SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
jamesjazzguitar

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:00 pm End of story is right, especially for the Bengals. I have a name for that kind of strategy. The Kamikaze Factor. If you don't think there is a chance to win (when there is), get it all over with and do something stupid. Yeah, take a chance, percentage wise you will lose quicker and sacrifice any chance to win.

Seriously, real coaches like Andy Reid or Bill Belichick wouldn't ever consider such a move. It's the newbie coaches and newbie strategies that are coming in now, eschewing the wisdom of yesteryear in favor of a cockamamie go for it mentality. The NFL is rapidly becoming an out-of-control bush league.
Take this up with Zac Taylor. It is him that you are denigrating, calling stupid, and implying isn't a real coach. All I did was say that I understood why Taylor made the choice he made and that it wasn't as out-there as you keep implying. Oh, and here are some facts about Taylor. I guess you believe you know more about being a coach and making decision than he.

Zachary William Taylor[1] (born May 10, 1983) is an American football coach who is the head coach for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL). Beginning his NFL career as an offensive assistant, he was the quarterbacks coach for the Los Angeles Rams when they made a Super Bowl appearance in Super Bowl LIII. Taylor was named Cincinnati's head coach the following season in 2019, where he went 6–25–1 in his first two years. In 2021, he led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en route to an appearance in Super Bowl LVI. He followed this up with 12 wins and a trip to the Conference championship game in 2022. In his time with the Bengals, Taylor has won 5 postseason games, the same amount won by the team in their entire history prior to hiring him as their head coach.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:26 pm
laffite wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:00 pm End of story is right, especially for the Bengals. I have a name for that kind of strategy. The Kamikaze Factor. If you don't think there is a chance to win (when there is), get it all over with and do something stupid. Yeah, take a chance, percentage wise you will lose quicker and sacrifice any chance to win.

Seriously, real coaches like Andy Reid or Bill Belichick wouldn't ever consider such a move. It's the newbie coaches and newbie strategies that are coming in now, eschewing the wisdom of yesteryear in favor of a cockamamie go for it mentality. The NFL is rapidly becoming an out-of-control bush league.
Take this up with Zac Taylor. It is him that you are denigrating, calling stupid, and implying isn't a real coach. All I did was say that I understood why Taylor made the choice he made and that it wasn't as out-there as you keep implying. Oh, and here are some facts about Taylor. I guess you believe you know more about being a coach and making decision than he.

Zachary William Taylor[1] (born May 10, 1983) is an American football coach who is the head coach for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL). Beginning his NFL career as an offensive assistant, he was the quarterbacks coach for the Los Angeles Rams when they made a Super Bowl appearance in Super Bowl LIII. Taylor was named Cincinnati's head coach the following season in 2019, where he went 6–25–1 in his first two years. In 2021, he led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en route to an appearance in Super Bowl LVI. He followed this up with 12 wins and a trip to the Conference championship game in 2022. In his time with the Bengals, Taylor has won 5 postseason games, the same amount won by the team in their entire history prior to hiring him as their head coach.
The he should have know better. Maybe he is having an onset of dementia.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Say! Was that one hell of a Monday Night Football game this evening?!!!

(...once Rodgers went down, I wouldn't have given the Jets a chance in hell to win it)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: September 11th, 2023, 10:54 pm Say! Was that one hell of a Monday Night Football game this evening?!!!

(...once Rodgers went down, I wouldn't have given the Jets a chance in hell to win it)
The Jets were going to put Rogers on waivers after believing that they could win without him. But after learning that they got lucky on that missed call that would have prevented the winning touchdown they decided they'd better keep him.. And they cancelled the call to Joe Namath. They were going to offer him a contract thinking that even at his age he could do better than the three tortuously miserable snaps that Rogers succumbed to. I think his ankle is just fine, he just needed a siesta. And woe to Buffalo. Well, at least they can say they got cheated. :P
The Shining Hour (1938)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: September 12th, 2023, 3:31 am I find the the spin on Rogers sort of fascinating. All the talking heads, who last year seemed to talk down at Rogers, this year he is the greatest QB ever born and NY can’t possibly live without him. How could they, he is so great and knows everything there is to know about football, life, and personal hygiene.
Greatest thing since sliced Tom Brady..
jamesjazzguitar

txfilmfan wrote: September 12th, 2023, 8:28 am
Thompson wrote: September 12th, 2023, 3:31 am I find the the spin on Rogers sort of fascinating. All the talking heads, who last year seemed to talk down at Rogers, this year he is the greatest QB ever born and NY can’t possibly live without him. How could they, he is so great and knows everything there is to know about football, life, and personal hygiene.
Greatest thing since sliced Tom Brady..
Well said and very funny! Yea, what happened looks like it was scripted for a made for T.V. movie. As the NBA figured out in the late 70s with Magic and Bird, team sports are still mostly a star player driven sales pitch. While players like Rogers are just one of over hundreds, the media will end up giving him 20% of the coverage.
laffite

Post by laffite »

And now we know that Rogers is OUT FOR THE SEASON!
The Shining Hour (1938)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

What I liked about this whole thing was how after the game the VERY talented Josh Allen admitted that it was HIS fault for the Bills' loss.

Yep, his performance last night reminded me of a Broncos game I watched years ago and when another VERY talented young QB with a great arm first came into the league.

His name: John Elway. Yep, I'll never forget that game in which it appeared because he knew he possessed that great arm, he thought he could rifle his passes to his receivers who were being double AND in some cases even TRIPLE covered.

Nope, it didn't work out so well for HIM that day EITHER!

(...I think he had somethin' like four or five interceptions that day in fact and as I recall)
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: September 12th, 2023, 6:47 pm What I liked about this whole thing was how after the game the VERY talented Josh Allen admitted that it was HIS fault for the Bills' loss.

Yep, his performance last night reminded me of a Broncos game I watched years ago and when another VERY talented young QB with a great arm first came into the league.

His name: John Elway. Yep, I'll never forget that game in which it appeared because he knew he possessed that great arm, he thought he could rifle his passes to his receivers who were being double AND in some cases even TRIPLE covered.

Nope, it didn't work out so well for HIM that day EITHER!

(...I think he had somethin' like four or five interceptions that day in fact and as I recall)
Yea, Josh Allen is a classy individual. Note that this first week of pro-football, is going to change how teams approach the pre-season, where many (most now?) coaches were not playing their starters. It was clear that simple things were just not in sync. What if funny is that Ram's coach McVay was one of the first to not play his starters, but the Rams played really well in game #1. My guess is that is because the Rams have so many new players and rookies and many of these guys did play pre-season games.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 12th, 2023, 7:21 pm
Yea, Josh Allen is a classy individual. Note that this first week of pro-football, is going to change how teams approach the pre-season, where many (most now?) coaches were not playing their starters. It was clear that simple things were just not in sync. What if funny is that Ram's coach McVay was one of the first to not play his starters, but the Rams played really well in game #1. My guess is that is because the Rams have so many new players and rookies and many of these guys did play pre-season games.
Yeah, Stafford was pretty much right on target and proficient for the most part yesterday. Like old times. Actually, I was very surprised the Rams as a team played as well as they did.

However, the way the 49ers beat up on the Steelers and as well as the now healed-up Purdy played, it still looks like they're the class of the NFC West and maybe the entire conference.

(...but of course, it's still way too early in the season to really tell such things)
Last edited by Dargo on September 13th, 2023, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:01 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 12th, 2023, 7:21 pm
Yeah, Stafford was pretty much right on target and proficient for the most part yesterday. Like old times. Actually, I was very surprised the Rams as a team played as well as they did.

However, the way the 49ers beat up on the Steelers and as well as the now heeled-up Purdy played, it still looks like they're the class of the NFC West and maybe the entire conference.

(...but of course, it's still way too early in the season to really tell such things)
Yea, that 49ers team is very well balanced, like the Eagles, and these two teams are the best in the NFC. Dallas looked great but they often do and melt down as the season goes on. If Purdy continues to play within the run-based 49ers' system (which in most cases doesn't require Purdy to say the day in the 4th quarter), the 49 should make it to the NFC Championship game.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: September 14th, 2023, 10:08 pm Corey Seager is the best player in baseball.
Was listening to a sports radio station here in DFW and they were just saying how he gets no MVP discussion outside the DFW area...
jamesjazzguitar

Thompson wrote: September 14th, 2023, 10:08 pm Corey Seager is the best player in baseball.
Current Dodger Mookie Betts is the best player in baseball. Former Dodger Seager is in top 5.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 15th, 2023, 10:04 am
Current Dodger Mookie Betts is the best player in baseball. Former Dodger Seager is in top 5.
I'd agree with you about Mookie here James, however isn't it interesting how both Seager's and Cody Bellinger's play has so greatly improved since the Dodgers traded them away?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: September 15th, 2023, 10:18 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 15th, 2023, 10:04 am
I'd agree with you about Mookie here James, however isn't it interesting how both Seager's and Cody Bellinger's play has so greatly improved since the Dodgers traded them away?
The probably feel freer away from Roberts. And Pederson too, didn't he excel as well?
The Shining Hour (1938)