DANE CLARK (1912 - 1998)

DUB TAYLOR (1907 - 1994)

MADELEINE CARROLL (1906 - 1987)

WILLIAM FRAWLEY (1887 - 1966)
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've never really appreciated Burt Lancaster before, until now. Was he an athlete or circus performer when he was younger?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Yes and yes, Alison.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Alfred Hitchcock getting a chuckle from Farley Granger, John Dall & James Stewart on the set of "Rope"
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Jackie Gleason - probably one of the most overlooked Renaissance men of 20th Century show business: motion picture/television actor, comedian, screen writer, producer, director, televison drama pioneer, music composer, author, poet, philanthropist, practical architect, charitable fundraiser, sports enthusiast, art critic . .
Those who knew him best swore that at its largest, his waistline was always dwarfed by his intellect, and his heart.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I've never really appreciated Burt Lancaster before, until now. Was he an athlete or circus performer when he was younger?
Burt Lancaster came of age in the depths of the Depression and, after a stint as a college student at NYU, worked as a circus acrobat in a series of small to mid-size rather careworn circuses, acquiring some of his canniness and that brashly intelligent glamour that he would later incorporate into his roles. Describing his flight from a life of familial responsibility to his mother and siblings in East Harlem during the Depression, he later characterized his choice as "running away to join the circus." An injury eventually forced him to give up the profession. During WWII, he joined the Army and performed in shows for the USO entertaining the soldiers with his athleticism and stage presence. Remarkably, Lancaster only became a working "legitimate" actor by the time he was in his '30s.

When he arrived in Hollywood after the war, he said it "was nothing more than a big circus." For examples of his gifted athleticism on film you might enjoy The Flame and the Arrow (1950), Jim Thorpe, All American (1951), The Crimson Pirate (1952), Trapeze (1956), The Train (1964), The Swimmer (1968), and, believe it or not, Visconti's The Leopard (1963). Or you might just want to watch him walk across a room in any of the movies he made in his prime.* He was one of the most graceful actors who ever stepped in front of the camera.

Btw, you might enjoy Kate Buford's bio of the actor, Burt Lancaster: An American Life, which fills in many of the details of this fascinating period in the actor's life. One of the other legacies of his circus career was also the presence of little Nick Cravat in several of his movies. Cravat and Lancaster had been friends since boyhood and appeared in a circus act together as "Lang & Cravat." Nick, a pint size ball of kinetic energy, was often a silent sidekick and appeared with Lancaster in movies from The Flame and the Arrow (1950) to The Island of Doctor Moreau (1977). Both men passed away within months of one another. You can read more about Lancaster, Cravat, and their circus days at this website created by Nick's daughter.

Circus veterans Burt and Nick in The Crimson Pirate.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the follow up, Moira. I am on a Burt binge.... The Killers yesterday (did ANYONE ever get such a sexy and exciting first role?) and staring at that bee-yootiful photo a page or so back.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote: .... The Killers yesterday (did ANYONE ever get such a sexy and exciting first role?)
Well, although the vehicle was smaller in scope & less charismatic, Charlton Heston did get the same sort of "who is that?!" rave for his debut (from out of nowhere) in 1950's Dark City.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

WHY did you remind me of Charlton Heston????? Now I have to go back and look at Burt again..... :lol:
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:WHY did you remind me of Charlton Heston????? Now I have to go back and look at Burt again..... :lol:
Holy Moses . . . I apologize!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 27th. BIRTHDAYS

VAN WILLIAMS is 76 today

ELIZABETH TAYLOR is 78 today

JOANNE WOODWARD is 80 today

JOAN BENNETT (1910 - 1990)

FRANCHOT TONE (1905 - 1968)

REGINALD GARDINER (1903 - 1980)

ED BROPHY (1895 - 1960)

WILLIAM DEMAREST (1892 - 1983)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote:FEBRUARY 27th. BIRTHDAYS

VAN WILLIAMS is 76 today
Thanks, Mongo; now I've got the "Surfside 6" theme earworming my brain for the rest of the day!
{ . . what's that? . . is it an address? . . where is it? . . }
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Sorry, Klondike.
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moira, thanks for filling me in. Of those films listed I've only seen The Killers and The Leopard and I've only really read what Shelley Winters said about him and it's a tad biased. I'll check out the biography.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Peter Lorre and his pussy cats

It's Sophia Loren with puppy love
Joseph Goodheart