I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:16 pm I accidentally came across a topless photo of Lynley on this website when searching for other times her name was brought up here. That was unexpected.
Didn't she pose for Playboy when older? I think so.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:50 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:16 pm I accidentally came across a topless photo of Lynley on this website when searching for other times her name was brought up here. That was unexpected.
Didn't she pose for Playboy when older? I think so.
Just did a search, and she did indeed pose for them in 1965, around the time Bunny Lake is Missing was released.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:59 pm A few notes on recently watched things.

The Egyptian (1954) was a bit too stodgy for me, not helped by an incredibly murky print.

Blue Denim (1959) has Brandon De Wilde and Carol Lynley as teens suddenly expecting a baby, which puts a wrench into their plans. The film is astutely observed and generally well-played.
1. you must've seen an off-brand print of THE EGYPTIAN somewhere because it played a long time ago on THAT CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK FOR CLASSIC MOVIES and I watched a lot of it and I still remember being surprised by how GOOD-LOOKING THE FILM WAS (the COLORS are like something out of a LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK) and also how GOOD JOHN CARRADINE IS in what I think is his only scene? He has a extended bit of dialogue where (as i recall) he compares the fleeting nature of life with the sands of the desert. i think it was THE FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN JOHN CARRADINE actually act, and damn! he could do it.

2. you might know this, but the trailer for BLUE DENIM is narrated by none other than MISS JOAN CRAWFORD. i have no idea if there was a PEPSI TIE IN, but it's entirely possible. EDIT: Looks like her bit was filmed on the set of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, makes sense as it was for FOX.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:47 am
CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:59 pm A few notes on recently watched things.

The Egyptian (1954) was a bit too stodgy for me, not helped by an incredibly murky print.

Blue Denim (1959) has Brandon De Wilde and Carol Lynley as teens suddenly expecting a baby, which puts a wrench into their plans. The film is astutely observed and generally well-played.
1. you must've seen an off-brand print of THE EGYPTIAN somewhere because it played a long time ago on THAT CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK FOR CLASSIC MOVIES and I watched a lot of it and I still remember being surprised by how GOOD-LOOKING THE FILM WAS (the COLORS are like something out of a LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK) and also how GOOD JOHN CARRADINE IS in what I think is his only scene? He has a extended bit of dialogue where (as i recall) he compares the fleeting nature of life with the sands of the desert. i think it was THE FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN JOHN CARRADINE actually act, and damn! he could do it.

2. you might know this, but the trailer for BLUE DENIM is narrated by none other than MISS JOAN CRAWFORD. i have no idea if there was a PEPSI TIE IN, but it's entirely possible. EDIT: Looks like her bit was filmed on the set of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, makes sense as it was for FOX.

YES! I'm sure TCM has run it from time to time as I can't think where else I could've seen it before (and I have) These are good kids! I wonder how or why she agreed to do that.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 8:39 am YES! I'm sure TCM has run [BLUE DENIM] from time to time as I can't think where else I could've seen it before (and I have) These are good kids! I wonder how or why [CRAWFORD] agreed to do that.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 9:13 am
Hibi wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 8:39 am YES! I'm sure TCM has run [BLUE DENIM] from time to time as I can't think where else I could've seen it before (and I have) These are good kids! I wonder how or why [CRAWFORD] agreed to do that.
LOL!!!!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:47 am

MS CRAWFORD: "This is the story of the ahftuhmahth [aftermath] . . ."

I posted this trailer in my BLUE DENIM thread on the old TCM message boards.
Folks who posted at or visited those boards will remember how the BLUE DENIM thread morphed into one of those amazing threads where we talked about all kinds of topics.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HOO BOY.

All right, I want to preface this with the fact that I am compelled to write about my experience watching this film BUT the subject matter is not for everyone.

sigh.

see my recent review for BURIAL GROUND in re: my opinions on ITALIAN EXPLOITATION CINEMA OF THE 70S and 80S and also a brief word on my odd sadomasochistic tendencies in film viewing.

that said, I watched SALON KITTY (1976)- GOD FORGIVE ME- but it's a title I've been searching for for a while. it is an ITALIAN NAZI EXPLOITATION FILM somewhat along the lines of THE DAMNED and THE NIGHT PORTER by the guy who later directed CALIGULA.

Tender, thoughtful, heartwarming stuff as you can imagine.

it's about espionage and HIGH FASHION and a brothel for Nazis. INGRID THULIN is the titular KITTY- a MADAME in 1939 GERMANY and she is kind of wonderfully awful- sort of a DOLLAR GENERAL HILDEGARDE KNEFF who isn't above serving nipple in spite of the fact she is roughly 400 years old.

have you ever been watching CABARET and thought to yourself "well, this is fun, but I kinda wish they'd work 100 times as many NAZIS into the story, but still keep the "feel" of the piece"?

Well Brother, this is the film for you.

Also, are you by any chance that guy in the third row clapping passionately for the SPRINGTIME FOR HITLER opening number in THE PRODUCERS?

You know what else? This film is not entirely awful-[/b] and for some reason, at 2 HOURS AND 5 MINUTES and with only about 35 minutes of ACTUAL PLOT (that does not start until the second act, by the way) WHAT STORY THERE IS is ACTUALLY COMPELLING ENOUGH TO KEEP YOU AROUND TO THE END.

And also the full frontal male nudity.

One thing I will say for the director- and not just because I read it on the imdb trivia page- HE IS REALLY GOOD AT INCORPORATING REFLECTED AND PROJECTED IMAGES INTO HIS SHOTS. there are swastikas over naked women and shown in marble floors in pretty artfully and complex ways, also the images are not badly staged.

everyone is DUBBED, it's saturated as HELL, there is also some high fashion, a character wears a copy of the BLACK AND WHITE GOWN ADRIAN DID FOR JOAN CRAWFORD IN GRAND HOTEL and it works.

there is also A LOT OF VAGINA in this film. Like wow, from just, all the angles. and heavy sexual content that I'd rather not describe. apparently i got to see "THE FULL VERSION" oh and there is a lot of FULL FRONTAL MALE NUDITY and HELMUT BERGER plays more or less the same character as he did in THE DAMNED only without the cross-dressing.

Oh, JOHN IRELAND is in this. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [HE SEEMS SLOSHED, I guess it was a free trip to Italy and all the clams he could eat)

I saw this on "FAWESOME" with about 12 commercial breaks which were 2-3 minutes a piece- just throwing that out there, i'm sure ALLSTATE and SUBWAY would be THRILLED to know THEIR NAMES were attached even casually to THIS
CinemaInternational

Hey, Lorna, I saw part of one of your favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes last night, Jessica Behind Bars with the women's prison riot. Remember when I thought on the old boards of a way to use that episode as part of a way to cap off the series in grand fashion?
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 2:05 pm Hey, Lorna, I saw part of one of your favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes last night, Jessica Behind Bars with the women's prison riot. Remember when I thought on the old boards of a way to use that episode as part of a way to cap off the series in grand fashion?
Actually, I hope you forgive me, but no. I can’t say as I recall that exactly at the moment. (It’s been a wild couple years)
Refresh me.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

(It’s funny I was watching that episode too.)

Love how Adrienne Barbeau keeps improperly handling her pump shotgun throughout the ep though
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:11 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 2:05 pm Hey, Lorna, I saw part of one of your favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes last night, Jessica Behind Bars with the women's prison riot. Remember when I thought on the old boards of a way to use that episode as part of a way to cap off the series in grand fashion?
Actually, I hope you forgive me, but no. I can’t say as I recall that exactly at the moment. (It’s been a wild couple years)
Refresh me.
I suggested that, instead of the four TV movies that followed the show, they could have capped off the series around 1997 or 1998 with a two night 4 hour TV event called The Siege of Cabot Cove, where there was a big jailbreak at the women's prison and Adrienne Barbeau, backed up by some of the female killers that Jessica put away in Cabot Cove over the years (think Carrie Snodgress, Holland Taylor, Susan Clark, Marion Seldes, Carroll Baker, etc.) would hold the town hostage as revenge, while Jessica and friends get unlikely help from a group of recent female parolees who would be played by veterans of 40s/50s noirs. And after all the chaos would be stopped, Jessica would finally follow through on years on build-up and marry Seth Hazlitt, with the ladies from Loretta's Beauty Parlor as her bridesmaids.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:13 pm (It’s funny I was watching that episode too.)

Love how Adrienne Barbeau keeps improperly handling her pump shotgun throughout the ep though
Ah , Adrienne Barbeau!
Loved her as Catwoman in BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lorna wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:13 pm
I believe that I have never watched any movie or television programme in which she was intelligent and/or incompetent in any manner.

Perhaps that is why my little Fuzzy calls her: Adrienne Bimbo
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:19 pm
Lorna wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:11 pm
Refresh me.
I suggested that, instead of the four TV movies that followed the show, they could have capped off the series around 1997 or 1998 with a two night 4 hour TV event called The Siege of Cabot Cove, where there was a big jailbreak at the women's prison and Adrienne Barbeau, backed up by some of the female killers that Jessica put away in Cabot Cove over the years (think Carrie Snodgress, Holland Taylor, Susan Clark, Marion Seldes, Carroll Baker, etc.) would hold the town hostage as revenge, while Jessica and friends get unlikely help from a group of recent female parolees who would be played by veterans of 40s/50s noirs. And after all the chaos would be stopped, Jessica would finally follow through on years on build-up and marry Seth Hazlitt, with the ladies from Loretta's Beauty Parlor as her bridesmaids.
Cabot Cove - highest murder rate per capita in the country. Even though Jessica solved most of her crimes elsewhere, the writers still managed to knock off about 5 Cabot Cove citizens and/or visitors every year, which is a lot for a town of 3500 people.