course, is American.

Note that I'm not taking a stand, one-way-or-the-other, but just exploring what-ifs, with regard to TCM's overall policy of such tributes.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Or when some MALE stars from the same era die. Nicholson; Pacino; Caine (who is British) etc....
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: June 21st, 2023, 10:57 am Or when some MALE stars from the same era die. Nicholson; Pacino; Caine (who is British) etc....
Well Nicholson was in around 15 or more films pre-1969. Caine was in around 8, but did TV work starting in the 50s.

Pacino is a post-studio-era actor.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Hopefully, the rumours of its death are exaggerated but ...
Yesterday, I noticed an abundance of posts on twitter about the demise of TCM (as we know it). TCM exists in Britain as a station that shows old very cheap films with commercials and no guest commentary. It is really rubbish.
This morning I saw this post ...

Will McKinley
@willmckinley
·
11h
Pool your money, buy the @TCM brand, and re-launch it as a standalone streaming service w/ licensed classic films from all studios.
Quote Tweet
Square profile picture
IndieWire
@IndieWire
·
13h
Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, and Paul Thomas Anderson have organized an emergency call to Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav to express their disagreement with his decision to layoff the network's top staff https://trib.al/Mc4o7MU