Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger films

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Konway

Re: Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger films

Post by Konway »

Kingme,
Can you list the names of the films that you love from Powell and Pressburger? Its always great to read about the appreciation of these films. Mine are I know Where I'm Going and Black Narcissus. But I do like other Powell and Pressburger films.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Micheal Powell Films that I liked ...

Konway ... I love all these films equally well ... but 1956 Film ... involving the Graf Spee was a good film. It is my favorite of all time.

1. 1936 ... The Man Behind the Mask
2. 1939 ... The Spy in Black (U Boat 29)
3. 1940 ... The Thief in Bagdad
4. 1943 ... The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
5. 1946 ... The Matter of Life and Death
6. 1950 ... The Elusive Pimpernel
7. 1956 ... The Battle of the River Plate
8. 1961 ... The Queen's Guards
9. 1963 ... Herzog Blaubart's Burg

Emeric Pressburger Films that I liked ...

1. 1940 ... Spy for a Day
2. 1941 ... Atlantic Ferry
3. 1943 ... Squadron Leader X
4. 1946 ... Wanted for Murder (My favorite film that Emeric did)
5. 1957 ... Men Against Britannia
6. 1965 ... Operation Crossbow

I have seen all of them.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! You are exceptionally well versed, King Me. Some of these films I've never heard of!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks, Red River ... I seen most of them during my College Days and when I do travel in Canada to see my friends in Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia.
Konway

Post by Konway »

I will look into the films you listed especially "Wanted for Murder."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wanted for Murder intrigues me, too. It sounds noirish and it's great to know there are still so many P&P movies to discover. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Konway

Post by Konway »

SPOILERS

Here is my review for I know where I'm Going (1945). But it contains spoilers.

At Imdb forum, I remember reading about some people not liking I know where I'm Going (1945). But I think its a great film, because of several reasons. Its a film that we need to explore much into. Wendy Hiller's character Joan is a likeable character. Through her journey, she meets MacNeil of Kiloran (Roger Livesey). Joan Webster (Wendy Hiller) only knew about materialistic life. Through her journey with MacNeil (Roger Livesey), she became aware of spiritual life. A life that values love, kindness, forgiveness, and other valuable things. Macneil knows about materialistic life and spiritual life. But he wants a spiritual life, because he can find perpetual satisfaction in it. He wants to give this to Joan Webster. The purpose of Joan's journey was to marry Sir Robert Bellinger. Although Joan cares about MacNeil of Kiloran, still Joan is terribly afraid that she might fall "deeply" in love with MacNeil. This fear drove her to make a dangerous decision of traveling to Kiloran. Fear can drive a man or a woman to make decisions that is harmful and evil to others. The famous scene in Hitchcock's Saboteur (1942) where Blind Man asks Pat (Priscilla Lane) - "Are you frightened, Pat? Is that what makes you so cruel?" Anyway, back to I know where I'm Going. During their dangerous journey to Kiloran, Joan (Wendy) realized that there are far more stronger things in life than materialistic things like money and power. In her dangerous journey, she also loses her clothes for her wedding.

She began to realize about the value of spiritual things when she returned back to the shore. Although she wants to go to Kiloran, she knew she is falling more and more in love with MacNeil. She couldn't help it. It reached to the point where she asks MacNeil to kiss her before they both leave their own ways. After they leave both ways, MacNeil enters the castle. This is because he has spiritually nothing to lose. The woman he loved is gone. When he reads the curse, the curse ended up becoming a blessing to him. The curse brought them back together in such a way they can "never" separate each other like they did before. So spiritually, MacNeil and Joan are bonded till they die. What the lovers lost centuries ago in the castle has been regained through the relationship of MacNeil and Joan. 10 out of 10.
Last edited by Konway on October 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was lovely, Konway! Great movie.
Konway

Post by Konway »

Thanks, Jack Favell. Through her journey, Joan (Wendy) sees the happy married life of old man and old man. They are poor. But they have been happily married for 60 years. Interesting touches like these make the people watch the film again and again.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Again may I say, the best work of these two talented filmmakers!
Konway

Post by Konway »

Red River, I didn't know that you loved "I know where I'm going (1945)." I agree about "I know where I'm going (1945)" being the best work of Powell and Pressburger.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I always wanted to see "I'm Going" a 1945 Film ... what you have written here Konway is what I heard about it. This is one great write up ...
Konway

Post by Konway »

Kingme, I send you a PM about the film "I know where I'm going."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Konway wrote:Kingme, I send you a PM about the film "I know where I'm going."
Thanks. Got it! :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wendy Hiller is awe inspiring in this film. Was she ever anything less?