*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by JackFavell »

OH. I guess that's what happened.

I agree, Lynn. I do want to smack him. She looks like a little girl, smitten with him.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:OH. I guess that's what happened.

I agree, Lynn. I do want to smack him. She looks like a little girl, smitten with him.
Well, there are two sides to this and every story. Taylor, who went on to an apparently happy marriage with Ursula Theiss and their children may have had his reasons for leaving the marriage. He is reported by various sources to have grown weary, after WWII, of a sometimes rather rigid life at the ranch where he and Stanwyck lived. He was younger than the actress and, prior to his marriage, lived with his widowed mother, so the experience of being on his own in the Army Air Corps without the constant hovering he'd received as a contractee at MGM, a good son, and an obedient husband may have been a bit heady for him. One item I've read claimed that he once mentioned to a friend after returning to Hollywood that the happiest time of his life had been during the war when he'd felt a greater sense of purpose and independence.

Also, being in Europe for a long period during the shooting of Quo Vadis and Ivanhoe separated him from Barbara Stanwyck for a long time, and he was a movie star, so you know he had opportunities to play offered to him. Heck, there were probably reasons on both sides for the divorce, no?

Btw, there is a fairly terrible bio of Robert Taylor by Jane E. Wayne. I'm hoping that a forthcoming bio by our former guest star, Charles Tranberg evaluates his life a bit more objectively.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote: Also, being in Europe for a long period during the shooting of Quo Vadis and Ivanhoe separated him from Barbara Stanwyck for a long time, and he was a movie star, so you know he had opportunities to play offered to him.

No disrespect intended Our Most Delectable Babs, but given the comeliness of his lady co-stars in Ivanhoe, & QV, ol' Spangler would've had to have been a Jesuit monk not to have at least considered some extracurricular activities.
And no doubt, given his looks, they weren't exactly looking away while he was looking back; purportedly, even rollicking ol' Hope Emerson gave his tush a pat or two, years later, during the Westward the Women shoot!
{Don't know why, but that tattle just makes me grin!}
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wendy, he went off to Europe to make a movie, met an actress (not a very good one) name Theissen, and dumped Barbara. WHAT AN IDIOT. Never have cared for him since I heard that. I like some of the movies he was in, Westward the Women, Ivanhoe, etc, but he became, to me, a slimeball....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks everyone. Sorry to interrupt the thread, but for years I've wondered what happened.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, Lynn. I guess the temptation was too hard to resist with co-stars such as Lana Turner and Ava Gardner.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Doris Day hangin' in there on the set of "Love Me or Leave Me"
Joseph Goodheart
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Great pics of BS and RT, so romantic. And love those boots!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 18th. BIRTHDAYS

MARY URE (1933 - 1975)

JACK PALANCE (1919 - 2006)

PHYLLIS CALVERT (1915 - 2002)

BILLY De WOLFE (1907 - 1974)

QUEENIE LEONARD (1905 - 2002)

HUGO HAAS (1901 - 1968)

REGINALD SHEFFIELD (1901 - 1957)

ADOLPHE MENJOU (1890 - 1963)

EDWARD ARNOLD (1890 - 1956)
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I recently read the Axel Madsen on Barbara Stanwyck, after a bit of research this book seemed to be the one to go for. It wasn't perfect, he didn't present Barbara in a very human light. Somewhere after Frank Fay she seemed to lose interest in men. She has lost a love a year before Frank Fay, the Taylor marriage is presented in a way that is very favorable to RT. Madsen made it seem almost a convenience for Barbara and not a love match, it's difficult to tell if RT loved Barbara. I think what Moira said is probably as accurate as we're going to get. He did have affairs but the reason put forward was that she was controlling. I'd like to think there was love there.

Thanks for telling me to avoid the Ellen Wayne book Moira, one of the books I looked at when looking for a book on Barbara was by her, a quick look on Amazon and read of the first couple of pages were enough to put me off. I'll wait for the new book on RT.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Errol Flynn perhaps a bit late with that book
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

KATHRYN GRAYSON (1922 - 2010) RIP

In a 1988 interview Grayson remarked that she had given up writing her memoirs because it wouldn't be the "kiss and tell" kind the publishers wanted.
"I'm a Pollyanna," she confessed. "I had to stop writing because I love everybody and I was saying everyone was beautiful. I just happen to think people are pretty wonderful."
What a gal!
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 19th. BIRTHDAYS

RON FOSTER is 80 today

JOHN FRANKENHEIMER (1930 - 2002)

LEE MARVIN (1924 - 1987)

ANN SAVAGE (1921 - 2008)

MERLE OBERON (1911 - 1979)

LOUIS CALHERN (1895 - 1956)