Billy Wilder

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Dewey1960

Re: Billy Wilder

Post by Dewey1960 »

I suppose it does, Nancy, and I agree that she shouldn't HAVE to make either of these fellows into anything else other than what they are. But I believe her character is one that feels compelled to do so. I've always felt sorry for Sabrina at the end of the film; she seems perched on the precipice of a dreadful decision that is almost certain to prove disastrous for everyone concerned. An odd way to feel at the end of a so-called romantic comedy.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Cary Grant would have been interesting as Linus, Gary Cooper even better, Gregory Peck perhaps a bit too young but I like their pairing. It's not the age gap for me between Hepburn and Bogart because I readily accept, Fred Astaire, Gary Cooper and Cary Grant (definetly the best chemistry) I just didn't believe the chemistry between Sabrina and Linus and rightly or wrongly I blame Bogart's casting.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

It's been years since I've seen the film, but as I recall it opens with Hepburn climbing trees to spy on her dream man and soon attempting suicide because she's unnoticed. To me at least, these are actions of someone who is pretty childish and naive, and surely not someone who has already experienced "hanky-panky" before. You don't get much more virginal than Hepburn at the beginning of Sabrina. Then the entire time in Paris, she continues to pine for Holden, and returns older, but to me, not much wiser in regards to men. (Despite the clothes and haircut, still quite virginal.) She may want to partake of the high life, but her goal is the same: Holden. She only starts to mature when she's pawned off on Bogie. And then, she's blinded by Bogie's charms and doesn't see that Holden himself has finally matured and perhaps became a man instead of a playboy.

While Bogie surely doesn't see Hepburn as a trophy wife/girlfriend and actually loves her, he should at least notice that she has only had exactly two relationships in her life, both of them in the family and both with manipulative motives, at least to begin with. At the very least, Bogie should have sent Hepburn back to Paris to live alone for awhile, and see if she starts pining for him. Given her penchant for mature men, however, maybe Bogie knew that in Paris, Hepburn might instead take up with Gary Copper.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nonsense! In Paris, she would have taken up with ....

Bogie couldn't take that chance.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Or maybe….

(talk about "queasy".)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll take Boyer....
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'll take Boyer....
:shock: shazam!
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

As a semi-budding Bogart fan (yes... I have almost had to be DRAGGED kicking and screaming into it.. ha. :wink: ) I have to say that Sabrina was always one of the few movies for him that I would point to in the past and say... "I am not much for Bogart, but I DID like him in Sabrina" After reading all the comments here, I think I can still stand by the latter part of that statement without reservation (but DO admit I would have to revise the "I'm not much for.... " part as he IS sort of growing on me.. ha.)

I freely admit that his age does sort of "stretch" making this story totally believable.. but he does such a good job of "coming out of his shell" for her that it never really bothered me. At least that is how I am remembering it in my mind. It has been some years since I saw this film, but to my recollection, I can still see this hardened, determined, almost "dead" to love kinda guy start to really wake up and take notice of the effect this lovely, enthusiastic and vibrant young woman is having on him... And better yet, you get to see him squirm as you notice how miserble he becomes and how much he hates himself for what he is trying to do to her (to get her out of the picture). At any rate, that is how I am remembering his performance. But again... It has been a while so I might be "over-remembering" him. ha.

And again, after all the comments here I will add that I like the idea of Cooper... or Grant in the role of Linus. It would have been interesting to see what either of these men could have done with it... But I still think Bogie was a good choice and I don't think I could really imagine either Cooper or Grant doing any BETTER... just different maybe. And that is saying a LOT because I far prefer both the other men to HB in almost every way (See all you doubters... I CAN learn to like Bogie... even if ever so slowly.. ha.) :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

shazam!
If I knew he were at the other end of a flight to Paris, all that would be left of me here would be a little breeze.... Image

Ro- I am so happy you like Bogie! I think your description of Linus is perfect. And I don't think David is any more grown up than he was before, when it comes to women. He will always have a soft spot for Sabrina because she was the one who got away.
charliechaplinfan

Well, I love Boyer too but I'd rather meet this man in Paris

The clip is quite funny.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

yessirree!
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Well, I love Boyer too but I'd rather meet this man in Paris

The clip is quite funny.
Thanks for posting it Alison, it's very amusing. Jourdan certainly did an excellent job disguising his French accent!
charliechaplinfan

I didn't realise he had such a great sense of humour as well as being extremely handsome.

It's a pity we weren't of age when Wilder was filming Sabrina, it seems to me we could have made a cracking sequel between us and no falling out between the girls, we each picked different Frenchmen :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I like that idea....