Sophia Loren This Month

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Did I say I wasn't a Sophia Loren fan, I think I did :oops:

I'll admit I've been wrong about her. I'm not a fan of her American movies but she's a classy act in Italian movies. Last week I saw Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow tonight I saw Marriage Italian Style.

She's good, fiesty. In Marriage Italian Style she plays a girl who was brought up in the slums of Naples and resorted to making a living during the war selling her body in a brothel.

I can't help thinking of when we were in Naples in April. The city didn't look too much different to what was on screen. The taxi driver was proud that Sophia was from Naples. I wonder how much of the impoverished background she had. She went to Hollywood to make films but she stayed pretty true to Italian films too.

I was even mistaken in thinking Sophia Loren wasn't beautiful. She can be, if she's photographed right and her eyes. They're gorgeous.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I glad to read you, Alison! :D
One should never judge foreign actors on the basis of their Hollywood pictures. In the case of Loren, her Italian pictures offer far far more than any of her English-speaking ones.

Watch Una Giornata Particolare. Then, come back and tell us about it. :wink:
charliechaplinfan

I will, after your review on the Marcello Mastroianni thread, it is a must see :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Now I'm a Sophia fan. I've been looking up her film Two Women on Amazon, there are so many copies, it's confusing. I don't want to buy a bad copy if I can avoid it.