Re: First Film that comes to mind...

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 27th, 2022, 7:55 pm
Dargo wrote: December 27th, 2022, 7:39 pm Next up: a bridge
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Next:

"Sixteen."

"We all come out like it's Halloween."
With respect E.P., what kind of clue is this? Forgive me, one of my more devastating pet peeves :tickedoff: in all the galaxy is the habit of some to treat this thread as if it were a trivia thread. What 'comes to mind' is associative. If one trying to answer the prompt finds oneself thinking too much because the prompt seems to looking for a specific movie, then the integrity of the thread is thwarted. Long wait times when this happens. Sometime I am bad and in a case like the above simply think of any Halloween movie but this also fraught. Ideally the prompt will be general enough to avoid this. Same with the 'come to mind' with the actor/actress thread.

"We all can post what we want" and "it's only a thread, what's the problem?" But this a pet peeve and such remonstrances do not apply. :roll: Pet Peevers have a tacit carte blanche to air their torment (at least in the world according to Laffite). But since I am good person, I will respectfully ask your (everyone's) indulgence. If this problem continues with me I will see my analyst if I still have one. He fired me because I am too anal retentive. Who me? :smiley_innocent:

[ducking for cover]

:smiley_snoopy: You're carping about this again? Good Grief!
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

laffite wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:56 pm
With respect E.P., what kind of clue is this? Forgive me, one of my more devastating pet peeves :tickedoff: in all the galaxy is the habit of some to treat this thread as if it were a trivia thread. What 'comes to mind' is associative. If one trying to answer the prompt finds oneself thinking too much because the prompt seems to looking for a specific movie, then the integrity of the thread is thwarted. Long wait times when this happens. Sometime I am bad and in a case like the above simply think of any Halloween movie but this also fraught. Ideally the prompt will be general enough to avoid this. Same with the 'come to mind' with the actor/actress thread.
This is the reason I gave the seemingly incongruous answer of Jesus Christ Superstar above. I was recalling your old commentary about how these "first thing" threads should be more generalized and less of a trivia exercise.
Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:56 pm

Next:

"Sixteen."

"We all can post what we want" and "it's only a thread, what's the problem?" But this a pet peeve and such remonstrances do not apply. :roll: Pet Peevers have a tacit carte blanche to air their torment (at least in the world according to Laffite). But since I am good person, I will respectfully ask your (everyone's) indulgence. If this problem continues with me I will see my analyst if I still have one. He fired me because I am too anal retentive. Who me? :smiley_innocent:

[ducking for cover]

:smiley_snoopy: You're carping about this again? Good Grief!
Holy mackerel. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: December 28th, 2022, 11:07 pm
This is the reason I gave the seemingly incongruous answer of Jesus Christ Superstar above. I was recalling your old commentary about how these "first thing" threads should be more generalized and less of a trivia exercise.
Thank you. It drives me nuts. Sometimes relatively trivial matters can be treated "seriously" in times like this. :D Why do people do it? It misses the point. I do not advocate the demise of anyone who does this haha, but I love the thread and it is a powerful irritant. Ah, it is noble to stand up for the truth. :director:

:smiley_snoopy: It's been whispered about that you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Who me? :smiley_innocent:
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Next:

"Sixteen."

okay.........after "googling" came up with a THE DIRTY DOZEN quote

But HAVE to agree with 'laffite' on this being TOO specific
:smiley_huh:

NEXT: computer programming
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Masha

Post by Masha »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:42 am okay.........after "googling" came up with a THE DIRTY DOZEN quote

NEXT: computer programming
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Next: character watches a movie
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Next: character watches a movie
[/quote]

Targets (1968(

Next- brilliant editing
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

[quote="Detective Jim McLeod"

Next- brilliant editing

The French Connection

Next : One of your favorite screwball comedies
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:56 pm With respect E.P., what kind of clue is this? Forgive me, one of my more devastating pet peeves :tickedoff: in all the galaxy is the habit of some to treat this thread as if it were a trivia thread . . .
LawrenceA wrote: December 28th, 2022, 11:07 pm This is the reason I gave the seemingly incongruous answer of Jesus Christ Superstar above. I was recalling your old commentary about how these "first thing" threads should be more generalized and less of a trivia exercise.
ziggy6708a wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:42 am . . . But HAVE to agree with 'laffite' on this being TOO specific
Whatever.
KayFrancis wrote: December 29th, 2022, 12:20 pm Next : One of your favorite screwball comedies
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Next: Air
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

EP Millstone wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:07 pm
laffite wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:56 pm With respect E.P., what kind of clue is this? Forgive me, one of my more devastating pet peeves :tickedoff: in all the galaxy is the habit of some to treat this thread as if it were a trivia thread . . .
LawrenceA wrote: December 28th, 2022, 11:07 pm This is the reason I gave the seemingly incongruous answer of Jesus Christ Superstar above. I was recalling your old commentary about how these "first thing" threads should be more generalized and less of a trivia exercise.
ziggy6708a wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:42 am . . . But HAVE to agree with 'laffite' on this being TOO specific
Whatever.
KayFrancis wrote: December 29th, 2022, 12:20 pm Next : One of your favorite screwball comedies
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Next: Air
Breathless

Next - One of your favorite screwball comedies from the 1930's or 1940's
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

KayFrancis wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:51 pm
My Favorite Wife

Next up: they got in over their heads
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Dargo wrote: December 29th, 2022, 6:29 pm
KayFrancis wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:51 pm
My Favorite Wife

Next up: they got in over their heads
The Asphalt Jungle

Next - moving from the city to the suburbs
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

KayFrancis wrote: December 29th, 2022, 6:45 pm
The Asphalt Jungle

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Next up: culture shock
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Dargo wrote: December 29th, 2022, 6:52 pm
KayFrancis wrote: December 29th, 2022, 6:45 pm
The Asphalt Jungle

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Next up: culture shock
The Egg and I

Next : favorite James Bond film
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

KayFrancis wrote: December 29th, 2022, 7:11 pm
The Egg and I

Next : favorite James Bond film
From Russia with Love (Goldfinger, being a very close second)

Next up: twist ending