Cute, but with the talent to overcome it

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: Cute, but with the talent to overcome it

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Cutest speckled pup I've ever seen, Paula!

And Michael Anderson, Jr., was adorable. I think I liked him best in The Glory Guys.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

This is reminding me of a friendly argument I once had with my sister as to which were cuter, babies or kittens.
If only I knew how to post the Valentine's Day picture we got of our granddaughters aka The Most Beautiful (and Cute) Granddaughters in This and All Parallel Universes, that issue would be settled once and for all.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Mary-Kate wrote:
pvitari wrote:It's hard to live up to the speckled puppy standard of cuteness. I mean, who can beat this?

Oh my gosh, simply adorable!!! This is reminding me of a friendly argument I once had with my sister as to which were cuter, babies or kittens. :lol:
Pvitari,

Could you make this an avatar for your profile someday ... it is too cute to be ignored by all of us here.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I want that speckled pup!

Has anyone mentioned Janet Gaynor? Cute as a button, but I always sensed an inner gravitas that unfortunately was not matched by her voice when talkies came in.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

How could I have forgotten adorable Janet Gaynor in this discussion?

I don't think it was her voice that was a problem in talkies, Bronxgirl. She continued to be very popular. The problem, at least from our 21st century perspective, was a lot of poor movies with unchallenging roles. Until A Star Is Born. William Wellman was the only director she had in the thirties who was anywhere near Borzage and Murnau who gave her her best parts.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Speaking of cute as a button Janet Gaynor, Janet and Charlie Farrell shall remain my avatar, kingme, but you could use the speckled puppy photo for your avatar.

I've had that photo sitting on my computer desktop for a couple of years. I could never bear to trash it since it was sooooo cute. I'm glad I finally was able to put it to use. ;)
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Isn't Charlie proof that one needn't be short to be cute?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Charles Farrell was not "cute.". He was drop dead handsome.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Yes, pivitari, he certainly was, but there was also something sweet about him that did not detract from his masculinity. The only other actor I can think of who is equally good at playing an innocent, yet virile man is Ewen McGregor.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Sweetness does not necessarily equate with cute for me.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

You're right about that, pvitari. I stand corrected.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sorry, Mary Kate, I did not mean to sound like I was changing up the rules on you, actually I was just agreeing with you about Debbie Reynolds.
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

JackFavell wrote:Sorry, Mary Kate, I did not mean to sound like I was changing up the rules on you, actually I was just agreeing with you about Debbie Reynolds.
Wendy, I'm sorry, I should have been able to see that. :( :oops:

Now, let the party continue...
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Robert Regan wrote:How could I have forgotten adorable Janet Gaynor in this discussion?

I don't think it was her voice that was a problem in talkies, Bronxgirl. She continued to be very popular. The problem, at least from our 21st century perspective, was a lot of poor movies with unchallenging roles. Until A Star Is Born. William Wellman was the only director she had in the thirties who was anywhere near Borzage and Murnau who gave her her best parts.

There are only three films from the '30's I've seen Janet in -- the original STATE FAIR, A STAR IS BORN, and the one with I believe Doug Fairbanks, the name of which escapes me but I think was made in 1938. I like but don't necessarily love her in STAR (the depiction of Esther's driving ambition is somewhat soft-pedaled) but am a bit hazy on STATE FAIR and the Fairbanks. I really appreciate Gaynor in her silent classics.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Yes, Bronxgirl, an the variety of Gaynor's characters in those late silents was amazing. She's very cute in her talkies, but Borzage and Murnau took her beyond cute.