I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: January 15th, 2024, 3:47 pm Aw, thanks!

I really truly wish the last three minutes of “night of the tarantula” had involved the initial appearance and arraignment of the murderer in Jamaican court.

I can just imagine the sassy Jamaican magistrate looking down from the bench and asking:

“Okay now, lemme get diss straight, diss dead man’s fami-ly went to the Party City and Dey rented a smoke machine and a buncha white greasepaint an Dey pretended to be zombies in order ta getchu to con-fess to his murder AN YOU FELL FOR IT???? WHATS WITH YOU MON?!?!?! COME ON!!!!

An’ drop dat ridiculous fake French accent- you conflatin’ Jamaica wit Haiti an it’s LAZY!”
I don't know if you have Hulu access or not, but if you are in the mood for bad accents, there was an episode of Moonlighting with an Irish woman who thought she had the powers of a leprechaun who was looking for a pot of gold. Comments online said that her accent sounded Jamaican at one point.....
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Poor Dennis has undergone a sex change?
“WHAT THE &*%@ DO YOU THINK TEA IS, DENISE???!!!”
I was never fond of Michael Hagarty either.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

jimimac71 wrote: January 15th, 2024, 3:57 pm Poor Dennis has undergone a sex change?
Hahaha, not a DENNIS STANTON reference, no, “Denise” is a generic fictional name I tack on whenever I think someone is being obtuse/dramatic/ridiculous.

It’s in the same vein as “People are dying, Kim” and the more recent “murder is wrong, Joy.”
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 15th, 2024, 3:56 pm
Lorna wrote: January 15th, 2024, 3:47 pm Aw, thanks!

I really truly wish the last three minutes of “night of the tarantula” had involved the initial appearance and arraignment of the murderer in Jamaican court.

I can just imagine the sassy Jamaican magistrate looking down from the bench and asking:

“Okay now, lemme get diss straight, diss dead man’s fami-ly went to the Party City and Dey rented a smoke machine and a buncha white greasepaint an Dey pretended to be zombies in order ta getchu to con-fess to his murder AN YOU FELL FOR IT???? WHATS WITH YOU MON?!?!?! COME ON!!!!

An’ drop dat ridiculous fake French accent- you conflatin’ Jamaica wit Haiti an it’s LAZY!”
I don't know if you have Hulu access or not, but if you are in the mood for bad accents, there was an episode of Moonlighting with an Irish woman who thought she had the powers of a leprechaun who was looking for a pot of gold. Comments online said that her accent sounded Jamaican at one point.....
Yes, I think that’s a season one episode and one of the weaker ones. I keep meaning to catch “moonlighting“ on Hulu, especially since I’ve heretofore, had to catch up on old episodes on YouTube, and to bypass copyright issues they’ve cropped them or slightly sped-up or slowed the soundtrack.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Lorna wrote: January 15th, 2024, 5:37 pm
jimimac71 wrote: January 15th, 2024, 3:57 pm Poor Dennis has undergone a sex change?
Hahaha, not a DENNIS STANTON reference, no, “Denise” is a generic fictional name I tack on whenever I think someone is being obtuse/dramatic/ridiculous.

It’s in the same vein as “People are dying, Kim” and the more recent “murder is wrong, Joy.”
Right Lorna. I knew that. <cough>
I used to know a Denise. Her last name used most of the letters in the alphabet.
Otherwise, my favorite Denise:
“The most fun you can have in under two minutes and still have your clothes on.”
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

(2023) Directed by Michael Mann, and starring Adam Driver, Penelope Cruz and Shailene Woodley. (I watched it at a cineplex in Prescott Valley, AZ)

This film turned out to be a little different than I had expected, as instead of it being an encompassing biopic of the famed Italian auto maker Enzo Ferrari (1898-1988), it concentrates its story into one year of the man's life...the year 1957 and which would be one of the more challenging years of his life, both personally and financially.

In regard to the personal aspect, the film presents the estranged relationship he had with his first wife Laura (played by Cruz) who had helped build his company, and then also the ongoing relationship he had with his mistress Lina Lardi (played by Woodley) with whom he had had a child by during the second world war.

Financially his challenges at this time were that the cost of his racing ventures were not enough covered by the money his company took in selling the small number of expensive road cars to the public.

The only actual racing scenes that director Mann includes take place during the last quarter of his film and were excellently recreated. In fact, the whole period recreation throughout the film is excellently done and is beautifully photographed. The race shown is of the very last Mille Miglia through the Italian countryside and one of the most prestigious races at the time, but discontinued after a horrific accident took place killing many spectators during its final running. Mann recreates this accident in graphic detail, btw.

I felt this film drags a bit in spots, but overall is well done. The acting is excellent throughout the cast as well.

My rating: 6.9/10
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

We have been revisiting Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movies like Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz the past few weekends. This time around we saw THE WORLD'S END from 2013.

The same ensemble cast of charactors and in exactly the same vein of comedy/action/buddy film as the rest. Although much of the comedy is juvenile toilet type humor there is plenty of adult humor & situations.

The story begins with ONE guy who gathered his school buddies to recreate a "pub crawl" they never completed as teens in their hometown.
All the other guys grew up, got jobs, families & moved away but were talked into participating by the only guy who didn't! The beer at every pub is completed at The World's End Pub. (these guys love double entendres)

So they go back to their little English Village and start out in good spirits, although they notice disturbing changes- MOST notably that the unique, quaint atmosphere each pub is now "homogenized" all the same. (they use the same camera angle of the same set)

About a third of the way through, a fight ensues in the bathroom and the attacker is beheaded! But he keeps on fighting- he's an alien robot! And the more they go on, the more robots they encounter but they try keeping their cool in order to finish visiting all 12 Pubs in town.

Until they realize the robots are empty replacements of real people, just like "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" and of course a few of the school buddies have been "blanked". The rest is a big silly shoot 'em up action movie of defeating the aliens & taking back the real town, real people, saving Britain & the World.
The very end of the movie the aliens confess how they took over human brains first by using phones/social media as a control.
I very much liked the "soul sucking" parallel of replacing humans with homogenized sameness to the unique places/businesses replaced by homogenized sameness.

This movie definitely has adult appeal with the whole "regretful looking back at years wasted" balanced with tasteless, silly humor to keep it light & fun for kids. You know like old, classic movies.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

TikiSoo wrote: January 16th, 2024, 7:17 am We have been revisiting Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movies like Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz the past few weekends.
You know I'm not a big fan of modern movies, I tend to only make it 1/3 through most 21st century films at best, but I stumbled across SHAUN OF THE DEAD many years ago and was taken aback by how effective it was, I recall liking it in spite of not thinking that I would (same as when I saw the 2004(?) DAWN OF THE DEAD remake)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Dargo wrote: January 15th, 2024, 11:26 pm Image

(2023) Directed by Michael Mann, and starring Adam Driver, Penelope Cruz and Shailene Woodley. (I watched it at a 1.cineplex [/b]in Prescott Valley, AZ)

This film turned out to be a little different than I had expected, as instead of it being an encompassing biopic of the famed Italian auto maker Enzo Ferrari (1898-1988), 2.it concentrates its story into one year of the man's life...the year 1957 and which would be one of the more challenging years of his life, both personally and financially.

3.I felt this film drags a bit in spots,

My rating: 6.9/10

1. thank you for supporting your local theather
2. I'm being 100% honest: isn't there some story about FERRARI doing something to p!ss off some chicken farmers who went on to start LAMBOURGINI or am I misremembering details?
3. That's ironic. Maybe put it in third?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:11 pm
TikiSoo wrote: January 16th, 2024, 7:17 am We have been revisiting Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movies like Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz the past few weekends.
You know I'm not a big fan of modern movies, I tend to only make it 1/3 through most 21st century films at best, but I stumbled across SHAUN OF THE DEAD many years ago and was taken aback by how effective it was, I recall liking it in spite of not thinking that I would (same as when I saw the 2004(?) DAWN OF THE DEAD remake)
And I was rather partial to their extremely violent but funny spoof of action films, Hot Fuzz. Two people lose their heads, and the townspeople just say, "Oh, it was just an accident" . Yeah right.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

so, this is just ALL ROUND WEIRD but...

I was surfing AMAZON PRIME when an intriguing title and thumbnail caught my eye for Les Petits Meurtres d'Agatha Christie which purported to be a reimagining of CHRISTIE'S WORKS set in (GET THIS) France of the 1970s with a FRENCH CAST.

apparently it's a long running series with a changing collection of leads every so often (a la MIDSOMMER MURDERS.)

so gobsmacked was i by the premise that i decided to cast a looksie at five minutes of the first episode of the most current version of the show- which purported to be based on CHRISTIE'S late-career novel ENDLESS NIGHT, which I remember pretty well, although it's been a while since I read it.

I was in for further gobsmacking to discover that it was actually pretty charming and compelling and well-acted and quite often laugh-out-loud funny, and I was expecially beguiled by the LEAD ACTRESS who plays a FEMALE POLICE CAPTAIN and looks and acts JUST LIKE SIMONE SIGNORET.

the final gobsmacking came from the fact this this 90 minute telemovie with clever writing, likeable actors and costumes that I can only describe as CUTE AS %$%# had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT to suggest THAT IT HAD ANYTHING to do with AGATHA CHRISTIE'S NOVEL ENDLESS NIGHT.

but it was still fun.

weird though.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Lorna wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:16 pm
...I'm being 100% honest: isn't there some story about FERRARI doing something to p!ss off some chicken farmers who went on to start LAMBOURGINI or am I misremembering details?
Close here Lorna, but while the Lamborghini concern began operations in 1948 making tractors for farmers, they didn't begin manufacturing automobiles in order to compete against Ferrari in the high-end sports car market (and not in racing, btw) until 1963, and so with this being some 6 years after the story in this film unfolds.

This movie does however present the idea that Enzo's main competitor in both road car sales and in racing at this time (once again, 1957) were the cars made by the Maserati concern, a firm that actually predates Enzo's firm by a few decades.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: January 16th, 2024, 7:16 pm This movie does however present the idea that Enzo's main competitor in both road car sales and in racing at this time (once again, 1957) were the cars made by the Maserati concern, a firm that actually predates Enzo's firm by a few decades.
I love when experts watch movies - they always know the finer points of a story.

We all know facts sometimes have to be stretched to make a story flow & interesting to find out how successful the choices were.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (1974) My favorite WALTER MATTHAU film. Just great.

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THELMA AND LOUISE (1991) Another one I can't not watch.