WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Post by feaito »

I finished watching an amiable little known comedy titled "The Luck of the Irish". I feel this one of those films ideal for a rainy afternoon, although right now we're entering the summer season here in Chile :?

This cute little film stars Tyrone Power as a newspaperman torn between his need for more stability and money (in NY city, where else?) and his true feelings and ideals. He fights hard against the latter, but a mischievous leprechaun he met and befriends during a trip to Ireland (deliciously played by dear Cecil Kellaway, one of the finest character actors, ever present in my favorite films) tries to help him make the right decisions. Anne Baxter is the beautiful Irish girl who falls for him and Jayne Meadows is the attractive, sophisticated, rich socialite who tries to make him fall under her charms and to lead the life she's planned for him. Lee J. Cobb plays Meadow's father, the skilled businessman who employs Power to aid him in his senatorial campaign.

A pleasant discovery which demonstrates Power's flair for comedy.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Feaito:

I wrote about this one a few weeks ago also. I agree it's not a great movie, nor even one of the better ones, but it is a good one for a wet and rainy afternoon, or a boring evening when you're out of things to watch.

Cecil is wonderful as the troublesome yet endearing imp and Tyrone is quite swoonable. This is the kind of simple little movie I would like to see more of in today's market instead of all the MOST EXCITING, BIGGEST CAST, and BEST OF 2007, which is mostly what we're offered.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree completely Anne. Great minds think alike :wink:

Hooray for the little-known, endearing films like this one.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I watched "The Senator was Indiscreet" (1947) an amusing political satire which stars William Powell that got me giggling most of the time. Ella Raines, Ray Collins, Peter Lind Hayes and Arleen Whelan are all good in supporting roles. It's the only film that was ever directed by famous playwright George S. Kaufman. There's an unexpected cameo at the film's conclusion.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:I finished watching an amiable little known comedy titled "The Luck of the Irish". I feel this one of those films ideal for a rainy afternoon, although right now we're entering the summer season here in Chile :?

A pleasant discovery which demonstrates Power's flair for comedy.
I quite agree, I am captivated by this pleasant little gem and keep meaning to record it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:Yesterday I watched "The Senator was Indiscreet" (1947) an amusing political satire which stars William Powell that got me giggling most of the time. Ella Raines, Ray Collins, Peter Lind Hayes and Arleen Whelan are all good in supporting roles. It's the only film that was ever directed by famous playwright George S. Kaufman. There's an unexpected cameo at the film's conclusion.
Yet another movie that never gets played here in the States or is readily available on video. I saw it once when I was just a kid and while I wasn't overwhelmed I would like to visit it again.

Have you seen Mr Peabody and the Mermaid? Now that is a real gem from Powell's later career.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

There are so many really nice genre films that don't get shown any more, I suppose because the broadcasters are afraid of offending or being accused of being exclusionary.

The Luck of the Irish was shown on TV in NYC every St. Pat's Day when I was a wee lass, along with many other Irish-themed movies. And there were plenty of others about lots of other groups in various categories. I never saw them as propaganda - most were much too gentle -- they were entertainment, pure and simple, and maybe you learned a thing or two about some people you might not ordinarily meet.

Really - how many movies do you think there are with the world "Brooklyn" in the title? A whole lot, believe me. And why don't they show them any more, at least on one of our local Brooklyn cable channels? There's a whole generation out there who are missing the charms of Thelma Ritter, William Bendix and Jimmy Durante (the two gentlemen, though New Yorkers, were not born in Brooklyn, but they were in a lot of the Brooklyn-themed movies).
melwalton

Senator was Indiscreet

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Feaito. I saw 'The Senator Was Indiscreet ' back in the forties and liked it very much. I don't recall much about it. I remember William Powell played a dim witted politician whe kept a diary and wanted to be President. His political group laughed at him; one, maybe Collins, said the diary made Powell 'America's oldest high school girl' and everyone laughed until they realized that Powell had named names and incidences in the diary that would have made it a blatant expose if published. I recall that it was very funny ...... mel
melwalton

Powell

Post by melwalton »

Miss G ,,,,, Judith.
Another forgotten William Powell movie that I liked and would like to see again is 'Take One False Step'. I think Powell was a very underrated actor who seems to be remembered mainly as a detective. .... mel
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:
feaito wrote:Yesterday I watched "The Senator was Indiscreet" (1947) an amusing political satire which stars William Powell that got me giggling most of the time. Ella Raines, Ray Collins, Peter Lind Hayes and Arleen Whelan are all good in supporting roles. It's the only film that was ever directed by famous playwright George S. Kaufman. There's an unexpected cameo at the film's conclusion.
Yet another movie that never gets played here in the States or is readily available on video. I saw it once when I was just a kid and while I wasn't overwhelmed I would like to visit it again.

Have you seen Mr Peabody and the Mermaid? Now that is a real gem from Powell's later career.
It's so strange that we're getting many American films via an American premium cable TV Channel aimed at the Spanish speaking market, which aren't broadcast in the States for the American Public. :?

I haven't seen "Mr Peabody..." April.
feaito

Re: Senator was Indiscreet

Post by feaito »

melwalton wrote:Hi, Feaito. I saw 'The Senator Was Indiscreet ' back in the forties and liked it very much. I don't recall much about it. I remember William Powell played a dim witted politician whe kept a diary and wanted to be President. His political group laughed at him; one, maybe Collins, said the diary made Powell 'America's oldest high school girl' and everyone laughed until they realized that Powell had named names and incidences in the diary that would have made it a blatant expose if published. I recall that it was very funny ...... mel
You are right on your remembrances Mel. It's indeed a funny film.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Feo, I think you would be enchanted with Mr Peabody and the Mermaid, it's very poignant and funny.

I may have to make a visit to South America just to record some of my favorite, never seen movies! :P
MissGoddess

Re: Powell

Post by MissGoddess »

melwalton wrote:Miss G ,,,,, Judith.
Another forgotten William Powell movie that I liked and would like to see again is 'Take One False Step'. I think Powell was a very underrated actor who seems to be remembered mainly as a detective. .... mel
Hi Mel!

That sounds like one I've never seen. I think Bill Powell was one of the best actors in the world, period. He's in my top five favorites. I hope TCM will play that movie. I've never been disappointed by a performance of his---even if the movie was only fair, he was always, always excellent.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:Feo, I think you would be enchanted with Mr Peabody and the Mermaid, it's very poignant and funny.

I may have to make a visit to South America just to record some of my favorite, never seen movies! :P
It would be nice to meet you here in Santiago April :D We could watch a couple of films on Cinecanalclassics

BTW, you've made my day April :D ...."Feo" means ugly in Spanish.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:
MissGoddess wrote:Feo, I think you would be enchanted with Mr Peabody and the Mermaid, it's very poignant and funny.

It would be nice to meet you here in Santiago April :D We could watch a couple of films on Cinecanalclassics

BTW, you've made my day April :D ...."Feo" means ugly in Spanish.
I know! Spanish is the first language of the 5 year old little boy I babysit and he loves to call everyone "feo", especially girls ("fea"). :lol: