I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:36 pm
nakanosunplaza wrote: March 4th, 2024, 2:58 pm I have seen Bloodlines when it was released,not very good,apparently there is a very much longer version on the video release.
Yes. When one of the networks ran the film they ran the longer version. It didn't help. There was more footage of the "cousins" but not much added to the main plot (Audrey and Gazzara).
Did they have an affair?
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I just watched Bowen Yang's Truman Capote impression on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE's Weekend Update sketch.

I love Mr. Yang, but . . .
MY TRUMAN CAPOTE IMPRESSION IS BETTER!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

hope you don't mind my sharing this, but if any have have 20-some minutes to spare, I listened to this RADIO EPISODE OF "HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL" from 1958 and- SERIOUSLY- it's the funniest, most amusing, best-written thing I have come across in a long time.

click and give it a listen and stick with it- it just keeps getting funnier and funnier as it goes.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:37 pm
nakanosunplaza wrote: March 4th, 2024, 2:58 pm I have seen Bloodlines when it was released,not very good,apparently there is a very much longer version on the video release.
Yes. When one of the networks ran the film they ran the longer version. It didn't help. There was more footage of the "cousins" but not much added to the main plot (Audrey and Gazzara).
Did they have an affair?

YES. One of the reasons Audrey accepted the role in They All Laughed was to rekindle the affair, but by then Gazzara was involved with someone else. But it wasnt a total loss as Audrey met Robert Wolders during Laughed filming and that lasted. A much better deal!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:37 pm I just watched Bowen Yang's Truman Capote impression on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE's Weekend Update sketch.

"I hope he knows how to stop that thing."

(if you've seen MURDER BY DEATH, you'll get it.)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:41 pm

Did they have an affair?

YES. One of the reasons Audrey accepted the role in They All Laughed was to rekindle the affair, but by then Gazzara was involved with someone else. But it wasnt a total loss as Audrey met Robert Wolders during Laughed filming and that lasted. A much better deal!
THAT AUDREY! such a STEALTH HOE under THE GIVENCHY and I LOVE HER!!!!!
Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw The Last Metro years ago and don't recall much of the details. Depardieu is a pretty
disgusting dude, but that only adds to the fun of seeing Depardieu/Danton executed in Danton.
Doesn't Depardieu roughly translate to in the name of God? Whatever.

Hey, Suzanne Somers was on Match Game '77 today. In Match Game parlance she was out-boobed
by Patti Deutsch. Stuff happens.

I do a fair imitation of Tru. I have to get going for a few seconds to get my voice that high and then
I usually start out with the phrase "Well, Norman said".....and then it's on. The hardest part is figuring
out where and how many little laughs to put in.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:40 pm hope you don't mind my sharing this, but if any have have 20-some minutes to spare, I listened to this RADIO EPISODE OF "HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL" from 1958 and- SERIOUSLY- it's the funniest, most amusing, best-written thing I have come across in a long time.

click and give it a listen and stick with it- it just keeps getting funnier and funnier as it goes.

One of the few TV series to spawn a radio show - was usually the other way around. Parley Baer was in the cast of this episode; he was in a lot of radio shows in his time, including Gunsmoke, as Chester, (as was John Dehner), along with another Andy Griffith Show co-star-to-be, Howard McNear, who played Doc.

The opening theme was by none other than Bernard Hermann. It is the same one used for the TV series.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:42 pm
Hibi wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:41 pm

Did they have an affair?

THAT AUDREY! such a STEALTH HOE under THE GIVENCHY and I LOVE HER!!!!!
LOL! She kept her private life private!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:41 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:37 pm I just watched Bowen Yang's Truman Capote impression on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE's Weekend Update sketch.

That FEUD series is SO BORING! I've given up on it. Should've ended with the Masked Ball. And all those crappy scenes of stuff that never happened in real life. What a waste of time.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: March 4th, 2024, 5:25 pm
Lorna wrote: March 4th, 2024, 3:41 pm

That FEUD series is SO BORING! I've given up on it. Should've ended with the Masked Ball. And all those crappy scenes of stuff that never happened in real life. What a waste of time.
I'm sticking with it, as tough as it is for me. It's not as good as the first season. The "feud", such as it was, was essentially a falling out over the publication of Capote's book excerpt. Unlike the Davis/Crawford thing, there was no years/decades-long buildup of jealousy, rivalry and bitchiness that culminated in being awkwardly thrown together. In Capote's case, there was really no feud - he just got dropped by the ladies like a hot potato after the publishing incident, and ventured off into other avenues, mostly ones of self-destruction. The last episode was sort of interesting - he suddenly realizes he's no longer au courant.

The second season was supposed to be a Diana/Charles affair, but I suppose The Crown beat them to it. I don't remember reading why they dropped the royal divorce and opted for Truman Capote instead.

One thing, for me, is that a little of Truman goes a loooooong way. It's always been like that - even when I was a kid watching him on talk shows or his occasional forays into acting. Enduring an hour of Truman tries my patience.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, they've blown up this "feud" into some lifelong battle. Essentially the swans cut him out of their lives and went their merry way. In the series they make it out into some decades long drama. It would've made a good 2 part tv movie but stretched out for 8 (?) episodes it's ridiculous and repetitive.

For me a better Fued would've been Joan vs. Olivia (maybe after Olivia's lawsuit they are gunshy, even though Olivia is dead!) Or Vidal vs. Buckley.

Yes, that's another reasons I've had it. Sick of listening to Truman go on and on. The sound of his voice! (the actor is very good at capturing it!) I'm sure he was exhausting being around.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

namely a very casual treatment of rape
[Roman Polanski has entered the chat]

Speaking of reacting to movies because of the politics of the filmmakers, it made me think of another movie I watched recently: Accident (1967).

Dirk Bogarde plays a college professor who is advising a couple of students (Michael York and Generic European Ingenue) who get into the titular car crash at the entrance to Bogarde's driveway, killing York. The movie then goes into a flashback of how everybody got to this point.

I found it to be tedious arthouse crap, long on conversation, with the exception of a bizarre scene of a "hold the sausage" type game at a formal party that frankly didn't make any sense to the plot. But Ben Mankiewicz, in both his intro and outro, insisted on informing us, "Blacklisted director!!!!!!" as though this somehow automatically made the movie great and immune to criticism. (Note that I'm not saying the political views of anyone involved in the production have anything to do with why Accident is a mess.)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Andree wrote: March 4th, 2024, 5:12 pm
I do a fair imitation of Tru. I have to get going for a few seconds to get my voice that high and then
I usually start out with the phrase "Well, Norman said".....and then it's on. The hardest part is figuring
out where and how many little laughs to put in.
My entry into Truman Capote's voice is Lady Macbeth's speech that begins "Glamis thou art."

To my knowledge he never performed that speech, but my rendition of "Truman Capote as Lady Macbeth" is the stuff of legend.

My favorite part:
Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
Of direst cruelty!
Andree

Post by Andree »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 4th, 2024, 8:44 pm
My entry into Truman Capote's voice is Lady Macbeth's speech that begins "Glamis thou art."

To my knowledge he never performed that speech, but my rendition of "Truman Capote as Lady Macbeth" is the stuff of legend.

My favorite part:
Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
Of direst cruelty!
Yes, the notion of Truman disclaiming Shakespeare in his unique voice certainly has some
grand comic possibilities.

Othello
The tyrant custom, most grave senators,
Hath made the flinty and steel couch of war
My thrice-driven bed of down. I do agnize
A natural and prompt alacrity
I find in hardness; and do undertake
This present war against the Ottomites.

When it comes to impressions, it's hard to beat David Sedaris' take
on Billie Holiday singing I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner song.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky