I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 7th, 2024, 1:18 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 6th, 2024, 7:10 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 6th, 2024, 2:36 pm

I also like Adrienne Barbeau in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, another movie directed by John Carpenter.

As some posters here who also posted on the old TCM message boards may know, I hate the movie GREASE (I love GREASE 2 though), but I do like the Original Broadway Cast Album of GREASE and especially love "There Are Worse Things I Could Do," sung by Adrienne Barbeau (who played Betty Rizzo is the original Broadway production of the musical).

I also like Adrienne Barbeau's recording of "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee" on the Grease Original Broadway Cast Album better than the one from the movie.

I like the Broadway version of "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee" too.

It contains the original lyrics:
"No, no, no, Sal Mineo
I would never stoop so low."
There is a story behind that lyric. They changed it for the movie since Sal Mineo had recently been killed, out of respect for the deceased, and changed the lyric to be about Elvis. The day they filmed that scene was the day Elvis died. (August 1977)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: April 7th, 2024, 11:30 am
Swithin wrote: April 7th, 2024, 10:30 am
Lorna wrote: April 7th, 2024, 8:46 am

I see you and I hear you.

Shelley Winters achieved a lot in her life, and throughout it she had to endure a lot of really tacky and obnoxious jokes about her appearance that were completely uncalled for. In fact, I’ll even say that when she first hit the scene in the late 40s and 50s, she was especially attractive and it was really nice to see a woman who wasn’t a size 4.

When I make fun of Shelley Winters it’s for her being a deranged egomaniac who considered herself quite a serious method actor in spite of the fact that she said “HELL YEAH” to pretty much everything that was offered to her, including an Italian octopus movie, a role as a lesbian pimp named “BIG MAMA” the same year that she was nominated for “the Poseidon adventure” and a film called “the visitor” that just has to be seem to be believed. Also, it’s worth it to read the accounts of Neil Patrick Harris and Debbie Reynolds, who both had to work with her- (Harris actually had a particularly disturbing account in that he was a child when they work together on a movie, and she apparently went on a huge tirade and told him the film was going to flop and It was going to be entirely his fault.)

Edit- I like Shelley Winters a lot better than I like Rod Steiger, but they are cut from similar cloth as far as actors, whose performances have not always aged well, even though they were in their day considered to be the definition of “the CRAFT. “
"There are no more islands, Maestro. I won't be singing where I'm going." -- Shelley Winters to Liberace in South Sea Sinner (1950)

A movie I long to see again is South Sea Sinner, an enjoyable Sadie Thompson-type story about a "bad girl" who sings in the islands. Shelley Winters plays the lead, with excellent support from Liberace, who plays her accompanist; Luther Adler, who plays the villain; and Macdonald Carey, who plays the romantic interest.

New film to me. Was Shelley Winters dubbed in this film? I know she was on Broadway - she was the Ado Annie replacement in the original run of Oklahoma! - but Ado Annie is usually cast with an eye to the comedy rather than singing quality.
Yes she was dubbed. But we get to hear her sing in this clip with Frank Sinatra from Meet Danny Wilson:

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

THE ADRIENNE BARBEAU INTERPRETATION was a really good version of LOOK AT ME, I'M SANDRA DEE...and yet the line "AS FOR YEW, TROY DONAHUE, I KNOW WHAT YEW WANNA DO!" will FOREVER be OWNED by STOCKARD CHANNING.

Hell, they should make it her epitaph.

EDIT- "STOOP SO LOW FOR SAL MINEO"????? I THINK NOT, GIRL. YOU SHOULD BE SO ****ING LUCKY (on multiple fronts)

edit, I'm also NOT MAD AT THIS WIG...Although I do wonder if it later showed up on a certain HOUR LONG CBS MYSTERY DRAMA STARRING A CERTAIN THREE TIME ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE.

(ON SECOND INSPECTION, NAH, IT'S TOO REALISTIC AND CONVINCING TO BE A WIG ON MsW)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LiamCasey wrote: April 5th, 2024, 6:41 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 5th, 2024, 5:44 pm I would never get tired of talking about Murder She Wrote (or 80s drama series in general). And no, there was nothing wrong or amiss with talking about Italian grindhouse cinema. You can speak of any film you wish. :)
Seconded!
Thirded!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 6th, 2024, 6:57 pm
Lorna wrote: April 1st, 2024, 7:41 am

Image (seriously, i read that at 5:00 am this morning and I am STILL laughing.)
Aww, guys. leave Shelley alone . . .

Shelley Winters achieved a lot in her life, and throughout it she had to endure a lot of really tacky and obnoxious jokes about her appearance that were completely uncalled for. In fact, I’ll even say that when she first hit the scene in the late 40s and 50s, she was especially attractive and it was really nice to see a woman who wasn’t a size 4.

When I make fun of Shelley Winters it’s for her being a deranged egomaniac who considered herself quite a serious method actor in spite of the fact that she said “HELL YEAH” to pretty much everything that was offered to her, including an Italian killer octopus movie, a role as a lesbian pimp named “BIG MAMA” the same year that she was nominated for “the Poseidon adventure” and a film called “the visitor” that just has to be seem to be believed. Also, it’s worth it to read the accounts of Neil Patrick Harris and Debbie Reynolds, who both had to work with her- (Harris actually had a particularly disturbing account in that he was a child when they work together on a movie, and she apparently went on a huge tirade and told him the film was going to flop and It was going to be entirely his fault.)

Edit- I like Shelley Winters a lot better than I like Rod Steiger, but they are cut from similar cloth as far as actors, whose performances have not always aged well, even though they were in their day considered to be the definition of “the CRAFT. “
What film of Shelly's was Neil Patrick Harris in? I've seen that film where Shelly plays a Lezzie mob boss. One of those Cleopatra Jones films. (TCM aired it a few years back). Awful!
Last edited by Hibi on April 8th, 2024, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

I've never seen an episode of MSW and I do like Angela. 😆
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:59 am
BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 6th, 2024, 6:57 pm

Aww, guys. leave Shelley alone . . .

When I make fun of Shelley Winters it’s for her being a deranged egomaniac who considered herself quite a serious method actor in spite of the fact that she said “HELL YEAH” to pretty much everything that was offered to her, including an Italian killer octopus movie, a role as a lesbian pimp named “BIG MAMA” the same year that she was nominated for “the Poseidon adventure” and a film called “the visitor” that just has to be seem to be believed. Also, it’s worth it to read the accounts of Neil Patrick Harris and Debbie Reynolds, who both had to work with her- (Harris actually had a particularly disturbing account in that he was a child when they work together on a movie, and she apparently went on a huge tirade and told him the film was going to flop and It was going to be entirely his fault.)

What film of Shelly's was Neil Patrick Harris in? I've seen that film where Shelly plays a Lezzie mob boss. One of those Cleopatra Jones films. Awful!
It was 1988's Purple People Eater. Also starred Ned Beatty and Peggy Lipton. Never seen it (or heard of it, for that matter), but it looks about as good as you might imagine...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:27 am
Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:59 am

What film of Shelly's was Neil Patrick Harris in? I've seen that film where Shelly plays a Lezzie mob boss. One of those Cleopatra Jones films. Awful!
It was 1988's Purple People Eater. Also starred Ned Beatty and Peggy Lipton. Never seen it (or heard of it, for that matter), but it looks about as good as you might imagine...
I've never heard of it either, but that's par for the course for many of Shelley's later films.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 11:05 am
txfilmfan wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:27 am
I've never heard of it either, but that's par for the course for many of Shelley's later films.
Sure looks strange to me.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Chubby Checker is in it!!!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

dianedebuda wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:09 am I've never seen an episode of MSW and I do like Angela. 😆
I also have never seen a complete episode of MURDER, SHE WROTE.

I hope LHF and Hibi don't stone me . . .
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:31 am THE ADRIENNE BARBEAU INTERPRETATION was a really good version of LOOK AT ME, I'M SANDRA DEE...and yet the line "AS FOR YEW, TROY DONAHUE, I KNOW WHAT YEW WANNA DO!" will FOREVER be OWNED by STOCKARD CHANNING.

EDIT- "STOOP SO LOW FOR SAL MINEO"????? I THINK NOT, GIRL. YOU SHOULD BE SO ****ING LUCKY (on multiple fronts)

I'm pretty sure the "stoop so low" remark about Sal Mineo was a reference to his short stature.

(But yeah, he was hot!)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

so, I seem to be ping-ponging between DARKNESS AND LIGHT when it comes to my viewing habits...

WARNING: This is ANOTHER review that is about a film whose subject matter is not for everyone, although it is AMERICAN, not ITALIAN and there are NO NAZIS.

I saw HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1986) on TUBI- [fyi right now TUBI has A TOTALLY RAD SECTION OF "80S HORROR MOVIES" WHICH HAS SOME REAL GEMS. ]

In watching it, I made up my mind 2/3 in that I wasn't going to post a review, because it is a VILE MOVIE.

And here I cut and paste a definition of "VILE" from google:
Vile is something or someone so morally wrong or offensive as to be thoroughly disgusting. Are you appalled by someone's sordid, despicable, ugly and just generally awful behavior? Then it's probably vile, too.

but here is the thing: while it is a VILE MOVIE it is SUPPOSED TO BE VILE, and OH MY GOD, IT IS SO ARTFULLY DONE IN ALMOST ALL RESPECTS THAT IT, AT TIMES TAKES YOUR BREATHE AWAY WITH WHAT A TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT IT IS IN FILMAKING and STORYTELLING.

LIKE, subject matter aside- it's an ACHIEVEMENT. IT's legit THE CITIZEN KANE of independent serial killer movies.

I don't think I've ever seen an independent movie of any genre with SUCH GOOD ACTING- especially from the male lead (who has gone on to have a big career, although almost entirely in stuff I have not seen) and the SECOND MALE LEAD- who, OH MY GOD, just INVESTS HIMSELF IN THE PART AND GOES WITH IT. someone in set knew how to work with actors, because even the extras who were clearly locals are GREAT.

THE DIRECTOR absolutely KNOWS HOW TO USE A CAMERA- there are shots in this film that are not only impressive for being in an INDY FILM FROM 1986, but are impressive PERIOD. ALL THE DIALOGUE seems to have been recorded ON LOCATION (as opposed to BEING DUBBED IN POST-PRODUCTION as is usually the case with independent films shot on a budget) and it adds SO MUCH to the overall effect, the sound effects (especially the violent ones) are excellent. there is one long scene in one single take of two actors in a moving car in actual CHICAGO TRAFFIC at night and they have a conversation that we can hear perfectly even though they are shooting on the hood of the car AND they left the windshield in AND THEN the camera PULLS AWAY- like it's on a truck- like it's an INCREDIBLE SHOT that would be hard to get in A STUDIO FILM ON A CONTROLLED SET and it is flawless.

there is also a blending of handheld camera footage (two characters steal a camera and film a killing spree where they annihilate a family in a single graphic five minute scene with no cuts. it's mind blowing.

and as awful as it is, I have no notes on how they could have done it better.

even though this was released in 1986, all the cars look like LATE 70'S MODELS.

also also, this film has SUCH GRAPHIC VIOLENCE, but THE FINAL ACT is COMMITTED OFF SCREEN and the EFFECT ON THE VIEWER is DEVASTATING.

A genuine work of art.

Jesus, forgive me.

again, this is on TUBI
and the commercial breaks were minimal and a handful were only 30 seconds long.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Lorna wrote: April 9th, 2024, 8:42 am s

I saw HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1986) on TUBI- [fyi right now TUBI has A TOTALLY RAD SECTION OF "80S HORROR MOVIES" WHICH HAS SOME REAL GEMS. ]

It's been years since I saw it but never forgot it. You want to look away but somehow cannot. It reminded me of 1970s movies with it's grainy photography and low life characters.

It is a movie that does not let you off the hook about the characters. One scene they kill a scummy criminal who is trying to rip them off and soon after they are killing an innocent woman in her home. It seems to be telling us that these guys are not to be given a pass no matter what they do.

I doubt if I will ever watch it again but am glad I did since, as you say, the filmmakers know what they are doing.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:26 pm
Lorna wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:31 am THE ADRIENNE BARBEAU INTERPRETATION was a really good version of LOOK AT ME, I'M SANDRA DEE...and yet the line "AS FOR YEW, TROY DONAHUE, I KNOW WHAT YEW WANNA DO!" will FOREVER be OWNED by STOCKARD CHANNING.

I'm pretty sure the "stoop so low" remark about Sal Mineo was a reference to his short stature.

(But yeah, he was hot!)

Here's a hot photo of Sal Mineo: