OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 21st, 2023, 11:52 am
Hibi wrote: June 21st, 2023, 10:57 am Or when some MALE stars from the same era die. Nicholson; Pacino; Caine (who is British) etc....
Well Nicholson was in around 15 or more films pre-1969. Caine was in around 8, but did TV work starting in the 50s.

Pacino is a post-studio-era actor.
Will be interesting to see how they handle it. They pick and choose who they salute. Many old stars were ignored in the past.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Feinberg wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 3:55 am Hopefully, the rumours of its death are exaggerated but ...
Yesterday, I noticed an abundance of posts on twitter about the demise of TCM (as we know it). TCM exists in Britain as a station that shows old very cheap films with commercials and no guest commentary. It is really rubbish.
This morning I saw this post ...

Will McKinley
@willmckinley
·
11h
Pool your money, buy the @TCM brand, and re-launch it as a standalone streaming service w/ licensed classic films from all studios.
Quote Tweet
Square profile picture
IndieWire
@IndieWire
·
13h
Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, and Paul Thomas Anderson have organized an emergency call to Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav to express their disagreement with his decision to layoff the network's top staff https://trib.al/Mc4o7MU
Disgusting. But more of the same. WB has become the scourge of Hollywood
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I wonder how long the U.S. version has left with this guy as the head?
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Hibi wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 12:09 pm I wonder how long the U.S. version has left with this guy as the head?
TCM in Britain is appalling. Just grade D westerns and war films from the 50's and 60's that I've never heard of starring nobody you know and filled with commercials.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Sounds awful!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Feinberg wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 2:33 pm

TCM in Britain is appalling. Just grade D westerns and war films from the 50's and 60's.....
Oh, I dunno.

(...sounds like it could be pretty good IF ya might happen to be a big fan of Audie Murphy, anyway!)

;)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Hibi wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 12:09 pm I wonder how long the U.S. version has left with this guy as the head?
TCM in Britain is appalling. Just grade D westerns and war films from the 50's and 60's that I've never heard of starring nobody you know and filled with commercials.
I checked the schedule once a long time ago and it was Singing in the Rain multiple times PER WEEK (likely with commercials) along with a bunch of 70s films I can’t remember that you could easily find on budget cable channels here.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 12:01 am
I checked the schedule once a long time ago and it was Singing in the Rain multiple times PER WEEK (likely with commercials) along with a bunch of 70s films I can’t remember that you could easily find on budget cable channels here.
Hey, once again here, THIS doesn't sound all that bad.

(...I mean, I don't know about YOU, but I NEVER get tired of watchin' those "Moses Supposes" and "Make 'em Laugh" routines!) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

A giant of the musical theater has left us. Sheldon Harnick has died aged 99. One of the greatest lyricists of all time, his songs graced Fiddler on the Roof, Fiorello, Tenderloin, She Loves Me, and so many other great show.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, I just read about him this morning. Quite a long life!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Frederic Forrest, 1979 Oscar nominee for The Rose, has passed away at the age of 86. Other works included Apocalypse Now, One from the Heart, Hammett, The Conversation, The Missouri Breaks, Valley Girl, The Stone Boy, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, The Two Jakes, Music Box, and the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove. News of his death was first reported online by his co-star from The Rose, Bette Midler.

https://variety.com/2023/film/obituarie ... 235653788/
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 24th, 2023, 12:40 pm Frederic Forrest, 1979 Oscar nominee for The Rose, has passed away at the age of 86. Other works included Apocalypse Now, One from the Heart, Hammett, The Conversation, The Missouri Breaks, Valley Girl, The Stone Boy, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, The Two Jakes, Music Box, and the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove. News of his death was first reported online by his co-star from The Rose, Bette Midler.

Great character actor, but not so much as a leading one.

(...at least this always being my take on him, anyway)

R.I.P.
Last edited by Dargo on June 30th, 2023, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 24th, 2023, 12:40 pm Frederic Forrest, 1979 Oscar nominee for The Rose, has passed away at the age of 86. Other works included Apocalypse Now, One from the Heart, Hammett, The Conversation, The Missouri Breaks, Valley Girl, The Stone Boy, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, The Two Jakes, Music Box, and the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove. News of his death was first reported online by his co-star from The Rose, Bette Midler.

Sorry to hear this. I'd heard he'd been very ill for awhile. He never had the career he should have had.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Terrifically versatile actor. Great in both comedies and dramas.

In fact, whenever I'd think of an actor who could well express the pathos to be found in some of the more layered comedies made, Alan Arkin would be one of the first names to always come to mind.

R.I.P.
Last edited by Dargo on June 30th, 2023, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.