WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I took my Mum and Dad to watch The King's Speech today, it was Mum's birthday, she thinks Colin Firth is a dish, he's the only actor we both agree on in terms of looks and acting abililty. Colin Firth has played plenty of upper class Englishmen, usually a bit staid with hidden depths that usually are eventually found by his love interest and he's perfect in these parts. I haven't watched A Single Man yet but settled down in anticipation of watching Colin Firth play a man he looks nothing like, a man who is held in very high esteem by my parents generation, held in such esteem because he took on the role of King which was suddenly thrust upon and despite not having the outgoing charm of his older brother, diligently and dutifully fulfilled the role that had been thrust on him. My Grandma used to talk of the old King in the most reverent terms and of his war time speeches that meant so much to a country in time of war. I'm no slouch when it comes to Royal history, I wanted it to be as accurate as it could be and allow only the smallest hint of poetic licence to make the story flow. I haven't a criticism to make in terms of plot. There are some surprise castings like Guy Pearce as the Prince of Wales although he's sufficiently good actor for his nationality not to matter. I wasn't keen on Timothy Spall as Churchill, Michael Gambon so looked like George V, Helena Bonham Carter superb as Queen Elizabeth, Geoffrey Rush spot on as Logue and Colin Firth an absolute revelation as George VI. The drama really stirred the emotions and the story trod the very fine line of being able to impart to those not knowledgeable about royalty enough knowledge without being too simplisitc for those well up on Royal history. Colin Firth surely should get the Oscar this time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but the greatest thing about this film is that George VI story is being brought to the world. He might have felt he was a flawed individual, not up to his brother David's brilliance but he was a brave and dutiful individual who didn't shirk his duty, even though it terrified him. The story of who he was and what he did for the country has made one of the best films of our times. I for one hold wonder if HRH ever did say all those horrible swear words out loud and roll about the floor like a child.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes indeed Wendy, It's a very special film and totally engrossing. The kids are really fantastic...the expression on their faces.... their bond....they conveyed so much...amazingly well done. The actress that played their mother seemed so familiar...I knew I had seen her before & checking the credits I realized she played Cleopatra in HBO's hit Miniseries "Rome". BTW, the Swiss doctor that Cécile de France (Marie) contacts in the film, is played by Marthe Keller, a Swiss actress noted for her beauty in the 1960s and 1970s.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Feaito - I liked Marte Keller the best, actually. I really enjoyed her character and wished she had more of a role.

CCFan - I found TKS to be so incredibly moving, knowing a bit about the history of that time - my mother read everything she could about British history and so I would suck up crumbs of it from her books which were always available, on the coffee table or bookshelf. She always found the Wallis Simpson/Edward VIII/GeorgeVI story to be fascinating, and to top it all off, she was a speech therapist.

I have to admit it shocked me when he swore, but I guess I can forgive that since it did make a point. And I'm with your mum and you, Colin Firth is a dish, as well as being a great actor :D .
charliechaplinfan

I'm glad to see it's been nominated for so many Oscars. I really hope Colin Firth gets one and if possible Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter. Heck, I hope it gets all 12, so much did I enjoy it.

Watching films from the second world war period always makes me wonder if that great spirit that united our countries seventy odd years ago would return if we were ever in similar circumstances. I like to think it would.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think it would too. I hope we never have to find out though. :)

I remember my mother told me how hard it is for an actor to perfect a stammer - she had to act the part of a stammerer for her college thesis - go out on the street and see how people react to you when you stammer or stutter. She did this incredible version, she had all the mannerisms down! Incredible for a woman who never acted in a high school play or was on stage. When we were watching I, Claudius, she told me that many times a stutterer would create more tics and mannerisms trying to get the words out. One time, turning your head might work. Another time, closing your eyes seemed to help. Of course, the head turn or squint probably didn't work after the first couple of times, but by then, it would be incorporated into the stutterer's habits, making him feel even more isolated or different, and drawing more attention. It could cause people to think maybe he was challenged, as in Claudius' case.

And speaking of I, Claudius, I enjoyed very much seeing Derek Jacobi in The King's Speech, even if he wasn't very sympathetic.
charliechaplinfan

A very unsympathetic character, I wonder if the Archbishop of Cantebury at the time was like that or whether it suited the dramatists to consolidate a few people into the role of the Archbishop. The politicians didn't talk down to him, not like his own family, I think the politicians recognsed the bravery and loyalty of George VI before he realised it himself. I wonder if the Queen has seen it and what she thinks about the portrayal of her parents.

I watched two 1940s films today. Desperate an early Anthony Mann film noir was pleasant enough with Raymond Burr in the role of baddie. I've not yet seen any of Mann's westerns. I can't say I've taken to him as a director, he doesn't stand out. I've probably not seen the right films.

The second film was Manpower starring Edward G Robinson in a sympathetic role with George Raft and Marlene Dietrich in support, for me Dietrich stole every scene and the scenes she didn't steal were the ones a top the power pylons.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll go along with that! I love Dietrich in Manpower!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Christopher Hitchens blasts The King's Speech for its falsification of history.

I guess he hasn't seen too many historical or biographical films. They ALL falsify history! ;)

http://www.slate.com/id/2282194/
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:I love Dietrich in Manpower!
So did Bugsy Siegel, as a frequent sound-stage guest of Raft's; thankfully, Marlene was an expert in dodging rats, whether they wore jackboots or silk ties. :?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to go along with Charlie Chaplin Fan about The King's Speech. I haven't seen it yet but have been waiting for it ever since I knew Colin Firth was involved in it. He is so great in everything he does, from Bridget Jones boyfriend, to the Dad in Love, Actually and Nanny McPhee where he showed off more of his comedy traits, and of course Mr. Darcy. He's one of the few English actors who have come along who looks like an actor - big, robust, tanned, quite scrumptious.

As for a little pumping up of true events, let's face it, very few events actually turn out as exciting as we imagine in our dreams. This past Sunday was a good illustration. All the hoop de doo, and then the big let down which lasts for at least a week. The football season is over for me, except maybe the pro bowl, but truly, although I haven't seen The King's Speech, I'm sure they had to add some arguments, or heartfelt speeches to make the story more compelling, and that's okay, as long as they stick to the fiber of the story which is the Kings difficulty in public speaking, let alone speaking in general to friends and family. Especially since he is now a king when he never thought he would be.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

She didn't dodge Raft himself though I seem to remember. I wish I had Marlene's energy.

I was pleasantly surprised today, I watched Plein Soliel not realising that it was the predecessor of The Talented Mr Ripley with Alain Delon playing Tom Ripley. I liked The Talented Mr Ripley but I preferred Plein Soliel, it didn't dawn on me until well into the film that it had been remade, the first bit keeps you guessing, I wasn't quite sure about Tom and his friend Phillipe, it seemed a strange friendship and when Tom was imitating Phillipe I wondered where the script was going. Unlike Matt Damon I was rooting for Delon's Tom Ripley wanting him to get away with it, Phillippe was cruel both to Tom and to Marge and Phillipe's friend isn't nice to Tom either. A good ending, I didn't see it coming.
charliechaplinfan

I quite like looking at Alain Delon (which female wouldn't?) although I do find him a pretty face, a good actor, I have a penchant for French actors but I still prefer Charles Boyer and Jean Gabin. However I did get aorund to seeing The Swimming Pool starring Delon and Romy Schneider, at first it felt like it had been developed only for the sixties audience who liked to be titiliated by pawings of nearly naked stars but thankfully soon developed into a good plot revolving around a threesome and a daughter, only the ending seemed a little confused. Delon as always was stunning, he seems to absorb a character rather than act it, perhaps that's a credit to his skill, Romy Schneider very good, Jane Birkin also, well directed. An enjoyable 2 hours, I think I'll watch some more Delon before I give more of an opinion about him as an actor, I'm never going to find him hard to watch somehow.

Purple Noon seemed to have more substance than Mr Ripley, it's a while since I've seen Ripley, MAtt Damon I remember as being fine but Jude Law was weak. I didn't realise Mr Ripley was based on an earlier film, I thought it was an an original idea. I enjoyed Plain Soliel more than the original so I can only think that Plein Soliel is head and shoulders above the original.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Last night I watched the Claude Chabrol film "Le Ceremonie." It is based on the Ruth Rendell novel "A Judgment in Stone."

I was very impressed. This is one powerful film, building up small details until the explosion of violence at the end. Isabella Huppert is terrific as the bitterly resentful postmistress who causes the violence. Jacqueline Bisset is fine too as one of the victims. This is a very powerful film. (From 1995.)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Mike, I saw Chabrol's film many years ago and I also found it powerful and completely disturbing. A great work. Isabelle Huppert is one of the best actresses of contemporary French Cinema.